Cymbalta 60 mg ( Does it help? )

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hurtsalot 2, Jun 30, 2011.

1. hurtsalot 2

hurtsalot 2 New Member

My doctor wants me to start taking Cymbalta 60 mg once per day for fibromyalgia. If anybody takes this Rx please let me know if it has helped you. Also how bad were the side effects and did they go away after taking the Rx for a while? Thanks for any responses.
    Sincerely, hurtsalot2
  2. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Dear hurtsalot 2,

I have been taking Cymbalta for about 2 years now and it has really helped my fibro pain. I also take 60mg. of Lyrica and so the combo seems to help quite a bit for the fibro pain, helps me sleep better and generally helps some of the fatigue as well. I started out on 60 mg. and did'nt feel much of a difference until I was up to 120mg. which my dr. had me increase slowly. Within about a week I felt some real changes as listed above and was quite satisfied!

As far as side effects go, I don't remember having any but it has been 2 years. If I did have any it was very minor stuff or I would surely remember. I know that the drugs that I have had moderate to bad side effects I can remember VERY well! I hope that you get good results with the Cymbalta as I have had. Good luck and keep us posted,

Faith, Peace and Good health, Julie
  3. Jittle

Jittle Member

I have been taking taking cymbalta for over a year now. I started out on a very low dose (20 mg). It did take me a while to adjust to it............ I was still working and would start it on my days off but had a hard time with the side effects so I would have to stop when I went back to work. Finally my doc put me out of work so I could take the meds. Within days I started feeling better.

Persoanlly it does not help with everything but it has improvemed my quality of life. It has helped my "overall pain", back, neck and shoulder pain. It does help me sleep a little better at night, and affected my mood. Unfortuatley it does not help my low back pain, leg or knee pains. Before cymbalta I would whine all day. I could not sit at work because I hurt so bad, and my husband had to massage my back and shoulders daily. He does not have to do that anymore.

Watch the side effects especially in the beginning. Literally the first day I took it, I woke up and the very first thought I had was I wanted to pucnh my husband in the face. Of course I did not. I let my husband know how I was feeling so he could watch me. The side effects did go away. I have slowly increased my dosage up to 60mg. I was fine going from 20 to 30, and 30 to 40. I did notice a change when I went from 40 to 60. I was aggravated again for a few weeks and got annoyed very quickly: This has past just like it did when I first started.

I could not imagine living without cymbalta. I was in pain everyday until I started taking it. I did fight the doctor (actaully a nurse practioner) a little about taking it: I did not believe an antidressent would help, but it has, and I am so greatful for that nurse ( I still see monthly) for forcing it on me. I will probably be taking cymbalta the rest of my life: Just can't want for a generic because it is expensive.

Good luck, hope this helps
  4. TerryS

TerryS Member

Cymbalta didn't help me or my daughter not even a little bit with the fibro. It did, however, help with her migraines. Be aware that, if you ever want to come off of them, it can be a literal nightmare. My daughter had unimaginable withdrawal symptoms. Thankfully, she got through it after a few weeks and seems to be fine now.
  5. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

I was put on only 30 mg of Cymbalata and was shocked at how much it helped. Seems like I'd tried it before and it didn't do much of anything, but this time it is really helping me and my pain levels are down some. The doctor did caution me not to go off of it cold turkey. She said that could be really bad. I think it helped within two weeks or so. Hope it will help you too!
  6. rickj44

rickj44 Member

cymbalta helped me mentally and for pain, at first, now just mentally.. it not helping my pain...the only side effects i had was yawning alot.. yes really.... i split the dosage 30 in the morning and 30 at night,that helped but also some sexual side effects, which continues.
  7. RainbowAngel

RainbowAngel New Member

Hi there.. I have taken 120 mg of cymbalta for over a year now. Without it, I would not be able to get out of bed in the morning.. It helps me alot.. Its worth the try... let me know how it works for youl
  8. Jittle

Jittle Member

Did you start at 120?
    I am on 60. Rhuemy wants me to try 90, but because I had a reaction for a few weeks when I went to 60 I am nervous. I see him next week and still have not tried going up. I don't know what he is going to think
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

I have been taking 60 mg (only in a divided dose, 30 mg in the AM and 30 mg in the PM) of Cymbalta for years.

When I started on it, it made me sleepy during the day, so the dr. told me to split up the dose, but he had to write me a script for the 30 mg capsules with instructions to take 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. That totally eliminated the sleepiness.

60 mg daily is the recommended dose for fibro.

The sleepiness, at first, is the only side effect that I had!!
  10. spongebobmama

spongebobmama New Member

I have the jitters and clenched jaw. I called my Fibro Doc. He said to take 30mg again tonite,and again the next nite,then try 60mg and slowely build up.I really want this stuff to work so how do you work through the jaw pain and jutters? Thanks Spongebobmama
    Should I take more of my Ativan?[This Message was Edited on 07/12/2012]