Curious....Anyone used this Name Brand of Probiotic and Vitamins?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BLUEROSE7, Aug 6, 2005.

1. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I stopped by the health food store while I was out today to pick up a few things, really curious if anyone has used this name brand and if it is any good????

**MegaFlora (Mega food 100% whole food)

What I bought..
    1) MegaFlora Optimal Potency Probiotic Formula (14 strains-20 Billion per capsule) Was $25.56...and that was on sale for a month supply.

2)For Skin,Nail & Hair (Vitamins,Minerals & Herbal Formula) Has Vitamins C & E, Folic Acid, Biotin, Pantothenic Acid, Zinic, Copper and few others to long to list. Was $12.99 for one month supply

3) For Energy (at least what the lady at the health food store really recommend and said was the best) Energy--Hydrilla...has Hydrilla Verticillata-400mg Was $10.99 for one month supply.

Really really wanting to know if others have used this brand of Vitamins and Probiotic's , I truly cannot afford to buy them if they really are not pure(not the right word there) and good!!!

Any replys much apperciated!!!

Hugs
    Bluerose

P.S. I still have a few other things to pick up, others
    have suggested here, so would like to use a good Brand!!
  2. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Bumping for replys before heading to bed!!

Hugs
    Bluerose
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

but that probiotic is bionic, you want to be careful starting that one, that could knock you on your butt. Sounds like a great value though. I'm not sure how many caps is a one mth supply.

You may find you have to open the capsule and take half, or perhaps less either on your tongue or in a bit of liquid to tolerate. it depends how yeasty you are. So be prepared for a herx. If you've just started using probiotics, I highly recommend doing that.

Mine is 6 billion, Cal'dophilus by Natural Factors, mine are about $25 for 180 caps, which lasts several mths. But they ren't near as strong as yours by over half and I often still get a short herx w/ them.

If you don't have candida issues, then you won't feel a thing. Maybe a bit gassy at first. I've given mine to healthy people w/ digestive upset and painful bloating and they always fix them right up, w/out the herx I get.

jeanne
  4. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

"bionic" probiotics. i can't even stomach my 3.5 billion per serving daily-dophilus from Nature's Best Defense. 20 billion with 14 strains! bionic indeed. bluerose, do be careful with those. if you have a candida problem, they could put you in a stupor and make you feel drunk.

eddie
  5. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Hi Bluerose:

I can't speak to the brand, but . . .

as for price, I usually go to the health food store to talk to the people there to get advice and recommendations on brands and then purchase one based on that information. Then, if I want to continue it, I just search on the Internet and find the same product for less and purchase it there. For example, I found your Mega Probiotic at the Yahoo store for 22.37. Of course, you usually have to pay shipping, but I buy a few months worth at a time and it comes out cheaper. (Plus, I figure with the crazy price of gas, I save the drive to the store and the convenience of it is worth something.) BUT, the probiotics may have been a bad example to pick, as I have not done that for my probiotics because mine need to be refrigatored and I don't know if they would survive the shipping.

I have been using a similar probiotic - 20 billion with 12 strains called Multidophilus 12 by Solaray. I have significant Candida and when I started it, I was prepared for herxing - I made sure that I started it at a time when I could rest if necessary. I also started with one cap. a day for a week and then increased to two. I did not experience any noticeable herxing, but splitting the cap. and only taking part of it at first is a great idea.

One more thought, in Chronic Candidiasis, by Michael Murray, he recommends also taking FOS supplements of 2000 to 3000 mg a day, which helps feed the good bateria and reduces colonies of determinal bateria. It also helps with the elimination of toxics compounds.

good luck,
    Maggy

[This Message was Edited on 08/07/2005]
  6. Bambi

Bambi New Member

we do and guessing or trying to figure out what "might" be right doses or going by health food store workers who may or may not know a lot. I saw a book in a local health food store, one of the big stores,on
    Malic Acid for FM. When I asked if they sold the Malic Acid, three workers there had never heard of it!
    I asked my doctor about it and he said to eat some good green apples, make some applesauce and juice it if I wanted to and forget the pills. He says our bodies aren't even built to digest most of the pill forms of things.

I feel like everything we stick in our mouths from food to an aspirin can have "some" result..good or bad..but I don't have a clue what or
    how much of what to take when it comes to the supplements. One person says one thing and another says another. Then random tests have shown that some of these supplement sellers don't have a good way to be sure of how much of the main ingredient is even in each pill (or liquid) dose. It's ALL so confusing!

That researcher (dr?) in Maryland that is working with FM people (also
    CFS, MS, Lyme, on and on) says that there is no such thing as some of these diseases..that it all boils down to toxicity from the environment, water, the food we eat.

