Cymbalta or not?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ritbar, Jul 20, 2006.

1. ritbar

ritbar New Member

I have Fibro, was on zoloft for 10+ yrs. I asked my Dr. about cymbalta for both pain & depression. He was not in favor of it, but said I needed to go off the Zoloft first.Been off it for a month now, and feel more depressed and jittery then I have in ages. Guess it was working! After checking the posts on Cymbalta, not sure I want to try it.
    Any fibro people have any comments? Would like to try another antidepressant-that would help both depression and pain.

very confused FM lady
  2. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

didn't agree with me at all. It made my feel really nervous and increased my already bad problem with thirst, but I've read on this board that alot of other people have had good results with it.
    Guess you'd just have to try it to know if it would help you. My doctor prescribed it for pain, but it didn't help me with that either.
    Barb
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Did you happen to catch my post..."Cymbalta Questions"? Before I go see my new rheumy tomorrow I want to know the good, bad and ugly of it. I have just heard that alot of people are going off of it. But I did get some responses from people who have been on it for long periods of time and like it. If you cant find it...click on my name and search for the post.

Stephanie
  4. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I've taken Cymbalta for about a year and a half. Causes a little weigh gain, but not too much. I don't see much of a benefit in terms of pain relief, so I take additional meds. Too many, I'm sure.

kathy
  5. ritbar

ritbar New Member

thanks for the info- weight gain is not what I need and if Cymbalta doesn't help with the pain- think I will pass on it
    thanks
  6. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I am at the 2nd week of starting Cymbalta.

I was on 100mg Zoloft for the last 2 years (a year before that, I was on 50mg Zoloft) & a couple of my Drs wanted me to try Cymbalta, so I am giving it a shot.

For the 1st week I took 50mg Zoloft along with 30mg Cymbalta. I started it at night, but since it kept me awake, I changed to the am. I felt so much better. I had increase energy levels & a lot less pain.

This is the 2nd week & I am taking 25mg Zoloft along with 30 mg Cymbalta. This week has been a little rougher on me, with my energy levels/pain.

I take this dosage for 2 more days & then stop the Zoloft & up the dose of Cymbalta to 60mg. The only thing I am worried about is the size of the capsule. I have some trouble taking larger pills, but will try & sure hope it works. I have samples, so I have nothing to loose.

I have not really had bad side effects that others have mentioned, so if you are wondering, I would certainly give it a try, if I were you. It is definently worth giving it a shot, don't ya think?

Good luck.

I'll let ya'll know how I progress with this.

Marilyn
  7. iteach

iteach New Member

I was put on cymbalta Friday and I can already tell a huge difference in both my depression and my pain level. I'm on 30 mg now and will move up to 60 mg next week.
  8. ritbar

ritbar New Member

thanks for all your input on cymbalta-like everything else-it works for some and not for others
    guess I will just have to try it and see how my body reacts(hopefully it will positively)
  9. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

ritbar! Its not available where I live.

Raz