Cyclobenzaprine [generic Flexeril] 3 in 3 hrs - but little relief

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen F, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I got a prescription today for Flexeril.

Filled it with generic cyclobenzaprine, 10 MAPX [mg's?]. 4/4 pharmacies that I went to didnt' have brand name.

GP told me to take 1/2 or 1 pill 3 times per day. So far I have taken 3 pills in 3 hours....where's the relief of my pain? Where's the extremely relaxed muscles I thought I would get? Is this a really weak pill or what??

Is it likely to hit me much later like a truck?

Will the effect tomorrow be much stronger cause it takes a while for levels to build up?

If this isn't going to work for me, I will have to go out yet again tomorrow searching for some dr to give me some pain relief...

GP today thinks my back and arm pain might be a brachial plexxus problem and that it should clear up in a week or so. God, I hope he's right. But, I'm afraid he doesn't realize the level of pain I am in and what if he's wrong? This pain is really wearing me out and I am also exhausted from going out to all these medical appointments.

I've just had to cancel a visit with my father tomorrow, in lieu of father's day. He lives about 4 hrs drive away, but will be one hour away tomorrow for an appointment. But, I will be out getting chiro treatment or massage or physio, etc and then in bed!!

Please let me know what your intro experience was to Flexeril.

I'm so disappointed!...I thought I was going to feel nice and drugged and dopey and happy and sleepy and all sorts of good dwarf feelings.

Jen F
  2. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Do you take the brand name or the generic flexeril?

Part of my pain is from muscle spasming so flexeril should help a bit.

I notice I do get a bit of relief from trigger point therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long.

I had my homemaker press on my back this aft, the physio this eve and later rolled around on the floor with a cedar ball -- an alternative to a tennis ball.

Why would the flexeril not help if I have a brachial plexus problem? I never heard of this problem before today.

Thanks.

post-pre-medder Jen
  3. Combatmedic

Combatmedic New Member

I just wanted to tell you that you are NOT alone in this.
    I too did not get any relief from my muscle spasms AT ALL, on 4--10mg pills (generic) a day. I was on it because Zanaflex did not work either for the spasticity in my legs. Also, the last time I tried Zanaflex, (I've had 2 unsuccessful attempts now), I fell in the living room and hurt myself pretty good, not to mention, scared the chit out of my husband,my sister and her boyfriend.

I swear to you though, since I've had my gall bladder out, very few drugs do affect me the same as they used to. My mother says the same goes for her, but, we both have fibro, so, who knows? It could be the fibro, but, I don't think so. I used to take one half pill of flexeril, and I would be practically unconscious for at least 8 hours, and it did loosen a HORRIBLE trapezius area spasm from h***.

Also, though, I wanted to say, though the Flexeril did NOT help the pain, tightness, and burning in my legs, and it did NOT knock me out (a good thing), it DID help me sleep once I went to bed. I did not nap during the day or anything (I'm now bedridden again *sad face*, and have been since Friday, something really knocked it out of me), but, when I did go to bed, I fell asleep quicker than I have in years. (with the exception of Zanaflex, and Klonopin, those too helped me, Klonopin helped my legs, also.)

So, maybe if it does help you sleep, you will feel somewhat better or your muscles might relax due to better sleep. Good luck, hope it does the trick for you.

Medic
  4. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

You sure are having a heck of a time with all this!

I used to take Flexeril and I only took 1/2 of the 10mg
    because it was too strong for me!!!!!

I now take Zanaflex, which I really like a lot better.

Have you tried ice on the area?

You know, not all pain can be taken away by
    pills - in my experience anyway!

I hope you start feeling better and get some
    relief from the chiro.

Hugs,
    Lynn
  5. Jen F

Jen F New Member

So, I'm not alone, medic....

too bad. that nice dopey relaxed feeling is so great, esp after crisis, eh?

But, I will hope that my sleep is better, like what you experience.

Yeah, Lynn, got ice pack on right now for 5th time today.

I think my GP would be surprised if I told him I took 3 so far and hardly anything. he told me to start with 1/2.

The pain is more tolerable now, with the ice, the tyl3's, and my sleeping pill, but I could be feeling better!! And I have to always prepare that lying down is the most painful for my neck and so when I feel okay while sitting, I can be in for a nasty shock when I lie down.

Thank goodness for my cervical pillow.

i may have to make an investment in the Obus Forme company. My loveseat is not exactly a poster ad for good back health.

Get back to me on the brand name thing please! Thanks!!

jen

But, I am wondering if generic is not as good as brand name.

did you use brand name Flexeril, Lynn?
  6. Jen F

Jen F New Member

p.s. may try to summon the couraget to try a vitamin injection again tomorrow, if I can summon the strength to get to my Naturopathic clinic and if they can fit me and my oh-so-special needs in. I would get the calmag this time and see if it's as painful for me as the b complex. Boy is that b complex painful for me...but that pain mostly goes away in less than 3 days. Unlike the neck/back/arm thing...

