Cymbalta Liver Warning

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dunnlb, Oct 17, 2005.

1. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

I found this article today. I certainly hope that nothing will ever cause them to stop selling it. It has been my salvation.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Eli Lilly and Co. has expanded its warning about possible liver-related problems with its depression drug, Cymbalta, and cautioned doctors against its use in chronic liver disease patients, U.S. health regulators said on Monday.

A new label for the antidepressant, known generically as duloxetine, also includes reports of hepatitis, jaundice and other liver-related problems in patients using the drug, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said on its Web site.

"Some of these reports indicate that patients with preexisting liver disease who take duloxetine may have an increased risk for further liver damage," the company said in letter to doctors dated October 5.

Cymbalta, which is also approved to treat a type of nerve damage caused by diabetes, has been known to cause liver problems. The label earlier warned against using the drug with alcohol.

"Cymbalta should ordinarily not be prescribed to patients with substantial alcohol use or evidence of chronic liver disease," according to the new label, which was also posted online.

The letter and new label are posted online at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2005/safety05.htm#Cymbalta.
  2. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I will ask my psychiatrist about this. I'm being lazy here, but do you have to have an existing liver problem only or can it CAUSE liver problems?

Jennifer
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

This is one med that I may be changing to this week if the other med the doc gave me to boost my Effexor doesn't work...and, it's not lookin' good!

I think I would have him order a liver test before I take it. Of course, I've been on so many meds for the last 8 years that I can't even imagine what my insides look like. But, if it's bad enough for the company to have to put a warning, it needs to be carefully evaluated before taking it.

As I said, this is so timely...I think you for the post.

Sue
  4. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

To me, it sounds like you need to have pre-existing liver problems or abuse alcohol for it to cause damage.