Curing fatigue and pain with Sugar?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jane32, Feb 5, 2006.

1. jane32

jane32 New Member

I am glad I like sugar...this is a new study done by
    Dr. Jacob Teitalbum

Our recently completed study showed that Corvalen (D-Ribose by Valen Labs) is an outstanding new nutrient ( a special sugar-even OK for those who need to avoid sugar!) for those of you who want a powerful energy boost. In addition to its role in making and repairing DNA and RNA, those of you familiar with biochemistry remember Ribose as the key building block for making energy. In fact, the main energy molecules (like “Energy dollars”) in your body (ATP, FADH, etc.) are made of ribose plus B vitamins/phosphate. That makes these energy molecules similar to the paper that money is printed on- kind of like being able to print your own energy currency!

Corvalen also has many other uses, including treating heart muscle weakness (Congestive Heart Failure). We were so impressed with this product that our research center recently completed a research study reported on in the national news services using it in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. Two thirds of these desperately ill patients improved, with an average increase in quality of life of ~25%- outstanding for a single nutrient! Who wouldn’t want a 25% improvement in their quality of life? I do. In the study, patients started with a (5000 mg) scoop of Corvalen/ribose 3 times a day for 3 weeks, then decreased to a scoop twice a day, but lowered the dose if they got too hyper from being too energized. The use of Ribose (Corvalen) is a major step forward in treating fatigue with the average CFS/FMS patient in the study having a 43% improvement in energy. This is very dramatic for a single treatment/nutrient! In our study, pain, sleep, and “brain fog’ also improved. For more information, see [web site address removed as per rules].
    We are also getting ready to start a “Gold –standard” placebo controlled study on Ribose/Corvalen in CFS/FMS to follow up our initial pilot study [web site address and email removed as per rules].

2. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

Interesting, thanks for sharing this information!
  3. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

Wouldn't hurt to try! The Corvalen looks expensive, but there are other brands. I saw a 500g bottle of it for 60 dollars, which would work out to 45/month based on his trial. The Corvalen brand works out to 70/month.[This Message was Edited on 02/05/2006]
  4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Does anyone know if you can get it in Canada?
    ((thanks)) Shannon
  5. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

How would have thought a sugar like product would be so could for us. God bless Dr. Teitalbum and all the other doctors and researchers who are so dedicated to finding answers for us.

sandy
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

Thanks for posting this article. I follow alot of Dr. Teitelbaum's writings and studies. Alot of what he has in his protocol makes sense ....

D-Ribose does help .... It really helps if you include it in a mitochondria support plan .... Acetyl-L-Carnitine, alpha lipoic acid (or lipoic acid as it's sometimes called), B12, B-complex, NADH and ATP.

Whenever I can I use sublingual, injections or creams as a delivery method .... Do this for a couple of reasons, 1. In general, I am getting wholly sick of swollowing pills, LOL and 2. I don't risk losing something to the digestive process/absorption this way and the the liver catches a break too.

You can take alcar and ALA together in one supplement ... just make sure the dose is high enough. Also, I take an ATP/NADH subl tablet ... so those are coupled together. The B-12 and B-Complex are injections that I do IM about every five days .... Not more pills, multiple times day!

If you are interested in more mitochondrial treatment, you can google weightlifting / bodybuilding websights ... They have been taking care of mitochondria needs for ages. They will have everything you need to follow this protocol.

Just be careful you trust the source ... sometimes it might be worth the extra expense in a price tag to insure you are actually getting the ingredient and amount needed included in product. This website store would be a good source ... I have gotten several things here and at a good price.

The more popular the product the more questionable some of the suppliers are. D-Ribose was one of those worth the expense for me ....

Hope this helps ... I appreciate the article and the effort to post it. Mitochondria treatment is a "must do" in order to get to remission .... You'll get a kick out of the energy!

Please don't look to feeling all world immediately though ... and don't expect to be clear eyed and ready to get after it 30 minute after taking D-Ribose, etc. It might take alittle time to "put back" what we long ago spent out of our cell energy houses.

If you do feel better / energized soon after taking D-Ribose, think of it as gravey.

