Cymbalta ...success and side effects

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by redgirl67, Jun 29, 2009.

1. redgirl67

redgirl67 New Member

Hello All,

I am new to the boards and just wondering if anyone has had any success with Cymbalta for fibro pain? I am switching from Celexa to Cymbalta because of the reported decrease in pain by fibromyalgia users. Any issues you with weight gain or other side effects??? I am a little afraid of what the transition from one drug to the other might be like.
    Sick and tired of feeling sick and tired but still willing to try anything that might help. Any input would be appreciated.
  2. momof3inks

momof3inks New Member

Hello redgirl67,

I am on Cymbalta now for almost 3 months. It helps with my energy and some of my muscle pain from Fibro. But not all. If there is a barometric change due to a storm, I am really in bad shape.
    I have not gained any weight so far on this drug. no real side effects other than when i first started taking it I had some bowel issues. Talk to your doctor about didn't last very long. The first week of taking it I also had sleep problems where I couldn't fall asleep.

So far I *think* it is helping me but I still have to take pain medication on some of my bad days.

Good luck!
  3. redgirl67

redgirl67 New Member

Thanks so much for your post. I am new to the boards and new to the have given me some hope and relieved some of my anxiety. Wishing you well!
  4. momof3inks

momof3inks New Member

You are most welcome!! I am new to this board too. I really find alot of support and information on this website, for which I am grateful. YOU are definately NOT alone. :) We can all help lift one another up, even though it's through the internet!! Just remember that not all medications work for everyone. I tried Lyrica and it was terrible on my body. That's the only drug that I don't like. You might also try a natural supplement called drenamin. It helps with your adrenal glands. When we live in pain 24/7 our adrenal levels get burnt out. This supplement is safe to take with cymbalta and helps me with my focus, energy and overall feeling of wellbeing. I recommend checking into it! Ultram is the pain med of my choice. It's not 'as addictive' as other narcotics, but is still something you want to be careful with. If you get to the point where you are not able to function due to pain, ask your doctor about Ultram.
    Also, if your doctor does not seem to know alot about fibro or give much support, find a new doc that does. These are the little lessons I learned the past 4 months after being diagnosed.

Take care!