Curious about high titer

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pogo, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Pogo

Pogo New Member

I have had fibro and CFS for decades.
    I have had two very very high rubella titers. I had Rubella as a child, so I KNOW I don't have rubella (German measles).
    OK...I don't want to prattle on and on about it...there is a story that goes with this.
    First I just wanted to check and see if anyone else has ever had a high rubella titer. I've had two and they were 28yrs apart!
    I'm curious because I searched the net and read that a high rubella titer could be caused by Epstein Barr, Reumatiod arthritis, or human parvo virus.
    I thought I might see if anyone else has ever had such a thing.
    By the way, a titer is to see if you are immune to a virus.
    A result greater than 9 means you are immune. Mine was 263!
    Thanks...newbie Pogo
    [This Message was Edited on 08/20/2002]
  2. Pogo

Pogo New Member

I have had fibro and CFS for decades.
    I have had two very very high rubella titers. I had Rubella as a child, so I KNOW I don't have rubella (German measles).
    OK...I don't want to prattle on and on about it...there is a story that goes with this.
    First I just wanted to check and see if anyone else has ever had a high rubella titer. I've had two and they were 28yrs apart!
    I'm curious because I searched the net and read that a high rubella titer could be caused by Epstein Barr, Reumatiod arthritis, or human parvo virus.
    I thought I might see if anyone else has ever had such a thing.
    By the way, a titer is to see if you are immune to a virus.
    A result greater than 9 means you are immune. Mine was 263!
    Thanks...newbie Pogo
    [This Message was Edited on 08/20/2002]
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hello Pogo, welcome to the board. I am not familiar with the titer test, but I am one of those strange people who never had any childhood diseases, measles, mumps, chicken pox etc.

I have not idea what that means, but I did have doctors tell me that I was a 'carrier' of these illnesses, but did not get the sickness myself. My brother had them all, and my children had them all. I also had a daycare center for 10 years, and these children got everything, I would take care of them, but never caught any of this.

I have Fibro for decades too, also arthritis, but it is not really bad, right now its not bothering me at all.

YOu are welcome to put the site on the board for others to read about it, or you can put it on yourself as long as it does not exceed a few pages, and there is no sales pitch in it. Thats not allowed.

It does sound interesting. Many people with FM/CFS also seem to contact Mono (not me). They would be interested if there is a link between this and FM/CFS.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. clprez

clprez New Member

When I had a blood test that had a high rubella titer, I asked the doctor about it. He told me that all it meant was that I had rubella in the past, and that the antibodies stay with you forever, so you will always have a high rubella titer.

You might get a positive titer if you've had the MMR immunization, but since I'm not from any medical field, I don't know that for sure.

This was always good to know when I was hanging around my pregnant friends.

Carol