Cure for my Insomnia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Aug 17, 2005.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

After many weeks of terrible insomnia I am finally better. I originally I was taking 5 mg of Ambien, and still waking up early.

The doctor added Klonopin that I take early in the evening to wind down. I only take 1/4 of the lowest dose pill and it works like a dream.

Around 9 pm I take the small amount of Klonopin, then at 10:30 my Ambien.

I sleep so much better and am beginning to feel like a normal person again the next day.

The doctor was very reluctant to let me have Klonipin because he believes it is so addictive, but I promised I was only going to take the small amount in the evening.

I told him I thought everything was "trial and error" and I wanted to try this. - I am glad he agreed to let me.

For anyone else who is having a terrible time sleeping, see if you can try a little Klonipin in the evening, followed by your sleeping aid - the lowest doses possible.

I know many of us prefer natural remedies, unfortunately, they do not always work. I don't believe the low doses I take are going to be dangerous.
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi PVLady,

I'm glad you are finally getting some relief from your insomnia. There are several people here who use klonipin and swear by it. In my opinion, anything that helps a FM/CFS patient get restorive sleep is fair game.

We are not your run of the mill ,"I have stress issues and can't sleep" patients. Sleep disorders in CFS/FM are one of the cornerstones of the illnesses. What ever it takes ... be it klonipin, melotonin or a bop on the head (LOL) to get into healing sleep is the route we have to go.

I am struggling with some doctor's uninformed attitude where our sleep disorders are concerned. Many are coming around, but there are still so many who advise a tylenol PM to fix the problem. GIVE US A BREAK !! LOL

I'm glad you have a doctor who will work for you. I take lunesta for my sleep. The relief I saw in my doctor's face when I told him it was working and that I feel better was priceless!!

Thanks for posting your experience with sleep meds. You may have helped a bunch of FM/CFS'ers today.

Elsa
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

It was because of Mikie's posts on Klonipin that I decided to try it.

I am really afraid of taking anything that could add to my problems, however Klonipin has been a lifesaver!

I look forward to my evenings now, knowing I will be able to relax and go to sleep. If I wake up, I am sleepy and can go back to sleep. When I wake up at 7 or 7:30 am , no hangover whatsoever.

I went for weeks with terrible insomnia. I do hope if anyone else is having problems sleeping they might try this. My doctor was afraid because of combining Ambien with the Klonopin. He said I could knock myself out and would not remember anything the next day.

With the low dose I am taking that does not happen.

4. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

I also have struggled with sleeping problems for quite some time. Ambien only kept me asleep for and hour or two. My doc prescribed Klonopin recently and it really has helped. I only take it on days when the clock has hit 2am and I feel like there's no hope of sleeping regularly, so I don't get addicted. I only take it about one a week or less. I'm curious about the new pill Lunesta, has anyone tried it?

-GoAskAlice
  5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

but since I've been taking Clonazapam(generic brand) I no longer need anything else! I just increased my dosage a tiny bit due to an extremely stressful summer and now am taking 1.25mg of Clonazapam at bedtime! Its been a life saver for me!
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

My dose of klonopin is 0.5 mg - I am breaking it and only take 1/4 of that pill. Is that considered alot?

I think I will call my pharmacist and ask him. Does anyone have an opinion?

I take this every night so I hope this will not mean I am going to be addicted. Maybe I should start skipping a night.

Thanks for the feedback... I must say though - I am sure feeling better...