Curious about Treatments

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeryn, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

I need treatment advice: I have recently been diagnosed with FMS. I have had it since I was 10 years old (40 now), diagnosed as something else of course. My main problem is sleep. I do not sleep through the night, ever. Pain in my joints is a problem inasmuch as it keeps me from sleeping. I can live with the daytime pain, although I am sure it wears on me. I also dream loudly and too much, no deep sleep.

I have a lot of stress that cannot be changed by cutting back. My husband is mentally ill and needs a lot of care, no relatives around. I am a professor at a liberal arts college and the school year is a 12 hour a day job or more. Enormous stress and anxiety hits me from the job, but at the same time I absolutely love it and would do nothing else with my life.

Doctor put me on desipramine which quieted the dreams for a while then didn't really work much anymore.

He suggested I try Effexor, but ho boy, that felt like the tail end of an acid trip. Won't take that again.

We can add prozac to the desipramine. I tolerate prozac just fine, took it once a few years back during a bad emotional spell when my husband first got sick and it was a life-saver. Maybe that with the desipramine would do the job.

I also have some NASA sleep foam coming. Been too cheap to buy it until now, but my husband forced me to.

I figure if I can just get some sleep, I can make this work. The pain is bad but doable during the day. I do much better in the summer I think because I do not have the job anxiety on top of everything else.

Any suggestions? I should say that I do not want to take melatonin or prescription sleep drugs (except in dire need).

Thanks Aeryn

2. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I too have sleep problems and it is dibilitating at times. I work for a school district and I long for the summer break so that I can stop worrying about the sleep and pain. I have tried EVERYTHING, supplements, herbs, sleep drugs etc....
    The only thing that has helped is elavil. This is a very old anti-deppresant. I take a low dose 25mg for sleep. The deppression dose is 50mg and up. It works very well. I had to go off of it a few weeks back because we thought is was causing bladder problems. I was on 50mg then. During those few weeks off of it I was miserable and could not sleep. Went back on a lower dose and I am sleeping again!
    At this low dose I do not notice the weight gain that some talk about. I do notice the sexual side effects though. I hope you can find that magic potion.
    Judy
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Aeryn, welcome to our world. This is off subject as you are talking prescription meds only for deep sleep.

I take a low dose of Xanax (0.25mg), in the evening at 7pm for 'RAcing brain syndrome', to calm my mind down before bedtime.

Then I take a supplement called; ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6). This has been a Godsend as for deep sleep. It takes about 10 days to 14 days to really feel the results. Just be sure you get the brand by SNAC or from this board Pro Health. Other brands don't seem to work.

I also take 2 1/2 milligrams of Melatonin right before bed to help fall asleep.

I am now sleeping 7-8 hours a night without waking up and no bad dreams.

I also have FM, and the first thing to me to get this illness under control is deep sleep.

If you sleep, then your body will heal those sore muscles, I am 80% better since taking the magnesium supplements than I have been in the 20 years that I have suffered from this illness.

Hope you find what works for you, and again welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Elavil didn't help me to get quality sleep and it left me feeling groggy in the morning, although it does work for some here. It also caused me to put on weight very rapidly.

Klonopin helps stop the misfiring of the neurons in the brain so that one can achieve sleep. I wake up feeling refreshed in the morning. I has also gotten rid of my anxiety/panic attakcs and my sensory overload.

Check our library for the article on Klonopin by Dr. Paul Cheney. It does a good job of explaining why we can' sleep. Klonopin helps protect the brain from damage caused by the constant slight seizure state of our brains from the neuron misfiring.

Love, Mikie
  5. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

I'd love to go the supplements route. Can you tell me more about where to buy the ZMA you mention. Can't find it on this site. That seems like a Chicken Soup way to go, could help, couldn't hurt! I want to try this.

I tried Ambien, but feel weird about sleeping pills regularly. I'll use it when I am at conferences or have an early appointment. The side effects of Elavil really scare me.

I appreciate the push to change my lifestyle. My department only gives me afternoon classes so I can sleep late if I need to, that helps. I need to take hot baths, be nice to myself, etc... Sometimes we need a push in that direction, you know?

Getting deep sleep really is the thing, I agree.

Thanks!