cymbalta and effexor anyone taken both together?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hot-tubgirl, Mar 31, 2006.

1. hot-tubgirl

hot-tubgirl New Member

my doctor gave me 3 weeks worth of samples of cymbalta. she said i should add it to my effexor and see if it will help my pain and help me sleep. lately i wake up all night due to my legs aching and throbbing. I am a little leery of taking both at the same time. has anyone out there taken both at once?
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

minutes ago?

i have taken cymbalt but not effexor...so i can not say

jodie
  3. hot-tubgirl

hot-tubgirl New Member

yes, i finally went to bed. the post took a long time to appear i guess. i did take 30 mg. cymbalta before i went to bed. slept through the night but woke up with a headache and am very nauseous. hoping someone has taken both together and can share experience.
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

they can help you out there

jodie
  5. starmom

starmom New Member

Are you trying to wean off the effexor and add the cymbalta? They are the same type of med, SSRI, and usually the docs only want you to take one of htem, unless you are weaning off of one. Effexor has really bad withdrawal, so that may be why the cymbalta is being used?

I am taking cymbalta, but having a hard time iwth it upsetting my IBS and with swelling. It also irritates my stomach. But it is awesome for the depression that so many of us get. Hasn't helped the pain yet.

Ask your doc some questions about why you are taking the two meds together. She may have reasons or research backing this call.

Hugs,

Susie
  6. hot-tubgirl

hot-tubgirl New Member

thanks for your replies. i think the plan is to stop the effexor after i get to 60 mg. of cymbalta. it's been almost a week now taking both meds. i have slept like i haven't slept in months. pain is reduced significantly. now i'm nervous about stopping the effexor. i know you can't stop it cold turkey, but with the cymbalta in my system, the withdrawal shouldn't be bad. - at least that's my hope. i'm hoping the cymbalta alone will be adequate. i was so sleep deprived due to pain that i wasn't functioning at work. i slept so hard last night i don't think i moved all night - woke up with a stiff neck! but it's worth it. c
    [This Message was Edited on 04/06/2006]
  7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

but the goal is to stop Effexor and continue Cymbalta. I have just begun this week, and my doc has me weaning off Effexor slowly and starting Cymbalta in like.

I'm dizzy right now, and I have been sleepy. My stomach was upset yesterday, but I don't know if it's from Effexor going down or the addition of Cymbalta. I have expected that this would not be easy having read much about it.

My legs have been throbbing, also, and the pain level of FM has increased so much in the last month or so. I've been on Effexor XR for over 3 years now, so I think it's not working as well.

Let me know what happens. I'll keep you informed, also. I do hope you feel better soon.

Sue
  8. hot-tubgirl

hot-tubgirl New Member

have been so busy i haven't been back to read the last couple responses. thanks all. Week 2 - i increased the cymbalta to 60 mg. while still taking the effexor. the next day after i made the increase, i was so nauseous and fogbrained, that i decided i would not take another effexor. i believed they were similar enough that i wouldn't have withdrwal, and i didn't. so now it's 60 mg. of cymbalta along with my ultram, flexeril, provigil and anti-inflamatory. i think my pain is a little better, but most importantly - i have been able to SLEEP!!!!!!!!! in fact, i have been oversleeping many mornings and today - saturday - i slept til 1:30 in the afternoon. it felt so good........... c
    oops, i didn't mean to select that icon - can't figure out how to change it! sorry[This Message was Edited on 04/15/2006]
  9. srh

srh New Member

It sounds like you also have restless leg syndroym. I have taken Mirapex for almost 5 years now. It works wonders. I finally quit kicking my hubby.

I started out taking just one pill, but I talked my Dr into bumping them up. There was a study done where the higher dose might help with the FM pain also.

The library here has an article also on it. It might help at least part of the pain anyway.
  10. gwheezy41

gwheezy41 New Member

Becareful with those meds, Cymbalta and effexor are in the same med group. I take Effexor and another doc gave me cymbalta to take, about 30 min after taken it I started to vomit forcefully and major headache, called hospital and was told not to take both because they were in the same med bracket and I had an overdose. There are other meds you can take with Effexor, just not Cymbalta. You can read up on it at Web M.D. Take care.....Happy Easter Virginia