Take care,

Elsa
  7. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I did try D-Ribose for a month and I found that it gave me a little energy boost. Kind of like a sugar high. But after I finished my bottle of D-Ribose, I didn't buy anymore because I didn't personally feel it was worth the expense. For me it was nothing dramatic just a little sugar high type feeling.

Love, Jasmine
  8. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

hey elsa,

can you tell me what brand of d-ribose you are or have used that you found success with?

thanks a bunch,
    chris
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

READING WHOLE POST. iS THIS A CHEMICALLY (LAB MADE) SUGAR?

aNNE c
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I found the following article on Corvalen and a Fibro patient.

ImmuneSupport.com

01-31-2005

Journal: Pharmacotherapy
    Posted on MedScape 01/07/2005

Benjamin Gebhart, Pharm.D.; James A. Jorgenson, M.S., FASHP

Abstract and Introduction

Abstract

Ribose was added to the existing treatment regimen of a woman with fibromyalgia, resulting in a decrease in symptoms. It has been postulated that patients with fibromyalgia may have an alteration in muscle adenine nucleotide metabolism, leading to depleted energy reserves and an imbalance in cellular adenosine-triphosphate:adenosine 5'-diphosphate:adenosine 5'-monophosphate (ATP:ADP:AMP) ratios with an abnormal energy charge. As a key component in adenine nucleotide synthesis, ribose supplementation may be useful in such patients.

Introduction

Fibromyalgia is a syndrome that is manifested by generalized muscle pain and additional systemic symptoms of fatigue, tenderness and stiffness in multiple joints, sleep disturbance, and alterations in bowel activity.

The specific etiology is unknown; however, changes in muscle histology, energy metabolism, oxygen utilization, and the neuroendocrine stress-response system have been postulated to play a role in the development and persistence of this disorder.[1] Low levels of muscle adenine nucleotides, reflected in depleted energy reserves and an imbalance in cellular adenosine 5'-triphosphate:adenosine 5'-diphosphate:adenosine 5'-monophosphate (ATP:ADP:AMP) ratios with an abnormal energy charge, have been reported.[2-4] The unknown cause and varying presenting symptoms make fibromyalgia a therapeutic challenge for practitioners.[5-7]

The management of patients with fibromyalgia requires the integration of both pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic approaches. Pharmacologic options have included tricyclic antidepressants, selective serotonin receptor antagonists, analgesics, benzodiazepines, antiinflammatory agents, and corticosteroids.[5, 6, 8]

Routine daily exercise programs, dietary modifications, alternative therapies such as biofeedback and hypnotherapy, and nutraceuticals such as S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe) have also been explored.[9] Unfortunately, less than 50% of patients achieve any meaningful relief of their symptoms with use of those therapies.[5]

We describe the case of a patient with fibromyalgia who had symptomatic relief when ribose was added to her existing treatment regimen. There have been anecdotal reports on the benefits of ribose in patients with fibromyalgia in whom conventional therapies have failed; however, to our knowledge, this is the first published case of use of ribose for this syndrome.

Case Report

A 37-year-old woman had daily episodes of intense musculoskeletal pain and stiffness, mental "cloudiness," bouts of diarrhea, and sleep disturbance. As she was a surgeon, these symptoms compromised the skills necessary to perform her daily duties in the operating room. She was diagnosed with fibromyalgia by exclusion of other diseases and syndromes and in accordance with the American College of Rheumatology criteria.[10]

The patient was treated with ibuprofen 800 mg twice/day, valdecoxib 10 mg once/day, diphenhydramine 50 mg-acetaminophen 1000 mg at bedtime, and physical therapy once/day. She stated that this therapeutic regimen had limited benefit and that the adverse effects from these drugs further impaired her ability to perform her operative duties.

Approximately 7 months later, in addition to her regular drug therapy, the patient began taking CORvalen (Bioenergy, Inc., Ham Lake, MN), a ribose-based product. She took 5 g of CORvalen mixed in water twice/day. She experienced no adverse effects, and after 14 days she reported a decrease in her symptoms. Specifically, she noted an improvement in sleep, mental alertness, a marked decrease in joint pain, and normal stools. This trend continued, and after an additional month of CORvalen therapy she reported near-normal functioning with a major reduction in her symptoms.

