Cymbalta vs. Effexor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by turtlelou, Jul 7, 2006.

1. turtlelou

turtlelou New Member

I was reading the thread (is that the right term?) on Cymbalta. I weaned off Prozac for a week and started Effexor, a cymbalta type drug, on Monday. I was dizzy a bit, a bit of dry mouth, and drowsy, but I noticed nothing else yet. Prozac worked fairly well, but if I can get even a bit more energy on a different anti-depressant, I'm willing to try. Anyone used Effexor for CFS? Has anyone had success with Cymbalta and decreasing chronic fatigue?
  2. TAM

TAM New Member

HELLO,
    YES I WAS ON EFFEXOR FOR ABOUT 3 YRS THEN IT STOPPED WORKING FOR ME SO I SWITCHED OVER TO WELLBUTRIN AND I HAVE A NEW DOC NOW AND HE ALSO PUT ME ON CYMBALTA ITS ONLY BEEN ALMOST 2 MONTHS FOR THE CYMBALTA AND IT HAS'NT DONE A THING FOR ME YET. BUT IT HAS WORKED WELL FOR SO MANY OTHERS. BUT EFFEXOR WAS GOOD, LIKE ANY MED OVER TIME IT STOPS WORKING. TAKE CARE, HOPE IT HELPS YOU.
    TAMMY
  3. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have been taking Effexor for about 10 weeks and it has helped me tremendously, although if you read through the posts you will see lots of positive and negative.

You can do a search, or go to my profile and click on my Effexor posts for more infor.

I still get some flare ups, but not as bad as before.

It took me me over 3 months to start it as I was afraid of the side effects, but after about 2 weeks, I really felt better. My current dose is 75 mg morning and 37.5 afternoon, which I think is fairly low.

I have no opinion on Cymbalta, as it is unavailable in Canada, but i believe they are similar.

Sue in Ontario