"Cure" for AIDS... help for us??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jole, Jun 5, 2011.

1. jole

jole Member

I just read an article about a man in Berlin, Germany who had both leukemia and AIDS. In 2007 he received a bone marrow transplant from a donor who was immune to AIDS (it states 1% of the Caucasian population is immune...did you know that?). Since then, he has gotten better and now shows absolutely no replicating viruses and is considered 'cured'. The first case ever! However, bone marrow transplants in themselves are many times fatal and cannot be given to everyone having AIDS.

What I'm thinking is, this has got to be just the beginning. In many ways, we fall into the AIDS category, and just speculating......but what wonderful suprises might be ahead IF there is advancement in research. What do you all think???

Edited to say this was on the Yahoo home page, and was written in The Outlook news blog. His name is Timothy Ray Brown. [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2011]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2011]
  2. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Jole!
    I was just reading that article and watched the interview with this man! Absolutely amazing isn't it? I also feel that this could be a hope of things to come. If all of us with an immune disorder have a chance to get better, even cured by some new scientific research because of this man, just imagine! I am very excited to hear what happens next! Thanks so much for your post and I hope that all who read this will watch the video and read the article on this man!

Thanks again, Julie :)
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

How on earth do you figure that we fit into the "AIDS" category??? I don't have anything that even remotely resembles AIDS.
  4. jole

jole Member

There have been similiarities....and if you remember,both are autoimmune diseases. It took a long time for them to decide what Aids was, and where it came from. There has also been a lot of speculation that FM/CFS is a virus. We really don't know, but if they can find a cure for one, why not the other? Not saying the two are in the same category. There are just too many unknowns for us to not be excited about a potential cure for someone else.