CURIOUS about msg. board reaction to FM article

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by quanked, Jul 5, 2010.

1. quanked

quanked Member

Full article at link below

"Mind-body" therapy shows promise for fibromyalgia

updated 7/4/2010 10:16:45 PM

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A form of 'mind-body' therapy that focuses on the role of emotions in physical pain may offer some relief to people with fibromyalgia, a small clinical trial suggests.

The study, of 45 women with fibromyalgia, found that those who learned a technique called "affective self-awareness" were more likely to show a significant reduction in their pain over six months.

Overall, 46 percent of the women had a 30-percent or greater reduction in their pain severity, as measured by a standard pain-rating scale. In contrast, of study participants who were assigned to a wait-list for therapy, none showed a similar decline in pain.

Fibromyalgia is a syndrome marked by widespread pain -- including discomfort at specific "tender points" in the body -- along with symptoms such as fatigue, irritable bowel and sleep problems. It is estimated to affect up to 5 million U.S. adults, most commonly middle-aged women.

The precise cause of fibromyalgia is unknown -- there are no physical signs, such as inflammation and tissue damage in the painful area -- but some researchers believe the disorder involves problems in how the brain processes pain signals.

Standard treatments include painkillers, antidepressants, cognitive- behavioral therapy and exercise therapy. However, many people with fibromyalgia find that their symptoms -- pain, in particular -- persist despite treatment.

Part of that, according to the researchers on the new study, may be because standard treatments do not specifically address the role psychological stress and emotions can play in triggering people's pain.

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

that the new DSM needs to include a psych label for doctors who insist that everything they cannot sure is in their patients' heads.
  3. sascha

sascha Member

that there is something to it- but maybe it's more a BODY TO MIND connection than the reverse. something done gots us PHYSICALLY- i don't know where that comes from. then mind gets its pathways going to support this new reality.

personally i can accept that that earlier traumas, griefs, losses made me more susceptible to cfids expression; to SOMETHING taking me over. BUT the illness is as real as real can be. i can never ignore/deny its presence or get rid of it through psycho-therapy (or CBT or graded exercise approaches).

i have applied EFT techniques to specific aspects of my cfids- all sorts of pains, intestinal flare-ups, back going out,anxieties about not being able to do things, and so on- and have truly gotten relief. a chronic terrible neck pain that went up into my head went away. which leads me through personal experience to think there's something to the idea that energy pathways run amok with us as a consequence of our conditions, and that there may well be specific approaches to deal with CERTAIN aspects of our symptoms using mind/emotion that can help us. how much relief we can get i do not know, but i have experienced significant help when i use EFT at times.

i think it is totally insulting when people like Reeves and Wessely in England lump us all in category of having psycho-somatic illnesses. Sascha *don't know if this makes any sense to you who read this...

4. loto

loto Member

with you and aussie...
    sounds like a bunch of TOTAL BS to me!!!!!

Let them have our problems for just 1 day, no, better make it a whole week so they get the extent of our problems.

Then let them say that it's a psychological problem!!!!!!

I would say what I really want to call them and their so-called study, but I'd probably be banned from here if I did that.

5. roge

roge Member

aussie summed it up best

bunch of BS and i am sick and tired of limited research dollars going to studies like this. fm is for sure a neurological disease and likely i say a muscular component too (neuro muscular) . research 6 mths ago showed actual facia (connective tissue) inflamation. the neuro-immune system and facia/tendon/muscle dysfunction is the cause of our pain in my humble opinion , not our emotions. not saying emotions may not play a role but emotions can affect or flare any disease. just as cbt can be tool to help manage any physical disease.

so i guess when i use a certain muscle too much when there is no accompanying change in my stress or emotions and my pain is worse as well as spasms it is because of my emotions, gimme a break.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/06/2010]
  6. quanked

quanked Member

by a friend. When I began to read it I just thought it was one more study trying to prove that FM pain is more about the what is in our heads than what is actually going on in our physical bodies. I was tired and in mind fog so I did not completely trust my take on the words.

I would never deny that most, if not all, physical illnesses has a psychological component. As in most things a calm, balanced, informed outlook will maintain healthy mental and emotinal state that can do nothing but make us function, on most levels, better than if we were not in a healthy mental and emotional state. On the other hand, on days when I feel fairly balanced, and like I am in a good mental and emotional state I still have these dd's and my symtoms do not disappear or are they less severe. I might feel better prepared to get through such a day (mentally) but I am still suffering. I just might complain less : )

I am so very tired right now. I feel like crying--I struggle with my desire to just lay down and stare at the walls or sleep, and my desire and need to accomplish something today. I wonder if I chant over and over that I am fully rested, filled with energy, and I overcome all struggles--I wonder if then I will be able to get up and do what I would like to do. I just cannot believe this will happen. But then maybe I am just not trying hard enough.

All this thinking makes me more tired.

Thank you all for your responses.
  7. luigi21

luigi21 Member

yeah read these books, actually my pain did ease up but replaced by terrible anxiety and depression unbearable. i've read the theory of these books against the physiological nature of the brain and its true, the lymbic system of the brain (the primitive part) is always at odds with the cortext the part that does the thinking and which developed into the folds that we see later on in the brain. so it does hold up scientifically. if you read what the lymbic system consists of it makes alot of sense in fibromyalgia as the amygdal (seat of emotions) controls the hippocampus (memory) and the hypothalumus (which controls all involuntary movements, digestion etc, and pain and pleasure it also controls the pituituary gland which controls all other glands (hormones) in the body. the good thing is the cortex can overide this primitive part of the brain. but again its about accepting the concept and implimenting the ideas.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/31/2011]
  8. MamaT1967

MamaT1967 New Member

I don't know about all this psychological mumbo jumbo, but I do know when I meditate on a regular basis I feel better. What I mean by that is my pain or symptoms don't magically go away, but that I am better able to deal with everything in a calm accepting way. I can't make these DD go away but I can control how I respond to them and it is much easier when you are in a better state of mind.

BTW, I am positive if every doctor in the world had these DD for 1 week a cause and a cure would be found in record time. And it wouldn't be found on a shrink's couch....
  9. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

...being in a balanced state of mind helps EVERYTHING flow more freely...even incessant pain.