Cure for ME/CFS......Please read.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by serenety, Feb 9, 2007.

1. serenety

serenety New Member

I really need your opinion on this matter it was printed in the DAILY MAIL Newspaper in the UK they are claiming that M.E/CFS can be cured by a simple process called "Lightning Process" you can read peoples responces to this article as well.

Hugs Serenety

Here is the link....you may have to copy & paste this into the title bar at the top of the page.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/womenfamily.html?in_article_id=434248&in_page_id=1799
  2. u34rb

u34rb New Member

I think that this sounds like CBT (Cognative Behavoural Therapy), which is about mind over matter and positive thinking, etc. It can help if you are in that sub group of CFS.

But in the UK you can get CBT free on the NHS, if you have the right postcode. Just ask your GP.

In my case CBT has helped with dealing with the consequences of CFS, but has done nothing to resolve the underlying condition.
  3. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

It's a lightning fast way for someone to get your money! IMHO...

Bob
  4. Defor

Defor New Member

Hi, I haven't tried the 'Lightning Process' myself but I know four people who have.
    It was 50% successful because it worked for two of them with amazing results. It's a bit like NLP (Neurolinguistic Programming). Phil Parker developed this after many years of research. He says that we are 'stuck' in the 'flight, fight and freeze' mode. This would make our adrenalin levels unstable which has a 'knock on' affect.
    The idea is to undo our 'stuckness' by deep relaxation and deep breathing etc. You also have to do 'affirmations' numerous times per day. When you feel your adrenalin is high and/or feel anxious or have negative feelings and thoughts you have to say 'STOP' out loud. There are many cd's and books in the UK about NLP. It doesn't work for everyone but some people are cured after the first session.

I think I've read that Phil Parker has written a book about the Lightning Process....I saw it advertised on his website.

Defor

[This Message was Edited on 02/12/2007]
  5. roge

roge Member

are you kidding me, maybe can "cure" a subset of CFS who never had /have organic CFS in the first place

ya maybe can help with symptom control like CBT and other relaxation techniques and meditation as well many other therapies , but it doesnt CURE CFS, any claim like that , I would stay far far away...

but i am not gonna say don't try it...
  6. Defor

Defor New Member

No I'm not kidding! People are taken to the clinic wrapped in quilts and carried in because they are unable to walk at all. Most WALK after the first session and never have to use their wheelchairs again. I know this for a fact because I know people who have done this.
    It seems to work quicker (within hours) on the younger patients or those who haven't had it for very long.
    Phil cured Alex Howard (who wrote a book called 'Why ME?') and he'd been ill for over seven years. Alex then trained with Phil and he now has a clinic in London.
    It is nothing like CBT at all. We all know that if you have ME you 'might' be able to do something one day but be bedbound/relapsed the next day...it's the PITS!
    I am 'open minded' about this...what works for one doesn't work for another.
    Cheers,
    Defor
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2007]
  7. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi
    I thought the article interesting as it is Ester Rantzen who is well known over here & would not write anything about "cures" & her daughter just for publicity. Her reputation would be damaged if the whole thing was a scam.

I've looked into LP and know a little about NLP which is aligned to forms of hypnotism.

As we know the mind is very powerful and underused and therefore can control pain, fatigue etc. I've had hypnotism & know what the mind is capable of even in a small degree.

I'm not saying I'm a convert to L.P, by any means. I'm glad it works for some people. I can understand why it works for some & not works for others as hypnotism has the same results. (some people can not be hypnotised).

I would say if I had lots of money spare which would be about £1,000 by the time you paid for travel & hotels if outside London - then I would try it.

I do not have that money & would only borrow it if I was absolutely convinced it would work for me!

I don't think any treatments should be dismissed but I don't think they should claim it cures!
  8. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I have just come back from doing the Lightning Process in Bath, UK. The process is copyrighted so please do not ask me for details but I have placed as much as I can that is as near to the process as I dare onto my profile.

Anyway, I cannot believe that I am actually in a place where I would never have dared to hope to be, walking (was housebound for nearly 3 years), more energy, sleeping better and positive about the future for the first time in nearly six years.

Please try this process, I cannot stress that enough, it may cost money, but what price do you put on your life and future? Every penny I have spent has been worth it's weight in gold to see the improvements that have happened.

My family and friends are absoluteley amazed at my improvement, this has replaced the sceptisism (sp?) that they had previously. I always had belief in this process, without that what was left?

Sue
  9. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

That's really interesting. I see you've been a member of the board for sometime which for me gives you more credability.

You say you are much improved-could you be more specific. For example did you go from 15% to 75%? Do you consider yourself cured?

I'm glad this has worked for you!

Shar
  10. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

I haven't tried Lightening process personally, or even heard of it for that matter. But yes i guess it could work for certain people.

However i have done so much positive thinking type programs and so on. Mantra's, telling myself for many hours on end that i am HEALED and STRONG. I was doing this especially when i was my worst about 2000 / 2001 or so.

I can tell you i tried various methods, from multiple perspectives and so on, and i tell you now that no matter how much i 'believed' or tried to force myself to believe, that i NEVER got any major results from it. I would say "i am well i am well" and try so hard to believe it, but again my BP would drop and i would almost pass out trying to walk a short distance, as is the way i was back then.

Only later they found i had organic problems with my digestive system, which i had multiple operations for, and only NOW after about 4 years have i gotten to a level of wellness i never thought id get back to. Im still tired and get very weak on and off, but much better due to them finding out specific causes and doing something about it. Not through belief alone.

