CVID

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nannoo, Aug 5, 2003.

1. nannoo

nannoo New Member

My husband has suffered with CVID for many years. He is now back on gammaglobulin which the doctors feel may help his polyarthritis (which cannot be properly diagnosed, as he has no antibodies). He also suffers from a constant rapid pulse, and cold sweats even in cool weather, and has digestive problems. He's 48. Does anyone know if all of the above are symptoms of CVID, or whether they could be symtomatic of another disease? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Many thanks.
  2. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

Hi Nanoo,

I'm not sure what CVID is, could you give alittle more detail please.

Rachel
  3. nannoo

nannoo New Member

Common Variable Immunodeficiency, or hypogammaglobulinemia. It is a deficiency of antibodies in the blood. My husband has no natural defense mechanism against infection.
  4. sujay

sujay New Member

I'm not familiar with CVID, but I presume it must be acquired, and from what I've learned about hypercoagulation problems I think it would be worthwhile to check into that. I've had a great deal of success with my patients, some of whom have symptoms that interlap with CFS/FM but don't necessarily meet the current criteria for either diagnosis, and your husband's symptoms are certainly suggestive. You can run a search in the window above and see what you think. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Best wishes to you both,
    Sujay
  5. nannoo

nannoo New Member

Sujay, I'm not sure what you mean. My husband has no symptoms of hypercoagulation, as far as I know.
  6. sujay

sujay New Member

The problems associated with hypercoagulation are so wide-ranging that I couldn't begin to list them here. Just think about what might happen to any part of your body (or it's functions) if it were continually deprived of the circulation that brings oxygen and nutrients to the cells and carries toxins away. All sorts of things might go haywire under those conditions. Go ahead and run a search, and see if any bells start to ring.

A wise man once told me that "the doctor should never be the most motivated person in the room" (similar to the old saws about not beating your head against a brick wall or trying to teach a pig to sing - it doesn't work, and it annoys the pig.) Sorry, I didn't mean to be disrespectful, but I just love the one about the pig. I promise I won't annoy you about this, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that hypercoagulation problems were at the root of many of your husband's complaints (including all you mentioned in your original post). Just let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes to you and your other half,
    Sujay