cymbalta fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by espink, Feb 6, 2007.

1. espink

espink New Member

I just want to share with everyone about my experience with cymbalta. I have been taking it since June and it is a miracle drug. I have had to up my dosage to 120 mgs in the fall due to depression and returning fibro pain, but I have lived without the severe pain I had everyday for 8 months now. My pain is down 90%. I have much more energy and I now go to the gym 4 to 5 days a week. I am able to ride the recumbent bike, strength train and stetch. I also do yoga and alot of streching. My quality of life is the best it has been in 9 years. I would suggest anyone to talk to their DR. about it. I started on 60 mgs, then 90 and now I am at the max dosage of 120mgs.
    Finnally feelin good!
  2. moab341

moab341 New Member

Hi there espink; I am so happy for you!!!! I love to hear these stories...it gives me such hope.

My Doc tried me on Cymbalta, but I had such horrible anxiety, that I had to go off of it.
    Did you experience that before you started to get better?
    I heard sometimes an antidepressant can make you worse for a period of time before you start to turn around.

Just wondering if you could offer any insight......keep feelin' good!!
  3. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

When I first started Cymbalta 2 months ago, I saw immediate results. Then in about a month and a half, it stopped working. So the doc upped the dosage. It's not working anymore! Boo-hoo! And I've been getting these awful electrical, skin crawly feelings in my brain and on my arms and legs. Then I get the shakes and shivers.

Not sure what to do now. Go off or go onto a higher dose.

Mini
  4. moab341

moab341 New Member

I just find it so odd how some things work for some people and not for others.
    I find FM altogether odd and confusing.
    Today my eyelids are so swollen I look frightful.
    I have no idea what that's from.

I am praying that this new Doc I see the 26th will be able to help me-he knows a lot about FM...as much as one can know about it I suppose.
    I just want relief from the really bad symptoms, like we all do!
  5. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Hey all,
    Just want to chime in that I was just given Cymbalta this week by my Dr. But I'm afraid to take it. Afraid of side effects and from what I have read at Crazymeds, a horrible withdrawal if you try to go off it.
  6. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I'm also bi-polar II, so if anyone can give insight o this drug, that would be great.
  7. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

First, let me say that I'm so happy to hear about your success and wellness. Before my latest flare I was able to go to the gym 4-5 days a week, do yoga, and even take spinning classes. Now I walk down the street and people much older than me (36) are passing me like I was standing still, I have to walk so slowly to ensure I don't get exhausted to quickly.

I was put on Cymbalta when I started seeing my Rheumatologist. I forgot the initial dosage. I found it did not have much impact on my symptoms. He eventually upped me to 120mgs (this was as of last week). By Friday of last week, I was having hallucinations, black outs, shakes, and couldn't keep a train of thought for my life. I'm now off of it and back on to my original anti-depressant Celexa, which always helped me.

Like someone else here says, it's amazing how one drug can have so many different effects on so many people. Wouldn't it be great if there were a drug that would help us all.

Keep feeling good!

Eric
  8. cordy250

cordy250 Member

"leenerbups

Hey all,
    Just want to chime in that I was just given Cymbalta this week by my Dr. But I'm afraid to take it. Afraid of side effects and from what I have read at Crazymeds, a horrible withdrawal if you try to go off it."

I'm with you, leenerbups. I have a months supply of Cymbalta but am too terrified to start it. So many of the listed side effects are the same terrible ones that I have experienced with other antidepressants. I have actually been out for the count for three days from just one dose of Serzone, sick as a dog. Another one, I can't remember which, literally knocked me unconscious for about twelve hours. I have just read so much and even have a friend that had a really bad reaction to Cymbalta to be able to get up the courage to try it.
  9. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Due to insurance red tape, I wound up having to find a new PCP; I was with my old one for about 20 years.

I have fought with depression my entire life. Since I've been 18 or so I've tried so many different ADs I've lost count, nothing really worked for me, for one reason or another.

About 8-10 years ago my doc started me on Paxil and it literally saved my life. I still suffer with some ups and downs, that's fine ~ I think it's what people call normal. (Dare I use that word??? Ü )

I've read just about everything I can get my hands on about Paxil ~ or any of the other meds I'm on, for that matter. I'm aware that not everyone likes it. I'm also aware that there are some pretty horrible symptoms if I'd ever decide to stop using it. That's not a problem, Paxil and I are in this for the long haul. If it "fries my brain"? Well, it's probably still better than the shape my brain was when I wasn't on it.

Anyhow, back to the new PCP. One of the very first things he told me was that he wanted me to change over from Paxil to Cymbalta. Inwardly I groaned. Since my first visit was in November, I told him let's wait until after the holidays to discuss it.

