cymbalta or wellbutrin, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kraypm, Jul 31, 2010.

1. kraypm

kraypm New Member

Hello all! Here I sit, not able to sleep. I'm so happy to have found this board!

I currently take 300mg of tradadol daily, but I'm afraid I will need a bit more than that to get thru this horrible temps in Houston, TX! Does the heat really get to anyone else? It was 100 degrees here today, & I have just been a sack of potatoes on my sofa!

After reading some of the posts, I am wondering if anyone has had real success on cymbalta or wellbutin? I'm 11 yrs into my fm, and have tried very hard not to take meds, but last year I had to start something......tramadol was what my doc prescribed. The thought of moving into a drug with so many side effects is scary. Please let me hear from you about pain relief/ side effects.

Thanks so much!
    kraypm
  2. Tizz

Tizz New Member

I'm inclined to agree with Aussiewoman on this one. Wellbutrin makes you more alert; Cymbalta makes you more mellow.

Personally, I take Cymbalta and it works well for me. But I have fibromyalgia and my symptoms include problems with overstimulation - leading to pain and cramping (mostly leg/foot cramps). Some people even say that Cymbalta makes them sleepy... I don't have that problem, and I take it in the morning.

My daughter takes Wellbutrin, and she does well with it. But Wellbutrin definitely isn't the right drug for a "Nervous Nellie" personality! It can make you agitated and it's well known for causing insomnia - so if you're already having trouble sleeping this may NOT be the drug for you! It also isn't safe to take Wellbutrin if you're being "weaned" off of a benzodiazepine drug (like Valium, Xanax, or Klonipin), or right after taking an MAOI type antidepressant, or if you've ever had seizures.

As for being affected by the heat, well, I'm a Texan too (!) so I get what you're talking about! Just going out at noon today had me way overheated. Worse yet, I don't sweat on my arms and legs anymore, in fact I pretty much just sweat above shoulder level. So my head and neck were DRENCHED with sweat, but the heat was still getting to me.

I guess all we can do is try to stay inside and KEEP COOL!

Tizz
    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2010]
  3. kat211

kat211 New Member

I began Cymbalta 3.5 weeks ago. It has changed my life. I also take Provigil for energy and flexiril for pain. Since beginning the Cymbalta, I have more energy, much less brain fog, I'm sleeping better overall, and I hurt a ton less.

The only side effect I have experienced is excessive sweating, but I did have sweating issues prior to the cymbalta and the drs think it is do to mold exposure and the cymbalta exaserbated it. For me, the increase in sweating (which I find disgusting) is overshadowed by the increase in my quality of life that cymbalta has provided.

Wellbutrin, on the other hand, caused me to go into a medication induced bi-polar state. It was extremely scary for me. My dr was apprehensive about putting me on cymbalta after hearing about my exp with wellbutrin, but so far I am doing very well at a low 30mg dose.

Have you also looked into lyrica or pregabalin (sp?)? I had a severe allergic reaction to pregabalin, so Lyrica is out of the quesiton for me. But, a lot of people have had success with it.

the problem with these and any type of med are that finding one that works for you is like playing roulette, you have know way of knowing how you are going to react to a med. Whatever route you and your physician decide to take, remember to be patient and willing to keep going on until you find something that works for you.

Welcome to the board. There are some very informative and supportive people on here.
  4. sickofcfs

sickofcfs New Member

Cymbalta(90mg) helps with my ME/CFS pain, but mine wasn't severe, just persistent, unrelenting aching.

I took Wellbutrin XL for years for depression and had good luck with it. I usually went off over the summer (My Seasonal Affective Disorder is pronounced). Then last year, for no reason we can figure, the Wellbutrin caused serious muscle aches and fatigue. Worse than I was having before Cymbalta. I quit the Wellbutrin and the symptoms disappeared. I tried it again several months later with the same reaction. My doctor can't explain it and neither can I. I don't think it's at all typical, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case. :)
  5. kraypm

kraypm New Member

It's great to hear from people that have actually taken these drugs...our poor docs just keep trying to figure us out, don't they? I almost feel as badly for them! Well, if their legs felt like they were filled with cement and set on fire, all whilst on a comatose state, I would feel sorry for them, I mean. = ) Pain is my major issue...I get tired from being in pain. I know that makes sense to you all. : )
  6. Tizz

Tizz New Member

...side effect of Cymbalta: it can raise blood pressure and cause heart palpitations. At the minimum dose of 30mg I've never heard of anyone having that problem, but at doses of 60 or higher (60 is the highest RECOMMENDED dose but some doctors will still prescribe 60 twice per day) it is a concern.

