Curious....chicken or the egg???(fatigue or pain)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kathleen12, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I've been wondering if we have the pain as a result of our fatigue, or do we have fatigue as a result of our bodies fighting the pain?

It seems to me like I get the fatigue first, then after days of staying pretty much on the couch I start hurting more, though I always hurt to varying degrees. But could it be that my body just wears out from fighting constant low-grade pain? Any ideas?
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2006]
  2. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I forgot all about that recent finding. Guess I'd better rephrase my question....lol!
  3. carebelle

carebelle New Member

when I was young it was the fatigue that seem to bother me more .This everyday pain has been worse over the pass 6 years and at the very worse the pass few months.
    The fatigue seems to be getting worse also but I really have to say that I think that it was the fatigue that came first.
  4. kat-E

kat-E New Member

the fatigue was an issue long before the pain set in.

I dealt with severe fatigue issues from as early on as my preschool years. The pain didnt start till elementary school, it gradually got worse over the years but it didnt set in full force until my mid 20s.

Now, I am always fatigued and in pain to a moderate degree, but regarding flares... sometimes the pain sets in before the fatigue sometimes after... there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I just wake up or whatever, and it is there BLAM no way to get away from it until it is good and ready to go away.

I do relate to hurting more when I am less mobile.

5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I had CFS for 11 years, now I'm having some FM to go along with it. I don't see that the fatigue caused the pain but I do know that the pain makes me more fatigued.

I don't think they're an egg OR a chicken. So to speak. lol

Marta
  6. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

The fatigue was the most debilitating to me when it started. I can remember a week that I couldn't get out of bed. It wasn't that I didn't want to, but I just was too exhausted too.

During that time I had pain too, but was secondary to the fatigue.

Now I find that either one can be the start of the other.

Today it's raining and I'm in pain, but I'm also fatigued. Maybe my body is trying to keep me sleepy so I don't feel the pain and achiness so much? Hmmmm. That could be.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  7. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

feels like it comes first. Have had fatigue for years, the pain is more recent. Both are always present in some way, but stress really pushes buttons.
  8. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I always thoght that they were two separate illnesses. Maybe the pain is eventually brought on by the fatigue then. That's intersting. Our bodies just rebel against being immobile. That would be true, then, to anyone wouldn't it? CFS or not.
  9. ChungieDolor

ChungieDolor New Member

Fatigued from years of no sleep, and that knawing pain. I think the pain really wipes us out. And then, we take all those meds and their side effects. I'm spinning!

Sincerely
    Chungiedolor
  10. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I have CFIDS, and my fatigue is always what comes first. Then, when the fatigue is really bad, I begin running low-grade fevers and other flu-like symptoms. This, in turn, causes my pain, which is more of a generalized achiness. Even if I'm not running a fever, I will start to feel feverish when the fatigue gets bad, so I end up feeling achy. It's a never ending cycle, because the achiness leads to more fatigue, etc, etc, etc.

Kim