Curious about Vivid dreams would appreciate feedback

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gracepartaker, Jun 27, 2006.

1. gracepartaker

gracepartaker New Member

I am having very vivid dreams and I've headed into a flare.

I am a psychotherapist so I use my dreams and see important meaning in them (even spiritual meaning).

But the dreams I am having now are very vivid like nightmares. But their meaning is confusing (about issues of abuse that I have worked through and aren't active in my waking life)

Do any of you have vivid dreams? Any opinions? are they just CFS doing funky things in our brain or are they worth paying attention to? This is very important to me and I would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Reading the posts have been very helpful to me.

Blesssings,
    Sally
  2. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I dream nightly; sometimes more vividly than others, but if I take certain sleeping pills (e.g. restoril), I get nightmares.

Apparently if you have too much GABA (from benzo/sleeping meds) they create the dreaming, and often nightmares.

And, yes, CFS is doing funky things to our brain.......we're experiencing a neurological breakdown that's creating many of our symptoms.

My past was a therapist as well, and I used to do dream interpretation, but when I started futuristic predictions, I stopped paying attention to them.

Hope this helps some

LIGHT********carole
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Sally, I've always been this way as long as I can remember, even before CFS. Whenever I was about to get sick with anything, I'd have very vivid, rather outlandish dreams and I'd know that something was coming. Sure enough, not like a self-fulfilling prophecy, just BAM. Interesting that you're heading into a flare, too.

I have no idea what it's all about. If you find out, let me know. Interesting... The brain is an interesting place.

Marta
  4. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

Mirapex can seriously do this.

I might as well be awake the whole time I am asleep.

Some of the dreams get very distrubing and I wake up and can't tell what is what.
  5. jane32

jane32 New Member

I have a lot of nightmares and before I got sick I dreamt a lot about tidal waves and the actual feeling of death.

So weird!

I am a therapist too! Maybe our minds are trained to think a certain way.

My dreaming happens more in the morning now and they are weird.

I also dream a lot about what I am worried about. I always dream about my hubby with another girl. I guess I just worry b/c he travels a lot and I feel so inferior now that I am sick. In reality I never think he would cheat but just a fear of mine.
  6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I too have very vivid dreams. Sometimes they really warp my mind for the rest of the day ... they make me feel guilty and confused in waking life.

I am on meds that affect sleep though, so I'm trying to just to blame it on that.

7. patarogers123

patarogers123 New Member

I had a vivid dream the other night about the way I used to feel about my two sisters and mother and how they all sided against me, didn't understand me, and my sisters were hateful to me without either of my parents taking up for me when they knew I was in the right. I woke up very disturbed because I thought I had gotten over all that stuff, but apparently it's still in my subconscious trying to mess with me (I still have a lot of physical pain) and I just lost my mother in November, so I quess it's time for it to raise it's wicked head again. It bothered me a little, but I called my sisters and they convinced me that was all over and done with, and that comforted me a lot. Thanks. pat
  8. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

I used to have night terrors right before I got really sick.
    I would try and fall asleep and I would feel like I was vibrating (my heart would flutter) and it would startle me. I got to the point I didn't want to go to bed.

Then the night terrors, I would wake up screaming.
    After getting on all the meds I take now I didn't remember my dreams. Just recently I have been remembering my dreams.I think I am getting used to the meds, and I'm not sleeping as well.

My dreams, the ones I remember are the ones I have in the morning right when I wake up.(The longer hours I sleep the more I remember my dreams.)

The dreams I have remembered lately are usually of a sexual nature and very vivid. I have dreams about friends that have passed (sexual)
    and I would never in my waking state dream of doing that with them.
    I think the night terrors are issues of child abuse that I need to address. I have not figured out the dreams though.

Dreams are a very interesting subject.
    Cindy
  9. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

Mine dreams were wild and vivid when I was on the remeron. Also Ambien when I was up around 15mg dosage would cause vivid dreams.

Sometimes I will dream on Lunesta but not as often as with the ambien and remeron.
  10. VeronicaVelvet

VeronicaVelvet New Member

Hello, I have never written into this board but read it daily. I just could not pass up this topic! I have had vivid dreams and night terrors since I was a very small child, my mom remembers repeatedly being woken up by my screaming but she could not seem to wake me up out of the screaming nightmare. I still have them today and they do come in waves and flares. Most the time that are not about any abuse or anything in the past, but they are very disturbing and sometimes very bloody and gruesome. I will not go into the details as I even shocked my therapist. Anyway, over the years I have learned a few handy tricks.
    First: What do you sleep with? I’m not talking about people, and this might sound very silly to some, but I mean in the way of an object. I sleep with a large stuffed frog and before that I slept with a large stuffed hippo. It may sound silly but it has really helped me, not only to not have so many bad dreams but it also helps the disorientation after you wake. If it is right there when you wake up then it can give you something to focus on to get your mind off the dream. I have done this since I was a child and the therapist also told me to. I also have a cat and she is great help, but not everyone is that lucky or they can’t have cats.
    Second: Wait at least three hours after you eat before going to sleep, you really don’t want to go to sleep with a full stomached. Depending on what you eat it can really make a big difference. However I do almost have a cup of vanilla or mint tea before I go to bed, this will sometimes help the chest to feel more at ease. The mint tea is very…..interesting tasting and takes some getting used to, but I really think it helps.
    Third: What do you do before bed? I almost always read a VERY interesting book for just a few minuets in my bed and I try to not watch any TV or movies. TV and movies are just too real feeling and our subconscious has a tendency to latch onto it as being real. A book, on the other hand, is more of your own creation. Even though someone else wrote it, your mind will pick up the pieces it likes and create a visual to go with it. As long as it is a good feeling book, I have found this really helps.
    Fourth: Good air circulation in the room. It really helps me to have a bit of cooler air to breathe in while I’m sleeping, otherwise I feel a bit trapped. I have an air filter/fan in my room and it rarely goes off during the summer months. I find that also the noise of the fan helps, the very slight whoosh of the air is a soothing sound. It can affect adults sort of like the vacuum or a car ride can help a baby.
    I really hope that I have helped in some way for some of you; I truly know how one bad dream can ruin your day or even week. I will throw one more in here even though it might not be what everyone agrees with. Pray. I normally can feel if I am going to have a bad night and then again sometimes I can’t, but prayer is a big one for be. I don’t say anything fancy, a simple “Please Lord, hold me and keep me safe this night” will do. I hope things get better for you and take care. Blessed Be! Danielle