I know of 2 people who have suffered from this side effect. One was my family doctor's mother! (She still uses Cymbalta, but at a lower dose.)

I take Cymbalta 60mg, myself, and even though I have high blood pressure it hasn't been affected by the drug.

Tizz
  7. loto

loto Member

I take Cymbalta and Wellbutrin.

I take 60mg Cymbalta at nite because it makes me sleepy, and helps me get to sleep.
    I take 1 150 mg Wellbutrin twice daily. The combination of both of these meds is really helping me.

I have no side effects (except the sleepiness with Cymbalta).

loto
  8. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Ive basically given up on ad's as they just worsen my insomnia, so now im on 5htp (200mg/day)and it seems to be working fine, plus im on tramal daily from chronic back pain and it acts on receptors similar to ad's. Just read where the drug prestiq which is related to effexor is very similar to tramal so maybe im getting a double whammy.

cheers!!
  9. jmq

jmq New Member

The cymbalta worked for about two years on my depression associated with my FM but it was the hardest drug to wean off of. I ended up in the emergency room one night from severe withdrawls. I also gained alot of weight.

Now I take Wellbutrin and LOVE it. Energy and lost weight. I take 150mg in am and 150mg in evening

Good Luck
    jmq
  10. hensue

hensue New Member

I do not think I could function without it. It def increases energy but the down side is the generic does not work for me. So it can be pricey.

I dont know about the xl that Aussie takes. I know it works for her but I do know seizures are a side effect if your dose its to high.

That is where my klonopin at night comes in.

Take Care
    hensue
  11. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I take Wellbutrin for depression, it is the only ad., that has ever worked for me.
    I am only taking a low dose just to keep my mood stable.
    I have taken this drug for about ten years and it changed my life.

I can'nt say that it helps my fibro though.
    This past week has been horrible, I think it is the unstable weather patterns.

I have sung the praises of Lyrica, this med, has helped a lot, but I can'nt get rid of this all over pain today!!!!

There are some that think that this disease is progressive, today it sure seems like it.

But, please don't give up hope, I am 71 years old and I made a month long trip to Britian last month.

It went very well, I managed to see the sights and have wonderful visits with friends.

I have had fibro for about thirty years.
    It has changed some of its symtoms over the years.
    Some kinds of pain have gone and others have moved in to take their place.

I am thinking of trying the gui. protocol this fall. I wonder if any others are thinking of trying it?

Sorry I kind of got off subject,there are so many phases and symtoms to this disease it drives a person crazy. Love Denamay
  12. mary01

mary01 New Member

Hi, Kraypm.

I can'r speak personally for Cymbalta, but I have read quite a few positive reports. I tried Wellbutrin early on in my diagnosis of CFIDS. It made me more tired out than I already was. I did read on this board that someone had a VERY favorable experience with Wellbutrin when she took a very high dose.

I wish you the best. I've been on Effexor for years and it helps me a great deal.

Peace,
    Mary01
  13. msgirl67

msgirl67 New Member

Very new to all this. My NP put me on Cymbalta 30 mg for one week and I just went up to 60 mg last night. She also put me on Celebrex 30 mg per day. I have seen a difference already. I still have aches and pains, but they aren't as bad and I am hoping that the increase in the Cymbalta will help even more.

I am however having issues with sleeping through the night. I am taking a sleeping pill (Lunesta 3 mg) and a muscle relaxer (Zanaflex 4 mg) at night and it knocks me out, but I wake up between 3 and 5 am every morning and just toss and turn. I am so exhausted during the day...it is just killing me. My next appt is Monday to find out my results from my bloodwork that I had drawn yesterday and will discuss these issues. I had these sleep issues though, before starting the Cymbalta.

As far as the loss of appetite, I have only been on it for just over a week and have not had that issue yet or any heart palpitations and I will go have my blood pressure checked today at one of the local drug stores.

I did however find that I am sweating a lot more. I also live in a warm climate state and find it relentless to go outside. Hope this helps! I know reading all of your posts helps me tremendously!!!

Susan