After another month of taking CORvalen and feeling "normal," the patient elected to discontinue the drug. Within 7 days, she regressed to her initial fibromyalgia state, as reflected in joint pain, sleep disturbance, morning stiffness, trigger-point flares, and diarrhea. She resumed taking CORvalen, at the same dosage as before, and a major reduction in her symptoms again occurred within 14 days. She noted continual benefit for the next month while taking CORvalen. She stopped taking the drug for a second time after this additional 30-day period, and once again she experienced a reemergence of symptoms. When CORvalen was restarted for a third time, the patient's symptoms again subsided.

At the time of this writing, the patient was continuing to take CORvalen and was satisfied that her symptoms had abated.

Discussion

Ribose is a simple carbohydrate that plays a role in high-energy phosphate and nucleic acid synthesis. After ischemia or hypoxia, myocytes have decreased levels of ATP and total adenine nucleotides. Several days are required for their recovery once normoxia has been reestablished.[11-13] In patients with chronic hypoxic conditions, the cellular energy charge may never be fully regained.[14]

These cells have the capacity to regenerate ATP; however, the pentose phosphate pathway of glucose metabolism utilized in the formation of the ribose that is needed to drive the regenerative process is slow in both heart and skeletal muscle cells due to poor expression of specific rate-limiting enzymes. Supplemental ribose has been shown to enhance the synthesis of adenine nucleotides, rebuilding depressed energy pools in both the heart and skeletal muscle after an ischemic or hypoxic insult.[11, 12] Ribose bypasses the rate-limiting enzymatic steps of the pentose phosphate pathway and accelerates the formation of ATP and subsequent tissue recovery.[15]

Supplemental ribose is initially converted to ribose-5-phosphate, subsequently forming 5-phosphoribosyl-1-pyrophosphate, a molecule key to the synthesis of ATP through the de novo purine nucleotide pathway. The safety of ribose has been investigated in standard laboratory and animal toxicology models and in human studies both subjectively and objectively. Investigators have concluded that ribose is well tolerated at dosages of up to 60 g/day, with no significant adverse effects.[16]

Ribose has been shown to improve the energy recovery time in skeletal muscle and to relieve fatigue, soreness, and stiffness after intense exercise.[12, 13, 17] It also has been reported to have a beneficial effect after high-intensity exercise in sports medicine.

One study concluded that ribose accelerated the replenishment of ATP after intense muscle contractions,[18] and bodybuilders and sprinters have reported subjective and objective benefits during exercise after the administration of ribose.[18-20] However, other reports have shown inconsistent results for ribose in relation to improving short-term anaerobic exercise performance, muscle strength, endurance, or body composition during cycling or resistance training.[20, 21]

Ribose has also been investigated for its potential medical efficacy in both animal studies and human clinical trials. To date, the most promising data have been reported in connection with the application of ribose in cardiovascular disease. Both short-term and long-term animal studies found that the use of ribose after myocardial ischemia resulted in enhanced recovery of ATP along with improved diastolic functional parameters.[22, 23]

Clinical benefits have also been observed. Patients with coronary artery disease or heart failure have decreased myocardial ATP levels. Daily supplemental ribose has been shown to improve cardiac function, increase exercise tolerance, and enhance quality of life in this population.[24]

Patients with fibromyalgia may experience an alteration in physiologic muscle metabolism. It has been found that they reach the anaerobic threshold in their muscles earlier, thereby using less of the available energy-rich phosphate metabolites at maximal work capacity.[25] In another study, patients with fibromyalgia were reported to have a potential abnormality in high-energy phosphate metabolism, as evidenced by significantly lower levels of ATP and ADP in affected muscles as compared with patients without the disease.[2]

Theoretically, the effect of ribose on increasing the muscle energy pool could reduce the metabolic strain in affected muscles and allow patients to assume a more active lifestyle. Considering the known musculoskeletal symptomatology in this syndrome and the reported benefits of ribose in skeletal muscle metabolism and physiology, supplemental ribose appears to have aided our patient in improving her quality of life.

