Cymbalta -- did it help with fibro pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monica33flowers, Feb 24, 2009.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I've just started seeing a psychiatrist to try and get me on an anti-depressant med that will actually work. He prescribed Cymbalta and said this would also help with my fibro pain. As of today's date (3 weeks from starting Cymbalta) I feel much worse. Anyone else have this type of problem -- this seems to be the only side effect I'm having so I'm very happy about that.

Also, he prescribed Adderral for some extra nrgy. I took one yesterday and it didn't do a darn thing for me. Has anyone else taken Adderral for extra energy? What happened when you took this particular med.

Thank you!
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

Did NOT help me
  3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I've been on cymbalta for about a year and it has helped me. I think it helps the depression more than the pain, however, having pain almost all of the time makes it difficult to tell whether it's helping or not.

I do know that I've tried other meds for depression and this one seems to be the only one that has worked for me.

Hope this helps,

4. pluto23

pluto23 New Member

No it did not help me and can be very hard to get off. In my opinion get off as soon as you can
  5. daylight

daylight New Member

didn't help me.
  6. loto

loto Member

does help with my fibro pain. It doesn't make all the pain go away - i take vicodin also. I originally started taking cymbalta after I had back surgery and still had nerve pain (this was before I knew I have fibro). I tried going off the cymbalta to see if my "nerve" pain would be bearable without it, but the pain got worse. So, I know without the cymbalta I'd have much more pain. I know everyone's different, but that's my experience with it.

7. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Personally, Cymbalta made me really every med that affects serotonin has made me feel suicidal...and they are definitely hard to get off of if you are on them for any length of time...and there are the other usual potential side effects.

As to the Adderall, it's an amphetamine med normally prescribed for ADHD. In general, they are not a good idea for people with FM or CFS bc they tend to make the push/crash cycle worse, and they can have permanent side effects, like twitching (which might not sound that bad, but it can be, esp if it's your eyelid and you wear contacts....or if it's really obvious and embarrassing or if it causes problems with eating and drinking, etc). They can cause insomnia and rebound issues, and other fun problems, too, esp with mood. Oh and they are pretty addictive. So, unless they actually really help you, they are not a good idea.

If there is a med that is truly helpful to you, I would never say not to take it, bc obviously FM and CFS are rotten to live with. However, most of us are really sensitive to meds, and if they are not giving you some obvious good results, I don't think they are worth the risks.
  8. dee3

dee3 New Member

I was on Cymbalta for about 6 weeks and had terrible insomnia. This made my life miserable as I work 4 days/week and have 3 kids to look after. It did nothing as far as decrease my pain either. I seem to have a bit better luck with Lyrica (probably 20-30% pain reduction) but I'm not sure either are worth the cost to me. My coverage doesn't cover these drugs which makes it difficult to afford. It's worth giving anything a try as drugs affect everyone differently.
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

You feel much worse in what way? Pain, depression?
    It may or may not be the drug. it cantake a while to get in your system. 3 weeks should be about right for some people.

For some people it works wonderfully - others not.
    I would never tell someone to 'get off immediately" I was on for a 3 weeks - made me terribly depressed. My mom was on for 3 months - zero side effects going off. Everyone is different.
  10. klcooper

klcooper New Member

when I first started it, the dose was way too strong, I had to go to 20 mg & slowly work my way up - it's taken months and I'm now at 50 mgs. It helps my myofacial pain in my back, that alone helps me deal with this. It does keep my brain a little clearer. It wil make you feel worse if the dose if too high, it did for me. I had to dring lots of water when I take it and in the am.

I don't know what dowse you're starting with, but maybe if they can start you lower and you work your way up that'll help. When the dose was too high, I felt down, depressed and was too tired to do much of anything.

I do still take other rxs during the day and in the evening for sleeping. I take Cymbalta at night many people do it during the day - I still can't do that.

Hope this helps.
  11. nixon

nixon New Member

I've been on it for about 2-3 months this year & last yr. It did help my depression, but not my pain, and caused my TMJ to FLAIR like CRAZY, also affects my OCD. I've tried many anti deps. haven't found one that hasn't affected my TMJ (terribly!!!) Andrea
  12. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

for your advice and knowledge. To tell you the truth I don't think either the Cymbalta or the Adderall are doing a darn thing. My psychiatrist started me at 30 mgs of the Cymbalta and after 2-1/2 weeks -- Nothing. Then he upped it to 60 mgs and it has been over a week and nothing. As for the Adderal, not much. It did help with my foot pain. The only thing that worked for my feet was Lyrica and I'm not going back down that road.

I was on Paxil when I started seeing this psychiatrist and he was shocked at how large of dose I was taking and it wasn't working.

Nothing can be as bad as weaning off the Paxil. That is the nastiest drug I've ever had. It took a good three weeks for the electrical zaps to stop in my face. It was horrible.

Still crabby and moody so I guess this isn't going to be the anti-depressant that works either. The only thing that ever worked really good for me was Prozac and that stopped working right when the fibro started.

Once again, thank you everyone!