CYMBALTA NIGHTMARE!!! Anyone else have problems?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunshine8957, Nov 30, 2005.

1. sunshine8957

sunshine8957 New Member

I have been from HE.. and back since last year! I was put on Cymbalta 60 mg. last Nov. '04. It threw me into a state of mania (as in Bi-polar/Manic Depression) which nearly killed my marriage off, on top of my "blowing" a LARGE HUNK of $ with the poor decisions I made.

My mother was Bi-polar, but my thinking was so far off that I couldn't make the connection between her behavior and what was happening to me!

The Cymbalta hyped me up so bad that I slept very little at night, then would nod out throughout the day. My behavior was so erratic that my husband had to have me committed (via a Coroner's Order) to the local psych ward -and even those shrinks didn't realize the Cymbalta was causing the mania. I had so much ANGER/HOSTILITY inside of me I was exploding (my mouth) all over the place!

The only reason I discovered the problem with my mental status was the direct result of the Cymbalta, was when it finally "dawned" on me that I was allergic to the medicine - edemia (?) (swollen feet/hands and difficulty urinating). Sadly, that discovery didn't occur/dawn on me until I had been on the Cymbalta for 4-1/2 months.

I'll spare you all the intricit details. But, after what I have gone through, and then the ensuing 5-1/2 months of SEVERE DEPRESSION, if I can help prevent just one person from going through a similar nightmare then this past year won't totally have been for naught.

I am from SE Louisiana and after Katrina/Rita did their wreckage, I am stunned that I am doing so well (mentally)!
    Yeah, we got water in the house, but only 6 inches, not like those poor people who had water up to their roof!

I've got my meds straight and now know to stand up against my doctor "experimenting" new drugs on me. I feel like I have been a guinea pig since being dx'd with FMS 6-1/2 yrs. ago.

Boy, I sure have missed this website! You all have no idea how helpful it has been to me for the last several years!

Hugs,
    sunshine8957
  2. sunshine8957

sunshine8957 New Member

3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you had such a difficult time with cymbalta...
    i am not on it anymore...i am not bi-polar and did bring any new stuff like that on...

but it made me gain weight badly and quickly, myoclonic jerks,,,couldn't sleep when i needed to or nod off for ever it seemed...
    just not good mor me as well

i was prying if would help but nope...

jodie
  4. sunshine8957

sunshine8957 New Member

Yeah, I was really hopeful that it would help me too!

I don't know if I really am Bi-Polar (as shrinks have labeled me) or if it was caused because of mom's history with it...but I did find out from a few shrinks over the summer that ANY antidepressant can set off a manic episode.

Scary thought!
  5. sunshine8957

sunshine8957 New Member

You are so right about "new meds". I had to (sorta) battle it out w/ my Rheumy in the last month. He was trying to put me on various new sleep meds AND I ALREADY SLEEP FINE WITH THE KLONAPIN! I had to resort to LYING about filling his 2 wk. RX for Lunesta (the commercials gave me enough info. to state it was causing side effects.

Huh, went to Rheumy yesterday and he wanted me to try ANOTHER sleep med. That's when I outright asked him 'WHY ARE YOU RX'G SLEEP MEDS?' His response? 'Oh, you're not having sleeping problems?' NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Geez -his new perm must be affecting his thinking! Man, you have got to watch these Docs like a HAWK!

Take care,
    Eve
  6. sunshine8957

sunshine8957 New Member

7. southernrose

southernrose New Member

Dear sunshine8957
    that must of been horrible, but I take cymbalic60mg once a day and it really helps me. I am so sorry you did not get relief. I'm tired of being talked to by doctor's and people like I'm lundy, when I try to explain what it is. I will pray for you. Praise GOD you were not hurt farther.
    sincerely southernrose
  8. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

and since I switched anti depressant med from zoloft to cymbalta I have felt so much better, my mind is somewhat quiet now, and I can cope with life.
  9. sunshine8957

sunshine8957 New Member

that Cymbalta was helping with the FMS pain! A real shame that I had so many problems with it (I really felt like I finally had some HOPE). You're absolutely right - it could have been so much worse! Amen!
  10. sunshine8957

sunshine8957 New Member

I am so glad that the Cymbalta has quieted your mind!! Zoloft was of no help to me.

BiPolar disorder is aweful - my poor mother suffered with it for over 40 yrs., but sadly she didn't take her meds regularly.

You have my full compassion with this stinky disorder (all of 'em).

