Cymbalta Help Manic Depression?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leenerbups, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Hey all,

Just coming out of some mild mania and took myself to my GP who has been treating me for my fibro for 7 years now. She is the one who got me on Tophranil to great success (I was stupid and went off of it, now my body rejects it).
    I left my PDoc after 2 years because he just didn't get the fibro component to it all and just threw samples at me, many of which had toxic reactions he was not aware of, so I had no confidence in him any longer. I also became pill-a-phobic and non med compliant.

Anyway, she prescribed 30 mg of Cymbalta yesterday, to see how that works on me.

I've heard horror stories of weight gain and withdrawal. I'm also wondering how a bi-polar will do. A few months ago I was taking 25mg of 5-HTP and it sent me into mania.
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Wow, I don't know. I take Cymbalta and do OK on it but I take it for anxiety disorder (OCD). It helps me alot but I did have some side effects going on to it.

One of the most annoying ones was the constant need to yawn. It also made me very sleepy to begin with. Took about a month to adjust.

I'm on 60mg a day.

I don't know what it will do for manic/depressive. I understood that to require diff med. I will say that I had an episode of mania when I took Relpax in combination with Cymbalta when I was having cluster headaches. So watch the combinations.

Start slow and pay attention to yourself. If she's done right by you before she probably has good reason for trying this med.

Sofi
  3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

If I were you, I'd HIGHLY recommend seeing a NEW Pdoc. There are so many meds and different reactions that a person with bipolar can have. Having bipolar II and having tried several meds to get the correct med cocktail, I know this first hand.

People with bipolar react very differently to anti depressants. Most of us are highly sensitive to them (which I have learned first hand and b/c my PDOC told me), so it needs to be monitored very closely by a PDOC. PDOCs are going to have more first hand knowledge of the meds b/c they see MANY more bipolar patients than a GP does.

Hope it works out for you!

Best wishes, Erika
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

As I've said many times on this board, "unopposed" antidepressants for manic-depression are a big no-no. They can dramatically increase the extremes of your mood swings, and possibly can lead to mixed states (e.g. high energy but unhappy or out-of-control negative feelings) besides.

I've not studied Cymbalta, but it sounds close to Effexor in that it is an SSNRI. Effexor is supposed to be especially bad for manic-depressives.

Manic-depressives taking a mood stabilizer may add anti-depressants if their moods settle at a low level. Antidepressants by themselves, for people even with slight manic-depressive tendencies, can be real disasters.

A good psychopharmacologist (a psychiatrist who only prescribes drugs and doesn't do talk therapy) will know that.

In general I don't have definitive opinions about what other people should do, but this is an exception.

Best, Lisa

5. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Anyone have recommendations for a P-Doc in NJ
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Unlike psychiatrists, psychopharmacologist are fairly uncommon.

A pretty high percentage of those that exist (at least in my experience and observations) are pretty good, especially with regard to garden-variety manic-depression. They may be more conservative than you would like with regard to trying new drugs, but most don't screw people up like internists or (less excusably) psychiatrists often do.

Just calling a good hospital and asking for a couple of recommendations may suffice, therefore.

7. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Good advice, thanks so much