Cymbalta Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 3sa, Dec 11, 2008.

1. 3sa

3sa New Member

I have been taking Cymbalta for a year. I take 60 mg. I was getting samples from my family Dr. since I don't have insurance. I recently moved from Arizona to Arkansas, so no more samples.
    I wanted to stop taking it anyways. I would like to try using supplements, or alternative meds if possible. My Question is what withdrawal symptoms might I expect to see? I have about 14 pills left & have been taking it every other day for four days. Any information would be helpful.
  2. mscaregiver

mscaregiver Member

you really shouldnt quit the cymbalta i have had flu like symptoms and get really dizzy cold and get a bad head ache
  3. luv2float

luv2float New Member

I had a really hard time getting off cymbalta. I got dizzy and had really bad brain zaps. If you are completely going off antidepressants all together it will be even rougher.

What helped me the most is a web-site called It will detail how to withdrawal to make things easier on yourself.

Good luck!
  4. BeansMom

BeansMom New Member

I was only on them for 3 weeks and had a tough time. Lots of nausea, depression, diarrhea, and sweating/restlessness feeling.

I luckily started taking Lexapro and didn't have any more w/d symptoms.

Good luck to you! hang in there! :)
  5. 3sa

3sa New Member

Thanks to everyone for the info. I'm going slow & have some nausea, a slight headache. I just can not afford the Cymbalta , and I'm tired of gaining weight. I've gained 40 lbs. in the last year. This wouldn't be so bad , but I was overweight to begin with and now my knees are giving me trouble.
    Thanks again!
  6. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Well for me that was one of the worst to come off of.....go very slow and I mean as slow as you can go...if at all possible have a doctor help you. The side effects for me were weird....sounds like my head was wooshing making noises....and dizzy. I hope you have no where near the side effects I had.....wean them that is all I can say and I wish you good luck.
  7. ryder442

ryder442 New Member

I have been sufferng for years now with misdiagnosis and doctors mistreating my symptoms. I recently was accepted into a study using Cymbalta. This study is to see how higher doses 120mg affects fibro. Does anyone have any feedback on how much this drug helped them?
  8. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

Cymbalta has greatly decreased my pain levels, and brain fog. It's also been the best antidepressant for me.

Many drug companies offer free or subsidized meds for those who can't afford them. I imagine the programs vary with each manufacturer, but you can find info on the websites.
  9. 3sa

3sa New Member

I looked into some programs, but unfortunately, I do not have insurance & am not eligible for state assistance. I have only been in Arkansas for a month, and haven't had the funds to go to a dr. , but that is a great option I will be looking into soon I hope.

I still have a mild headache, and I feel a little tense. I have some minor aches ,but the weather here is cold and icy. I tried a unconventional solution for the headaches and tension. Back to the basics, a little marijuana. Not legal , but it helps me.

Thank you to everyone for their input. Please keep it coming.
  10. soffy

soffy New Member

11. 3sa

3sa New Member

I would let my Dr. know, but if you continue taking it , the side effects should mellow out. I still get that shaky sweat. My decision to quit Cymbalta was a difficult one. Mostly because this withdrawal sucks. I personally think that I would rather try a more natural approach.
  12. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

When I tried to quit cymbalta it was horrible. I couldn't do it. The physical and mental withdrawal was too much. My doctor put me on lowest dose of prozac to help with the process. Now I'm still on the prozac but at least it is only 4.00/mo. for the generic.

Hope you are doing ok and you aren't having as hard a time with it as I did.

13. 3sa

3sa New Member

The withdrawal isn't too bad yet. I'm down to 30mg from 60mg. I have a headache, but it isn't bad. My sleep pattern is changing. I used to go to bed at 10pm, now it's more like 2 am. I was waking up at 8 am and now it's 2pm. I don't know if that is related to stopping the Cymbalta or not, but all in all it's not to bad yet. I've been lucky so far.
  14. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Would your old doc send you a few more so you could taper off slowly? I would to from every other day to every 2 days and then every 3 and switch about every 3 days to 1 day longer.
  15. GeekyGranny

GeekyGranny New Member

Hi There!

I get my Cymbalta free. Since you have no insurance, go to and select Cymbalta and follow through with the questionnaire. A form will be put together for you. You have to have your 1040 from last year.