I know there were a few articles on here about him, but I'll have to find
    his name again. I think he is using some older well known Cholesterol lowering drug followed by something else. I get so confused as so many have so many theories of what is wrong with all of us and thus so many different treatments.

How do you decide which path to pursue? I just read an article on here that said to drink lots of mineral water. I drink only distilled water, so take a vitamin and mineral
    supplement..I read in "some" article that distilled water was best. But mainly I started drinking it when I found out they have AIDS patients drink it because of their low tolerence to toxins. And it tastes more like water used to..or doesn't taste is more like it.

I've been guessing how much Olive Leaf Extract to take by how my body reacts, but I don't really KNOW for a fact that it's doing ANYthing beneficial for me. Same with the Flaxseed oil, Fish Oil and a couple of other things I take. I sometimes wonder if a general clean out of the
    medicine cabinet and just trying to eat right isn't just as beneficial. It's hard enough to try to keep the
    oft times foggy brain remembering what day it is, doing what chores I can, remembering the names of my multi pet companions and to not peel
    my husband like an onion when he does something unkind or unthoughtful.

I don't know how you all figure all this out. And is ANY of it REALLY making anyone that much better? I am
    NOT trying to be negative, I'm just frustrated and confused about all the
    "advice" from so many different sources.
  7. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Bambi....I hear ya and understand what your saying! It can be confusing.

For me and others we just have to continue trying things until we find what works best for us, even if that means taking nothing and trying to eat right....if that works for you. Everyones body is and can be so different. I just know that right now...my energy level is at the lowest its every been and im willing to give anything a try to bring it up even a little.....but I totally understand what your saying.

Thanks for all the heads up on the Probiotic!!

Thanks Again for all replys.....Hope someone else has used this Brand and can give me more insight.

Hugs
    Bluerose
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

I grew up taking lots of vitamins. My parents kept all the bottles lined up around a lazy susan on the kitchen table. I still remember the cat batting around the bottle of brewers yeast or dessicated liver tablets until we opened it and gave her some. Yep, dessicated liver. Now THOSE were the days! My mom read Adelle Davis's books, especially "Let's Have Healthy Children", and followed her advice. And we were, for the most part healthy kids.

That said, over the past few years I've come to the conclusion that if I can eat a clean, mostly organically grown diet, high in fruits and veggies and whole grains, I should be getting most of what my body needs. In fact, I've been eating vegetarian since May, and I think I feel better, at least in terms of the fibro. (at the end of June I also stopped taking the low dose oral contraceptive I'd been on nonstop for 2 years, and that threw me off my health stride! I think that I am adjusting now, I hope so.)

I take the Jarro-Dophilus probiotic, and have been very pleased, both with the product and the price. I also take calcium citrate and a magnesium with malic acid product, and folic acid. I also take JuicePlus capsules as insurance, for extra antioxidants and other nutrients.

I think I just got tired of all the varying opinions and articles, and decided that whole foods is the way to go. As the saying goes, we are what we eat. I know that people with chronic illnesses need more of some nutrients, but in general, a high quality diet is the best choice.

It's a slow process, both making changes in food choices and the results thereof, but I believe it is worth the effort. That's not to say I don't enjoy treats sometimes (chocolate! yes!), but I try to make the best food choices I can.

Recently I subscribed to Alternative Medicine magazine. There are frequently articles about health and whole foods in it. It's a good resource if anyone is interested.

Ok, I'll step off the soapbox now. :~)

Peace,
    Beth.
  9. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I am a little confused on this one...

A week or so ago I had to take Anitbiotics, which I really felt caused me to Herx, especially after reading about herxing here on the board, I really felt I was Herxing. I have never felt so bad, weak etc... as I was feeling while taking those Antibiotics and im still trying to recover from it.

But what im confused about is in your above post you were saying that Probiotics can cause you to Herx. But isen't the Probiotics putting the Good Bacteria back in your body??? Can the Probiotics make you feel as bad as Anibiotics, even though this is "GOOD" Bacteria your putting into your body!!

Hope this makes sence...im a little confused. I was figuring that if anything the Probiotics would make me feel better by putting the good bacteria back in my body.

HELP!!! LOL Could you please explain this to me...sorry im completly dumb founded here...lol

Thanks
    Hugs
    Bluerose
  10. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Bump for answers for my last post!!

Hugs
    Bluerose
  11. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

probiotics can make you herx from YEAST die-off when the good bacteria munch on the yeasties. if you don't have a candida problem, you probably won't herx on probiotics.

eddie
  12. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

so much eddie!!!

Hugs
    Bluerose