Janet - do you think the first time you took Flexeril it was name brand and now you use generic? could that be part of the low effect?

Perhaps my benzo, REstoril, has made me desensitized... I take the max dose every night.

I did take anatomy, and a very thorough class at that, and yet I only vaguely remember the brachial plexxus ---great, huh?--- and as I said never heard of a problem with those nerves before... I wonder if all that info is sitting in my brain SOMEWHERE and I just no longer have access, like a locked filing cabinet!

At least I remember my own name on a regular basis :)

Jen
  7. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Wow! The people at the clinic seem to be surprised at the level of pain I get!

Do you get the injection in the butt? The pain quickly radiated down my leg when i had it in the buttocks. Was SO painful.

Tried to get the injection again last week, but this time no calmag, just bcomplex, but as soon as the plunger was depressed a little, the burning pain was too much for me. I spent a few minutes recovering then decided to try the shot in the arm. [and I'm a scaredy-cat when it comes to needles!] hurt like heck in the arm, but pain didn't radiate down arm like it did the leg.

I noticed on the internet that some ppl react to the whatchamacallit...in the soln, but I was told the injection I got was preservative free, so there goes that theory..

"And about the forgetfulness, do you drive? And if you do, do you ever forget where you are going and how to get there? I hate to admit it, but I do this a lot. And I forget the names of acquaintances I have known for years. I also have problems with word recall. I suffer big-time from tip-of-the-tongue syndrome! :0

Janet"

Have DL but don't drive, no car. For the last 2 years or so I feel too unwell cognitively to drive, otherwise I think my CFS friend would like me to drive his car for him sometimes. He finds driving really difficult.

I wonder if I would forget how to get to places, too...

I very occasionally forget the names of acquaintances I've known for years, and yes, I too have problems with word recall. And sometimes my short term memory dumps info. I write things down a lot and must use a timer in the kitchen or I might burn the place down...

Well, haven't iced in a while and my wrists are hurtin so I will sign off.

Thanks for all your contributions Janet and everyone else!

I'll probably come back and let you know how I slept!

Hope you sleep well!

Jen
  8. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

I too have doubled the dose. I can make me a little sleepy but does not help my muscles. Soma does that.

Lynda B.
  9. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I was on brand name Flexeril.. The first 8 months
    I took it it really helped me with sleep, then it wore off.

WHen I took more than 1/2 I was very groggy in the morning.

I don't think they had generic when I first took it.
    It then was switched to generic when it came out.
    I hope this makes sense.

I have alot of neck problems and have those 'U' shaped neck pillows for bed and den. My mother also bought
    me a great backrest that was over 100 dollars.
    It has adjustable neck support and arm support.
    I had to sleep on that for months on end when in
    bad flare.

Good luck,
    Lynn

PS Have you had a cortisone injection for this?
    Just a thought[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2003]
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Making one feel drowsy and packing on the pounds. This drug is a cousin of Elavil which also causes drowsiness and rapid weight gain. By itself, Flexeril is not a good choice for controlling pain.

Love, Mikie
  11. jillsy1

jillsy1 New Member

HI Jen,

I have had an Rx for Flexeril for years and I find that the only thing that it is good for is if I feel an FM related headache coming on........if I take it right away, the headache can sometimes be averted. Otherwise, it does nothing for me.

As a matter of fact, I have yet to find a medication that does help other than when I was in the hospital for another reason and was taking Morphine IV, which did help.

The best experience I have had for pain relief has been with a physiotherapist who specializes in muscle release work. It takes a few sessions but has always proved very beneficial.

I hope that this helps.
    Jill
    (jillsy1)
  12. IacheIache

IacheIache New Member

I have taken the generic flexeril for almost a year.
    My Dr. prescribed me ONE 10mg. 3x a day.
    i didn't feel comfortable with that as I have sooooo may responsibilities, that I have to be fully functionable.
    I started taking them two at night.
    They had helped me immensly with sleep, so thats what I take for sleep. ALSO, at the very start of headaches, with p.pills they can SOMETIMES knock them out.
    Last night for the first time I took a third.This morning I didnt feel groggy(have a tolerence) but I didnt feel so terribly stiff this morning either.
    Sounds like you need something specifically for the pain.
    I have taken vicoprophens(hydrocodone+ibuprophen)
    for the past three years, and it has helped enormously.
    I couldn't get thru my days without them.
    Hugs,Thea
  13. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Flexeril did help me sleep a bit better.

I've taken one flexeril and one Tylenol 3 and I can cope right now, but my skin is burning and the bottoms of my feet are sensitive. Phoned doc and he said may be sensitive to Celebrex. I shall see how it goes and if I can tolerate the burning and stay on Celebrex.

I am leaving in less than an hour to attempt a Calmag shot at the naturopathic clinic, a 2nd MD opinion, and then a 4:30 appt with a new chiro in my area who may or may not have ever heard of CFS...He is a little pricey, which at this point is somewhat attractive. maybe if i pay a little more i will get better care...

But, I may be broke soon!!

Jen