Conclusion

Fibromyalgia presents a continuing therapeutic challenge. Ribose is a naturally occurring carbohydrate with documented medical benefits in patients with cardiovascular disease. To our knowledge, this is the first report to suggest its potential benefit in a patient with fibromyalgia, who had had suboptimal results with conventional therapies. We are designing a trial using objective outcome measures to further evaluate the effectiveness of this product in patients with fibromyalgia

[This Message was Edited on 02/20/2006]
  11. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Everyone!

I just started taking Corvalen a week ago. I'm taking 2 scoops a day, with little adverse effects. I noticed a very slight Herx at first, but I am really sensitive and Herx at just about any new treatment.

So far it seems to be helping a little bit. I am feeling less aching in my muscles.

I was actually hoping it wouldn't work, because it's expensive! LOL

I trust Dr. Teitelbaum's judgment, since I have found many of the suggestions in his book to be helpful.

Also, just for background info, I've had CFS for 16 years, and have a lot of other supplements figured out and have been gradually improving. I did try Ambrotose (another kind of nutritional sugar) and it made me develop nerve pain, which I didn't appreciate.

But I know that different things work for different people.

Good luck to everyone trying this! And thanks for sharing your stories.
    Forebearance
    [This Message was Edited on 03/24/2006]
  12. jane32

jane32 New Member

Yes he has some great suggestions. What else has helped you the most?

Please keep us updated on your progress with it.
  13. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Jane!

I'm assuming you're talking to me. I hope I'm correct in that assumption!

It's been two weeks now since I started the Corvalen. The more I take it, the more I like it! I can tell when something is helping, because I look forward to taking it and never forget to take it.

Okay, let's see.... things in Dr. T's book that have helped me the most....

His approach of treating all the symptoms of CFS at once, to give the body a chance to fight whatever is causing the illness,

His chapter on hormones. Because of him, I take tiny amounts of Cortef and DHEA and also phytoestrogens. (He didn't recommend phytoestrogens, but he made me think about the need for some kind of estrogen booster.)

His advice to drink filtered water,

His advice to take magnesium and calcium to sleep,

His advice to take 5-HTP, essential fatty acids, CoQ-10, glucosamine sulfate.

Basically, I ignored all the prescription medicines he suggested, because they don't agree with me. But everyone is different, as you know!

Love,
    Forebearance

14. lea

lea Member

Is the cortef a prescription?
    how much do you take of cortef and DHEA?
    Do they help?
    thank you
    best,
    lea
  15. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Yes, the Cortef is a prescription. In order to get it, I had to do a test to see if my cortisol levels would rise in response to something. I can't quite remember what it was called. A something "stim test".

But I remember sitting in my endocrinologist's office with a thing in my arm for half an hour, first thing in the morning.

Anyway, now I take very tiny amounts of Cortef and DHEA, because I am hypersensitive to hormones. I take less than 1/100 of a mg of each.

Most people would probably need 1-2 mg of each. Hormones are VERY individual. You have to find the dose that is right for YOU.

Yes, they help tremendously, by giving me more energy. If you are low on hormones, you feel like you're half dead.

Love,
    Forebearance

[This Message was Edited on 03/29/2006]
  16. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Okay, I think it's been close to three weeks that I've been taking the Corvalen, and I love, love, love it!

It feels like a missing piece of the puzzle for me. I can feel my muscles getting stronger, which will help me exercise more, which will help me get back to my normal weight.

I think I'm on the road to getting better.

Love,
    Forebearance
  17. jane32

jane32 New Member

That is wonderful news!!

Where did you order yours from?
  18. darude

darude New Member

I'm gonna give this a try if we can buy this in Canada!!! Anyoene know?
  19. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

from the manufacturer, Valen labs in Minnesota.

You can find their website easily by googling it. (0r, I see it's listed already in this thread) But for your first order, you have to phone them.

Please let me know how it goes, if you try it!

Love,
    Forebearance

[This Message was Edited on 04/05/2006]
  20. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

First day had more energy, but like a fool I used it up. Now I am taking it much easier but I don't feel as energetic as I did on the first day.

Read somewhere it can take up to a month on 2 scoops a day for it to start properly having an effect Fingers crossed.

Good info
    Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2006]