Cut out sugar, feel better, bet it's yeast.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I don't usually make New Years Resolutions, but I just had to put my foot down and do this one once and for all. I cut out (almost) all sugar. On top of the FM, I have suspected for a long time that I have yeast problems as well. As a matter of fact, I think a lot of people with FM/CFS might be dealing with these nasty yeast problems.

I just read a post about someone asking what foods they eat or don't eat to feel better. So many answers from the posters was cutting out cane sugar, fructose, corn syrup, etc. These sugars feed on yeast in the body, and when it is eliminated the yeast starve themselves and you can get better, at least a little.

I know that yeast isn't a problem for everyone with these conditions, but think about how much better we feel when we examine what we eat? Usually it's cutting out carbs, and sugar.

I did not cut out everything, I still eat organic apples and there is this one health food bar which I absolutely love, it's called the Power Crunch Bar, it only has 5 grams of sugar with 13 grams of protein. I will allow myself to have one of these once a week because they are expensive. These bars keep me full and satisfied with just a very small amount of sugar.

I CRAVE sugar, so this resolution has been very difficult. I think about sweets everyday, but am trying to remain strong, not sure if it will last long, but I have to try for my own health.

When I say I crave sugar, that means that before this resolution, I always gave in. I would stop at the store just to get cookies, small cakes, brownies. Knowing this isn't good for my health or FM or even yeast problems, I just had to find the strength to stop, or at least curb it a little.

I am convinced FM and yeast, for some of us, go hand in hand, yet you won't find too many doctors willing to tackle this problem, even the integrative docs don't seem to know much about this or how to eliminate it completely. What do you think? Hugs to all Chelz.
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

You are right that sugar is a BIG problem for most of us. I definitely have more pain, stiffness, soreness, itching, etc if I eat sugar cane or corn syrup/high fructose corn syrup.

It is usually the foods/ingredients that you crave the most that are causing us the most problems.

If you can possibly try for even 2 weeks to cut out all sugar and corn syrup (there are lots of words used to disguise these ingredients on food labels), you may be surprised at how much better you feel. It is worth it.

After you avoid these foods for awhile your cravings will decrease. I was the biggest chocolate addict. I would still love to eat it, but I don't have constant cravings anymore.
  3. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I have a chronic skin rash on my right shin that never goes away. I put an ointment on it and it get's better, than always comes back. I also have fungal problems in my right thumbnail AND IN MY TOENAILS. HAVE HAD THIS FOR YEARS. I WAS ALSO DIAGNOSED WITH "SIGNIFICANT" yeast in my stool .

GI doc always says this is meaningless.

Funny thing, my stomach and guts always feel horrible and stressed and often sore and like they are 100 years old.

Sometims I get increases in these symptoms so bad I run to the ER. They do their blood, heart and temp tests and always say it must be stress. I find that hard to believe.

But, since I got all these sym[toms my stools immediately became so odiforous they make everyne gag .

And when I get these increased sym[tom attacks in my guts, my leg rash instantly gets worse and itches way more as does my right thumb!

And, interestingly, when all this happens I get massive attacks of mental depression. All these last about a day. get them about 2 to 3 times a week now.

I think there is a tie in.