Current and Longterm experience with DRibose ???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LongStruggle, Dec 17, 2006.

1. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I just started taking d-ribose Saturday. I'm having some positive and some negative effects, mostly positive, however. I had an immediate effect on my brain and heart. My brain feels more whole and feel less tired and dragged down. However, there is a greater sense of spaciness on and off. Mental clarity is better, but a sense of wooziness (sp ???). My heart palpitations have calmed down radically, but my fluttering seems to have increased. Although, for me fluttering is less stressful that my pounding palpitations. Pounding palpitations still present in evenings, but not as severe.

I'm wondering about the experiences of others who have been using it for awhile.
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

"Viruses breathe sugar" so use it in moderation. I find that 1/4 tsp is good. It helps my energy.

The heart runs on fat. The rest of the body runs on glucose. The brain is the most sensitive organ for glucose and it uses the most.

Epstein-Barr virus can cause cardiac conduction abnormalities and myocarditis. Ref: www.aafp.org/afp Nov. 1, 2004

FYI, anything that ends in -ose is a sugar. Glucose, sucrose, lactose, fructose.
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

I started out with 5-10 grams a day but now I've cut back to about 2-3 grams a day, just a little in the morning. It seems to be all I need and I was worried about hypoglycemia. I think I got a good jump start from it in the beginning but now I just use a little.

karen
  4. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I experienced the same sense of spaciness off and on with DRibose. Yet, it does give me more overall clarity. I feel the benefits outweigh this for now. I have been on it for about 2 weeks and am hoping this symptom will subside.
  5. cct

cct Member

allwxrider,

Thanks for the info regarding EBV and heart problems.

I will go to the website (www.aafp.org) today!
  6. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I'm on my third jar, and the jury is still out. I keep taking it thinking it should be doing good things for me. I think it may have helped with my leg muscles in the beginning and got me to walking. However, now my legs are good, and at certain times I can walk several blocks.

However, I do notice I have more malaise after taking D-Ribose. I have less malaise when I don't take it.

Jolie: I'm so sorry to hear you having a "relapse" within a CFS bout. That's happened to me before. You just kind of roll back to month 1. Viruses did it to me everytime. You will pull out of it again, but it does take longer for us to recuperate, especially if you are in the earlier acute stages of CFS.
    Just keep taking your ProBoost 3 pkgs a day, and Sambucol Elderberry extract for the malaise. These two things have helped me heal over several weeks.

Allxwrider: Thanks for EBV and heart palpitation info. I'm going to check out that site. I've been having problems with that recently. I hope it isn't permanent damage, but will clear up when I'm over this bout of CFS.

This is a good thread. Keep it going.

Hugs,
    CherylSue
  7. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I've been on Myhill for 2-3 weeks now, d-ribose, coq10, nadh, b12, magnesium,a-l-carnitine.

The first thing I noticed was my hands stopped trembling. My fatigue is actually worse for the last 3 days, but when I force myself to walk, my knees don't threaten to buckle. I haven't noticed much else.

I do about 6-8 g of d-ribose a day.
  8. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I tried to look up the Epstein Barr and heart problem article, but couldn't locate it. Can you copy and paste here?

Thanks,

CherylSue
  9. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I've been on the d-ribose 1 1/2 weeks now. I'm taking 15 - 20 grams per day spread out; in other words, 5 grams 3-4 times per day. This dose was what my kinesiologist said my body wanted. the research dosage is 15 grams. The longer I have been on it, the better I feel. All the negative symptoms have left and I am only experiencing the positive. However, others things that I had been taken needed to change. For instance, I can no longer take Teitlebaum's infusion energy supplement. For some reason, d-ribose and this product are interacting in a negative way. I also started using Kreb's cycle chelates as previously recommended by another message board user: barrowinnovations. I also started Krebs Magnesium-potassium chelate. I'm far less fatigued, and my heart palpitations have immproved immensely as well. I'm taking zero to very little heart medication. Before d-ribose I was taking a lot of heart medication for my severe palpitations. Both of these problems have improved so much that I think I'm going to be able to go back to work this week. I haven't worked since mid-September.
  10. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

That's great news. I've restarted the magnesium potassium aspartate because I'm low on potassium. I'm happy that you have had such a good immediate reaction to the DRibose. I wish the same would happen to me. I feel like something is slightly off in my heart. CFS does this to me.

I'm envious that you feel you can return to work. I've seen off since August, and I was hoping to return in January, but am not that great yet. I'm excited for you. It's always good to hear good news.

CherylSue
  11. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Just want to save this posting to come back to it later.
  12. Catseye

Catseye Member

It's always encouraging to hear that we're getting on top of this. I think the Kreb's cycle chelates is a big part of me feeling so good. Today I actually chased the cats around the yard. I ran! I haven't been able to run for 4 years! I got a little tired after and had to rest for a few minutes but my heart didn't go crazy and no palpitations! I not only ran, it was a "coordinated" run, avoiding the land mine poopies from the doggies.

And I was getting really PO'd at the big cat for trying to fight the tenant's cat and the kitten for avoiding my husband and me. When I used to get mad, I'd palpitate and that was the end of whatever I was doing; it was "time out" time, I'd have to lay down.

Wow, it's really great to feel like we're winning!

karen
  13. Catseye

Catseye Member

LongStruggle, were you taking ribose on an empty stomach? Or were you taking it close to the daily infusion powder? The ribose can bind or react with the aminos in the powder and this is a form of carmelization. I can see how this might make you feel weird.

just a thought

karen
  14. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I take the d-ribose with meals or shortly thereafter because that's what the instructions say to do. On at least one occasion I took Teitlebaum's enfusion energy shortly after the d-ribose, and it seemed to negate the positive effects of the d-ribose. Later I tried not taking it near each other. But, it was my kinesiologist who noted that my body did not like the combo. As such, I haven't tried to take Teitlebaum's stuff again.
  15. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Hang in there re: work. I was feeling that I never was going to make it. I was thinking I was going to have to get disability and I was not relishing that as I think it is very difficult to get CFS when you don't have FM. Besides I don't have an MD who believes in CFS. I'm currently trying to find a doctor.

For everyone: I would try taking the d-ribose by itself, not with other supplements so that you can see the effects of it alone. It's possible that your having negative interaction effects like I did with Teitlebaum's enfusion ... In the beginning the negative effects of wooziness made me hesitant to persue taking it. But, persevering on it paid off. The longer I took it, and had stopped Teitlebaum's stuff, the better I felt.
  16. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I'm been taking the d-ribose in powder form. Corvalen brand. If you buy directly from corvalen they don't charge for shipping and they give significant discounts when ordering more than one at a time.
  17. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

I've been taking 1500 to 2250mg twice a day for about three months. I've noticed an improvement in energy and less fatigue. After noticing an improvement about a month ago i made my hubby, that has add, take it when he gets up and its made an improvement in his concentration and fatigue.

Angellwolffe