Think of it this way - if your CFS came about through emotional stress alone, and you spiraled into all the symptoms that go with it, then yes its possible that this LP could work. However, from another aspect, if a man with no arms BELIEVES beyond belief, even KNOWS he has new arms or is growing new arms, will he? No. Thats right, he wont. No matter what. If you have CFS/ME/Fibro caused by physical organic causes, I'm guessing this process may not work too well for you. It might help, but i'm betting it will not be that 'dramatic'.

Just my experience and opinon.
  11. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I wouldn't say that I am cured - yet, but I am much improved, probably about 60 per cent towards normal. The thing about the process is that building your new neural pathway takes repeated use of the process till you have totally eradicated the old one.

I have only been back from Bath two days, so you can see how quicly I have improved by using this process. Before I went I was operating at 85 per cent less than I used to before I got ill. As you can imagine I was getting increasingly desperate and saw no hope of getting well whatsoever.

This process has given me a lifeline to the future, and by using it I intend to get to a relatively 'normal' life. I don't want to tempt fate but I can see the light at the end of a very dark, very dismal tunnel.

Sue

I just want to add that I have the threat of MS over me at the moment and am awaiting the results from a lumbar puncture, however my therapist has informed me that Phil Parker is at present working on a formula for MS people....but I am happy where I am so far, regardless of the results.[This Message was Edited on 02/10/2007]
  12. roge

roge Member

I think Wolverine said it best

I am very open minded and I am glad it has helped some but I am sorry no therapy should claim it "cures" CFS when we don't even know 100% what is the cause or pathology although most likely viral/immune related

and when i read this

<<phil parker is presently working on a formula for MS people>>

it just became even less credible for me, I mean one thing to claim for CFS where dont know the exact pathology and thus a chance and does sound like it has helped likely a sub sub set of CFS patients but now for MS?? a proven automimmune disease that is attacking the myelin sheath of the nerves, please. I can only assume Phil will try and use it to try and alleviate symptoms and not CURE MS as he claims with CFS cause if it is the latter, then I am sorry but how do you cure organic disease that are autoimmune in nature. What is next, LP for cancer, heart disease, ALS, ect.

13. roge

roge Member

what is up with this baord with copy and pasting, rrrrr

the sentance that didnt show in my last post was:

" Phil is now working on a formula for MS"
  14. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

but improvement most definately. I will let you know if my results do point to me having MS and if they do I will know an improvement in my overall capability has been achieved and I will most certainly let Phil know as well with regard to this improvement.

However, I am in a much better place now than I was, and any sceptasism (sp) towards this treatment is understandable but no longer affects me. I only know that I am improving, am looking forward to my future, and most importantly for me the outlook I had (I was in a downward spiral) has changed and I am full of enthusiasm for living my life again which I did not have days ago.

Peace to all
    Sue
  15. roge

roge Member

I am very happy for you and I say that with all sincerity.

I think the major issue is as you say is the use of the word "cure". I am only assuming from the posts (as I have not been to the website) that "cure " is used and claimed and that is what I take issue with. If this isnt claimed , then I have no problem.

I hope your MS test results are favorable.
  16. serenety

serenety New Member

everyone for your opinions...the point i was trying to make with this post was the fact ( which a lot of you spoted ) they are claiming it is a CURE. Yes alot of people may bennifit from this treatment but how is it gonna work long term. Does the ME/CFS go away for ever or not..personally i think this will give a lot of people false hope. Which in the end could cause more fatigue & distress.
    I myself have had congenative behavioural therapy & found it totally useless & i got that free on the NHS ( UK ) so for these people to pay £500 plus & not work well that is disgusting. If it was so good it would be done on the NHS.

[This Message was Edited on 02/11/2007]
  17. Defor

Defor New Member

Hi Sue,
    I'm so interested to hear how well you are doing after going to see Phil Parker and trying LP. You know the saying, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" so, atta girl and good for you...it must have taken some doing, travelling to London from Bath.
    I was being treated via telephone by Alex Howard's clinic last year. It's a similar approach, as well as nutritional advice. Then my husband was diagnosed with cancer so everything went out of the window.
    I'd also consulted Dr.Sarah Myhill after reading her handout about mitochondrial malfunction. I sent off the numerous blood tests and the results of the 'cell free DNA' blood test showed that I have a 'polymorphic' gene. It's completely blocked and not working at all. I have to send another blood test to show just what is blocking it...could be mercury, (I had all my mercury amalgams replaced years ago), a virus, VOC's, OP's, DDT etc. so this should be interesting!
    I hope that your fears are unfounded as regards to the MS.I've read that every illness is a result of toxins so what's in a name...the terrain is everything! Genetics load the gun but the environment fires the bullet!

Good luck and best wishes for a compete recovery.
    Yvonne. XXX

[This Message was Edited on 02/10/2007]
  18. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Well as we all know what works for some doesn't work for all. It seems like such a crap shoot at times. So I'm glad you found something that helps you.

Please, keep us posted on not only your MS test but (since I'm going to be optimistic here) also your continued status on LP.

Best of luck,

Shar
  19. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I will keep you posted on my results for the MS, but also on how I am doing with the LP.

Take care all of you
    Love Sue
  20. serenety

serenety New Member

this could also work for Fibromyalgia, as you all of you who have Fibro,stress is a large factor of this syndrome.I myself have Fibro & suffer a lot from fatigue. After short periods of movement my muscles feel like lead weight, i have to physically force myself to do anything, but eventually my body will shut down & force me to sleep it`s the only way it can repair it`s self.
    Maybe if we badger the GP`s & Consultants they will look in to this so everyone who needs it will have the oppotunaty to at least try. After all what have we got to loose.

I don`t want you all to think i`m being negative, i congratulate all who have benifitted from the therapy.

Serenety.