Curious about when your thyroid problems started

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SpecialK82, Aug 22, 2008.

1. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

It's common for many of us with FM/CFS to have thyroid problems as well. I'm wondering if your thyroid started acting up at the beginning of or during your illness or did you have thyroid issues long before any other symptoms started? What was the timeline?

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid when I was 14 but didn't get clear FM symptoms until I was 30.

2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I started to get the pain in the thyroid about the fourth year of my illness, but I've had terrible problems with body temperature and freezing hands and feet all throughout the illness. I kept telling the doctor about the pain and he was clueless. So I didn't get a Hashimoto's diagnosis until about six years later when a clinic did the antibody test. So I've had it for a long time.
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

My problems came about 3 years ago. I was already in a horrible flare that lasted at least 3 years but I kept getting new diseases to add to the fun.

4. grace54

grace54 New Member

were the gateway to my fibro. Hashimottos' to be exact. Finally treated with a compounded med and lost weight and pain and gained energy. Some have been treated for thyroid symptoms and their fibro problems have been resolved. Very important to get the right testing and replacement med if needed.
  5. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I started having symptoms in early 2002 but kept testing in the bottom of the stupid range and wasn't fat so nobody would help me even though thyroid issues are in my family.

I kept working a very physical job very very sick for two more years and then crashed with Epstein-Barr, severe candida, and adrenal fatigue and haven't worked since. I finally got on armour in 2005 but by then the damage was already done. I'm some better as I'm not bedridden as I was for the first couple of years but I have very low stamina and energy and still not able to work.

6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I picked up a virus that ended up causing sacroiliitis in my back. From there it attacked my thryoid and I think was the cause of my first FM flare.

I do think that I had FM for a long time, however it was not in the severe realm.

All the best,

7. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

I was trying to see if there may be a pattern - like which came first the chicken or the egg. But it seems that some of us had it before and others had it after - although as many of you have mentioned - you may have been having problems with it long before diagnosis. It all gets pretty muddy trying to sort out the order.

Good for you all who kept pushing your doctor for a test!