CYMBALTA has it helped you ? NO ONE?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Has it helped you deal with fibro which is what he is prescribing it for. The dr. says it affects the seratonin level. I have seen it here, but never payed alot of attention until I got the script to send in. I suppose my insurance will fight giving it to me. I am praying for some relief. I feel like I am living in he$$ with this dd.

[This Message was Edited on 07/22/2008]
  2. JohnThreeSixteen

JohnThreeSixteen New Member

It helped me alot, but totally, totally killed the libido. I can't have that since husband and I were separated for awhile recently which is (I think) what brought all this on. Anything that messes up the marriage, regardless of if it helps me, is a "no go".

SO....I ordered Ixel, which is not approved yet by the FDA but has no side effects in trials. It is expected to be approved here in either late 2008 or 2009. I got it here:
    www.International Anti-Aging
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It just makes me so mad when insurance companies don't allow us to have medications that might help!
    I was on Cymbalta for a very short amount of time - all was well in the beginning - I did feel a little bit a relief after the 2nd week (after I went from 30 to 60 mgs)-
    however, I become severely depressed while on it. I mean noticeably - big BLACK cloud over my head. Dr. told me to go off of it immediately. Within two days, I was back to normal. I was bummed out that I couldn't continue with something that might have helped!
    Good Luck to you - I hope your ins. approves and also that it helps you!
  4. landra

landra New Member

It helped me with overall body aches - they went away immediately! However, more specific pains have developed. It would be worth a try!
  5. canton2235

canton2235 New Member

6. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

It did not help me with the pain or the fatigue. I also gained 40 pounds with it. It is supposed to be a weight neutral drug. I have tried almost every other antidepressant and this one is one of the only ones I gained so much with.

Rememeber, what works for one, or doesn't work for one may help another. So always give it a try. Even though we all have this DD we react to medicine differently. Good luck.

M J
  7. jmq

jmq New Member

how dangerous this drug is. Read my post ""
  8. simonedb

simonedb Member

brief trial small dose
    in some ways jump started me but gave me power headaches
    forget it
  9. cbella

cbella New Member

It helped me for a little while, but then after almost a year, it didn't seem to be relieving the pain. I felt like I was gaining weight with it and it was very expensive. So I talked with my dr. and weened myself off of it. Good luck, it may HELP you! :) Cbella
  10. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Just as Janalynn posted here, I reacted very badly AND very quickly (which my dr told me wasn't possible, oh sure) and refused to keep taking a supposed helper that made me feel much worse than I had before trying the rotten stuff.

Didn't do thing one for either depression or pain, which its' producer says it will...dr told me "Oh this one is new, it's different, it won't hurt you..." Dr lied.
    It's not new, it's not different for me from any SSRI, SNRI, or TCA, and I wouldn't say that the reaction it caused "didn't hurt me."

I just don't think a medicine that's supposed to retard depression should make a person wish to be dead. I told dr after stopping the junk to never offer me any such thing again. His response was the usual comic-opera Eye Roll and seems he hasn't learned Rule One: Everybody's different.

11. JohnThreeSixteen

JohnThreeSixteen New Member

but 60 was perfect! I started to wonder if I even had Fibro...couldn't even remember my pain from before.

But BOY, I started Ixel (Minalcipran) and didn't pay attention to dosage and only took the 25mg pill in the morning and 25m at night and I had the worst 2 days of my life until the "pain controlling" dose of 100mg-200mg recommended kicked in.

Whew! I definitely have Fibro!!! Whew! It's definitely real....I coulda used all my strength the last two days to knock someone's teeth out who called me a hypochondriac, hehheh.

I would really like to go back to Cymbalta since I was feeling so normal, but just have to find something without side effects. Someone said they had weight gain with really controlled my appetite and I had slight nausea...can't imagine gaining weight on it. We are all so different.
  12. les80

les80 New Member

I took cymbalta for about 3mo and it greatly helped my pain. However...i also had unexplained heart palpitations and cold sweats that my doc couldnt explain....this ended in my going to a cardiologist and having extensive testing done. After i talked to others in chat who have tried cymbalta they expierienced the same things. Its the norepinepherine that we cant tolerate. I know take effexor but it is not nearly as effective on my pain. I think docs should have more knowledge about the side effects of cymbalta before rx'ing it.
  13. texasrose204

texasrose204 New Member

I take it and i guess it helps-- been 2 years now . was on effexcor mispelling and one dr stopped that cold turkey in 3 days i was miserable. could have killed myself. then all the fm symptoms showed up. New dr put me on cymblata and elavil and i still have pain but i know i am not as depressed as before, even though i have my days because of this dd. i wish i didn't have one pill to take that is how it was before now i take so many! everyone reacts differnt to meds so all you can to is try!
  14. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

I have been on Cymbalta for about 6 months now at the 60mg dose. I switched from Paxil to this for anxiety/depression. I have only been diagnosed with FM for about 3 months. So no Cymbalta has not helped my pain but has helped with the anxiety I get from all the pain. I tried Lyrica and that was horrible. Found GABA from this website and that along with Vitamin D have helped the most. Just wish my doctor would give me something for the bad flare up days but no prescription pain meds coming my way. Since I tolerate Cymabalta well maybe I will ask to up my dose and see if that helps. I had been pain free for about 2 weeks and today is hell. Sorry to go off subject just hurting bad today.

15. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

Didn't help pain, didn't help pain.

But I was having nausea and headache when a stressful event occurred. I am a newspaper editor, so stressful events happen often.

It helped with that. I told doctor I am not depressed. I don't have anxiety attacks and my pain is mild, tolerable at that point in my disease.

He said my body has lower threshold for physical response to day to day stress than normal. So, he prescribed it. Only side effect was dry mouth, which went away.

I have been on it for six months. I am concerned that it will eventually fry my brain. I think the timing for that is three years. So I am cutting back the dose amount. Plan to go off in another six months or so.

16. viralfree

viralfree New Member

i was prescribed anti-depressants to give me energy (prior to my ME diagnosis) and boy that is just what they did, induce mania! On Cymbalta not only did i crave alcohol (perhaps to bring me down), but i had extreme hot flashes, usually 15 minutes after finishing activity. My psychopharmocologist totally missed the side effect of hot flashes. Also, it did not help my anxiety, which was another key reason for the script.

But as many have said, we all respond differently to meds.
  17. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Wow, from reading some of the posts, it does depend on each individual.

I was on lexapro, which I thought was working but I was still doing a lot of crying. So, my Dr. weened me from the lexapro onto the cymbalta. I honestly believe that it is helping me. I still cry sometimes but not as much as I used to cry. As for as the pain, I don't think I can answer that; it's so bad at times that I believe nothing is helping.

This is a tough decision but I think you and your Dr. will have to decide. I hope that these answers from everyone will give you an idea of whether it helps or not. Good luck, fibrobutterfly.

18. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

I was already taking Cymbalta for mild depression and was still hurting. I think it has helped with the depression part, but I was hurting really bad and then found out I have FM. I would have to say NO to the pain part. I take it now in addtion to the Lyrica. Just had the Dr lower the dose of Lyrica because I was having the strange smells sensation. I am down to 50mg a.m. and 100mg at nite. I'll see how that does with the pain part and the smells. Cudn't handle smelling like I had a smoky bar in my mouth and nose all day. Hope this answered your question and I didn't ramble too much. Having one of those days I can't concentrate and coordinate thoughts! :)