I am under careful watch by my husband to make sure I don't start having any weird reactions with my current meds. I am so leary, I will only take what I KNOW FOR FACT that I have no reaction to - and I'm not budging on that!

Back on Paxil which helps more than any other AD.

Bless you for sharing with me!

Hugs,
    Eve
  11. minxlinx

minxlinx New Member

***Big tight smooches* Welcome back!!! I've missed you!
    I'm glad to see you again, but sorry you had to go through all that :)

Kisses,
    Ariel
  12. 1horse

1horse New Member

I am on it and it is doing fine...so far.............lol hope I dont ever have a reaction to it..I am wondering if all antidepressants make you gain weight..????????/
  13. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

It must have been such a horror.Your back for the holidays,maybe that will help to dispel some of the memories of your awful time.Glad you are back.
    ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))Lovethesun
  14. sunshine8957

sunshine8957 New Member

You know your body better than anyone else! I hate the way docs keep shoving different meds in your face... I'd bet half of them don't even read the package inserts on the med samples to give out. If they did, they would ask appropriate questions, i.e. w/ Cymbalta there was an explicit warning that if there was any family history, including yourself, that had Bi-Polar disorder that this med could throw you into a state of mania. I called my docs' office before I started it and told her about my mother and my concern...my message ended up slipping through the cracks and the doc never responded to my concerns. AND LIKE AN IDIOT, I STARTED THE MEDICINE! NEVER AGAIN!

I wanted to tell you that I did switch over to a shrink who specialized in pain mgmt. and had an intense 1 month program to learn how to live with the pain. Regrettably, I hadn't had the chance to attend the program and really get into therapy because of the hurrricane - His office was destroyed and he and his family decided to move out of this "bowl" that we Louisianians live in!!

After all the docs I've been to, I ended up going back to my original Rheumy, BUT THIS TIME WITH A WHOLE DIFFERENT ATTITUDE. From now on I am going to take control of what meds I allow into my system - not his newest treatment! Read my original post again and you'll see what I've encountered this last go-round.

The only benefit of sticking with your original doctor IS that he knows you already. I personally am sick and tired of explaining my physical ails and re-establishing a new relationship.

If you know what works for you, then stick with it and don't budge with he tries to shove a new med in your face!

If anti-depressants don't work for you, I'd steer clear of the Cymbalta, like you have. What's sad is that it DOES help a lot of people, but I've read some of the other posts on Cymbalta and other peoples' side effects (it messes up your sleep and makes you hyper, yet drowsy).

I'd flush that RX right down the toilet, but that's because I have personally had a nightmarish experience with it.

If you want to chat more, send me a separate post and I'll be happy to share my hard-learned wisdoms over the years with this friggin' disorder!

Hugs,
    Eve
  15. sunshine8957

sunshine8957 New Member

I am so glad to be back - thanks for the warm welcome back!

Ariel - I can't find your # - how did you guys make out with Katrina and Rita???? Call me PLEASE or email me at my original email address. Man, have we got some yappin' to do!!

To the POSTER that asked if all anti-depressants made you gain weight, I don't think so, some cause you to lose your appetite altogether WHICH IS NOT GOOD NUTRITIONALLY. A lot of these meds cause heavy sugar cravings and that's probably what you are on. Regrettably, from experience, I know you have to really work hard to keep your appetite in control. If the AD is working for you - I'd stay on it and possibly join Weight Watchers, or get rid of any "temptations" hiding in the cabinet and eat Lean Cuisine for 2 meals a day (or one of the other reduced calorie/fat meals).

Good luck,
    Eve
  16. minxlinx

minxlinx New Member

I have only 1 phone line now..gotta get my voip line back so I can talk to you...that is if I had the number. I'm gonna check my email...ok so there are over 8000 unread messages and see if I can find yours in there. If not...wanna meet in the chat room????

Smoooches!
  17. Empower

Empower New Member

Sunshine

I was very agitated and anxious and also depressed on Cymbalta, and my doctor didn't believe me

I stopped it and I am sleeping better, less anxious and less depressed!

NOTE TO DOCTORS: NOT ALL OF US CAN TOLERATED ANTIDEPRESSANTS!!!!!!!!

Good thing you were able to figure out what was causing the problem
  18. sunshine8957

sunshine8957 New Member

You are so right! We have to take control of what these doctors are pushing at us. I've had enough - I'm glad you took the initiative to take yourself off BEFORE YOU ENDED UP HAVING MORE PROBLEMS. Sadly, I was a day late and a dollar short before I "figured it out" - but the experience has taught me innumerable lessons! Phew!

Take care!