The site will bundle your forms in to a pdf package you download to your computer. Open it up with Adobe Reader and print it out. There are fields you probably more fields you will have to fill in. Take the filled in form to your doctor and have him/her fill in the remaining parts.

They can send the form in with your information and get you 3 or 4 months supply of Cymbalta for free.

Better hurry since you are getting so low. They provide forms for many medications as well as cards for generics. I've saved thousands of dollars using them.

Good luck!
  16. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

I know we all react differently but I just got off the phone w/ a dear friend who's being admitted (as I type) to the hospital right now, from the ER. She's been on 30 mgs of Cymbalta for a little over a year, and klonopin 1 mg for 3+ years.

Two weeks ago her perscriptions ran out and her doctor had dropped her as a patient for a mistake over an unpaid bill. I knew something "strange" was going on w/ her but didn't realize she'd run out of her meds cold turkey.

Well, other than increased anxiety, sweating, metallic taste in her mouth, brain zaps and muscle jerks, she thought she was doing okay w/o the meds...NOT so...

Last night she had a major set of heart palpatations that felt like an anxiety attack and then smaller sensations all night long. She said it felt like she was dying but she rode it out (she's 62). So when she told me what happened, I suggested we call her pharmacist since we couldn't get through to the doctor. I'd read on this board some of the problems associated w/ stopping both meds and begged her to go to at least the Urgent Care, but hopefully the ER. Urgent Care sent her via ambulance to the hospital. I pray she is okay.

I'm definitely ANGRY that her doctor was so flippant about dropping her as a patient for the supposed unpad bill ($60, which had been paid) and refused to allow her to get the refills. The pharmacist was floored as well and tried to contact the office as well but got no where.

Hopefully it is "just" anxiety attacks and NOT heart damage or a heart attack. It wouldn't be because of the Cymbalta or Klonopin, but because of going off cold turkey.

Please, be careful if you are going off it, or any drug, and make sure a doctor is aware of what you are doing. I hope you can get the meds for free.
  17. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

Hi, I don't know if you've stopped taking your Cymbalta yet, but I wanted to tell you that I am currently weaning down on the Cymbalta to switch back to Zoloft. I was on 60 mg a day of the Cymbalta. I'm taking 30 mg of the Cymbalta now and 50 mg of the Zoloft for another four days. I feel SOOO moody, and stupid stuff is making me cry. I also just snapped at my husband about something pretty minor. So, mind your moods when coming off of it! I don't feel like I have any control over my emotions right now, so it's a pretty awful feeling. Other than that I don't notice any other withdrawl symptoms.

The Zoloft worked really well for my depression, so I'm looking forward to being completely switched over. I ended up taking the other half of the Zoloft tonight (so that would be a total of 100 mg) because I got really upset by a friend's comment, and couldn't help crying about it, that probably should have just rolled off of my back. I don't want to go into Christmas being super emotional, that would just be a bad combination!

I hope you do well coming off of it. You might want to let your doctor know you are going to stop taking it, in case something more serious comes up.

Good luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/22/2008]
  18. 3sa

3sa New Member

Thanks everybody,
    I'm still weaning off the Cymbalta. I've been opening the capsules and removing some of the meds. Going with a little less every couple of doses. Yes, my moods have been off, but not too bad. I've gotten some headaches, nausea, and sometimes dizzy. I hope to be completely off by Jan. 1. I'm pretty lucky I guess. My withdrawal hasn't been as bad as others. Since moving I haven't been able to afford a Dr. We've gone thru some pretty tough times and we are lucky to have a roof over our heads & some food in the fridge.
    Thanks again for the support,
  19. tilla

tilla New Member

What I did was gradually lesson my dosage by cutting the pill into little pieces every three or four days until I was completely off. You probably will feel some withdrawal but not as bad if you stopped completely.
  20. tilla

tilla New Member

I used cymbalta for a number of years. It worked real well at first but I gained a lot of weight and started having breathing problems. Seems the lower dose does not work, you have to take the higher dose. Coming off is easier if you start taking another one at the same time and then stop the other that might be easier to get out of your system.

Now I take a low, low dose (because it is so expensive) of HGH by injection every day. That has taken my pain away entirely.