Curves anyone???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by knickelson23, Apr 23, 2007.

1. knickelson23

knickelson23 New Member

Has anyone tried exercising at Curves? (not sure how many locations they have and where). It's an exercise facility for women. I spoke with someone over the phone who works there and she claimed that it was good exercise for people who suffer from fibro. I have an appointment there tomorrow and they let you have a week free to try it out before you commit. I was just wondering if anyone here has a membership there. I really need to shed some blubber. Two and a half years ago I weighed 125 pounds (I'm 5'6") and now I weigh 190. I cant stand to look in the mirror anymore. I absolutely disgust myself. I swear I dont eat anymore than I used to. I think it's probley a combination of the meds I take and my activity has decreased some as well. Not to mention I had a hysterectomy and quit smoking.
  2. LindaH

LindaH New Member

In May of 2005 I fell twice within a month and did a huge number on my left knee. I had all kinds of therapy and while having pool therapy one day started talking to the therapists about Curves. She said I should be able to do the workout without too much trouble. Just be carfull on a couple of machines because of the knee.

In September that same year I tried Curves and went on the Six Week Challenge they startd at that time. I loved it. I felt better than I had in years. I went from 236 to 175 by year's end. Try it. You get the free week to try the workout. Do what you can. I built slowly towards a good workout. The only thing you lose will be weight and you feel better about yourself. One word of advice for you though. If you are having a bad day don't force it. If you can do a light workout, but if you need to be in the bed... you know the rest.

Good luck,
    LindaH
  3. knickelson23

knickelson23 New Member

Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to going. I used to be so active and I miss exercising. I feel so bad since I gained weight. My knees hurt a lot more and I cant hardly bend over past my huge stomach to shave my legs, paint my toenails, etc...Thanks again!! K-Nick
  4. pat460

pat460 New Member

My sister started having unbearable pain in the bottoms of her feet. She went to her knee doctor who said "You don't by any chance go to Curves do you?" The doc told her Curves was keeping him busy with injuries. Turns out the ones in this area don't have you stretch first--they go ahead, start you on the machines, and the result seems to be making our local docs even richer.

After some recovery time, my sister went back to Curves. But she's learned, from her doctor, some correct stretches to do before exercising and there are a couple machines which she stays away from because of her knees and feet. I'm not saying don't try it, I just wanted you to be aware of the potential for injury.

Good luck with it, Pat
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I joined Curves 2 years ago. I usually work out there 5 days a week. It helps keep off some weight, is good for your cardiovascular system and bone density. In turn it helps keep your BP and cholesterol down. My stamina and endurance increased after about 2 weeks there. It's hard to judge how you will do in only a week since even a person without FM would be sore for a week or 2 when they start a new exercise program. I was more sore for about 2 weeks and then improved. It helped my right leg ache less and I don't even get winded when I work out now. It's important to keep your heart rate up to your target rate to reap the benefits of the workout. If I'm really tired on a particular day though, I go, but just take it easier. I work out pretty hard, but have found that I know my limitations so that I don't become more sore than usual. I urge you to give it more than a week or 2 to really see how you will feel. If you are unsure about joining, maybe you could pay monthly for a couple months and then decide if you want to join and use the monthly debit which is cheaper. I joined when there was no extra sign up fee. They do that several times a year as a promotion.
  6. LindaH

LindaH New Member

I neglected to mention this. The owner of Curves at the time I joine let me know I could cancel my membership if I found I couldn't hack it. Just have my doctor write a note saying I could no longer manage the program.

About the strtching, we stretch after the workout befor we can leave. I can't do all the stretches because I can't get down in the floor but I do the ones I can. I started slow and didn't push myself. I have the bad kneem a bad back( bulging discs, degenerative disc disease, and arthritis) on top of terrible fibro pain. I have diabetes, high blood prssure and high cholesterol. All is better because I dieted and did the Curves workout.

It isn't for everyone but you won't know unless you try. Good luck with whatever you decide. I wish you well.

If any of my words are mispelled please excuse me. I sat down without my glasses and it is a bit of a blur. Too tired to go get them right now.

Have a nice day,
    LindaH
  7. droufs

droufs New Member

I had to quit working at Curves because I couldn't handle the exercise and was so fatigued since I worked a full-time job also. I was very athletic before the fibro got bad. I couldn't handle the machines anymore at Curves. There were a few women that had fibro that worked out there.

I guess you have to give it a try yourself. You have an out if it doesn't work for you. The one thing I loved about Curves was getting to know all the neat ladies that worked out there. It truly was a little family.

Do stretch first, even at home by stretching out different muscles before going in there. Stretch afterwards. You can do different stretches than what they show you. Take it easy and pace yourself. You don't have to do the full circuit.

Good Luck!
  8. LindaH

LindaH New Member

I don't see how you worked a full time job and worked at Curves too. No way could I work and exercise as well. I applaud you for the time you did. Hope you recover from the stress of it.

LindaH
  9. dridlen1959

dridlen1959 New Member

I had to quit Curves, it was just to hard on me.
  10. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

I can't even maintain an exersize program at home on my own time. I don't think I could go to the gym everyday.