I've been checking up on Cymbalta and reading posts like this one. I guess what it comes down to is, like several of you said, it's one of those drugs that works great for *some* of us.

I'm not going to switch. The way I look at it is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". When I told the new doc he "sort of" agreed and said maybe we could discuss it another time. ack! No.

He seems to be well informed about FM/CFS/MPS, and all the rest of the "alphabet soup" ailments that most of us have. He also seems willing to work with me and listen to me. I'm just not comfortable throwing away a med that has helped me so much for so long for one that I have no idea how I'll respond to it. Especially not with all the other symptoms I already have to deal with daily.

espink, I'm thrilled for you! Truly. Even a bit envious. Ü The last couple of weeks I've been needing my walker to get around in my own house. Bah Humbug! This is only a temporary "down", I know I'll gain some ground again. Hey! Next time you go to the gym, do your workout for all of us!

mar
  10. espink

espink New Member

I know alot of you are afraid of the side effects of cynbalta. I was too and thought being on prozac for 9 years and changing to cymbalta was going to be a bad experience. I too cannot tolerate alot of medications. My Dr. tried to put me on welbutrin along with the cymbalta but the welbutrin made me very anxious and kept me wide awake at night. I do remember having a little anxiousness with the higher dose of cymbalta so I cut back. But then I still had some depression so I tried the 120mgs again. The anxiousness went away after a week or two and my pain went down 90% like I said in my last post. I also take 5 other meds. Alot of people say to me thats not good for you,are'nt you concerned of the effects it takes on your body? I say this my quality of life is so good that I cannot be concerned with the possibility of long term effects. I have suffered severely for 9 years everyday and I do not want to go back in the state of pain.
    I have been on SSDI for the last few years and have gone through many losses, the loss of not being able to work, the loss of not doing the things I used to do and the loss of my Dad and sister. I also deal with the sadness of my Mother having severe Alzhiemers.
    I truely believe 50 percent of this awful condtion is additude. I have found things in my life such as watercolor, photography and only surround myself with supportive people. There are so many things you can do for yourself to help you with the pain. I will post them tonight or tommorow. My goal is to help others and I really urge anyone with severe pain to give cymbalta a try. Have your Dr. start you on a smaller dose and work your way up to the dose that works for you. Take it from me, my Dr. said that I was in the top 10 percent with the worst fibromyalgia pain.
  11. natesmommie1

natesmommie1 New Member

I've been taking cymbalta a while,my dr has me take mine with food,i also have alot of sweets gravings do to meds
    Bernadette
  12. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I was so afraid to take it, I had the prescription for 4 months before taking it.

After 2 weeks of nausea, I felt like a new person, pain gone, spirit lifted. Thought I was cured. I am having some pain again, but nothing like before and if I have to take it forever, so be it.

I felt life was not worth living before I started it, so it is about quality of life for me.

I know the meds aren't for everyone, but they can turn your life around when you get the right one.

God Bless,
    Sue in Ontario
  13. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Two things that worry me about this is that after a few years, many experience it not working anymore, and then the horrible withdrawals begin.

Also, the weight gain. I recently had bariatric surgery, so my health cannot handle additional weight.
  14. wish2hike

wish2hike New Member

I too have several months supply of Cymbalta and I do mean several...like 6 months. I just haven't been able to bring myself to try it. I get side effects very easily and I fight to have a good day and I am not sure I want to risk getting the side effects and wait days for them to leave. I take Wellbutrin every day. I take 450mg a day and have some side effects like sweating. I told my pharmacist husband that the Wellbutrin causes me to sweat, he wasn't so sure it was from the Wellbutrin, but then called me one day from work and sure enough it cause excess sweating. He always says to me "you are in the small 4 percent of every study group that gets the wild side effects". He really encourages me to take the Cymbalta because he see it help others. I will say for sure without a doubt that to even miss a few doses of Wellbutrin will cause MAJOR anxiety. We went to a funeral out of state and I didn't pick up my Wellbutrin before we left and the transfer to the pharmacy where we were took almost 2 days...I was aggravated & frustrated and had absolutely no patience. I was thinking "If one more person talks to me I will be over it". Needless to say my husband got my perscription as soon as possibe by speaking with the pharmacist in the town. But I will say...it has improved the quality of my life and I wouldn't stop taking it (I just can't miss any doses). I am just not sure I will take the leep to add the Cymbalta. I already take 8 meds. I went from never even taking a tylenol until my pain was out of control to 8 medications. Maybe if I read enough testimonies that are positive I will get brave.