Cymbalta yet again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DVoit, Oct 16, 2005.

1. DVoit

DVoit New Member

You all have to bear with me. I want to take cymbalta but am so afraid. I don't know why. I guess the bad reaction I had to wellbutrin did a number on me so I have been sticking with the ones I know I am not going to have a bad event from.

You who are still taking it, has it really helped and those of you that just started, did you have any bad reaction? Thanks for your help. I am now on effexor xl. I keep hear that cymbalta helps with pain and that would be great. But it says it is a heavy duty antidepressant. I don't know what that means.

Donna
  2. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I didn't have any adverse reaction to Cymbalta other than drowsiness when I started. I take 60mg (2 pills) each evening; I take it at bedtime even though one doctor told me that it could actually help my energy level if I took it in the morning and stuck with it long enough for the drowsiness side effect to wear off. I tried that for a while but it continued to make me drowsy so now I only take it at bedtime.

I didn't notice immediate results but after 3-4 weeks I felt so much better. It really did relieve my pain. All through the summer I was almost pain-free. Don't know how much of that can be directly attributed to the Cymbalta though. About two months ago I began flaring again, and it has gotten progressively worse in spite of the Cymbalta. I have more pain and fatigue now than I did when I was diagnosed last November. But I've also had several major stress issues (including my dad being hospitalized for 6 weeks and his death just 4 weeks ago) that could be the reason for the major flare.

Even though the Cymbalta doesn't seem to be helping my pain these days, I'm staying on it for three reasons ... 1) it can't hurt me and I have no adverse side effects, 2) who knows if the pain may be even worse without it, and 3) I can certainly use what ever anti-depressant qualities it may have! I have noticed less depression and feeling more "even keeled" since being on it, although my doctor doesn't discuss that aspect of it much.

Hope this helps you. Good luck & take care of yourself!

Kat

3. JLH

JLH New Member

I have taken it, with great success, for almost a year.

I started out on 30 mg 1 x day (in AM) for a few weeks, then upped it to 60 mg 1 x day (in AM). That left me too sleepy, so I started taking, with great success, 1 30 mg capsule in the AM and 1 30 mg capsule in the PM. MUCH BETTER! This way, I did not have that sleepiness during the day!

It does help my pain level!!!

Janet
  4. karij123

karij123 New Member

My first post!

I have not been officially diagnosed with FM yet, but doc will probably do that in a few weeks (I think he wants to do more research!). However, due to my symptoms and a bit of depression, he put my on Cymbalta last week. He wanted to go with Effexor, but I asked for this instead.

I took my 3rd dose (30 mg 1x) today and the nausea is almost all gone. Not that it was terrible, but it was noticable. I take it with a little food in the morning. It does make me a bit tired, so am considering moving it to evening, but we'll see how the first few weeks go.

One side effect I am liking is that I don't have nearly the appetite I normally have. My dinner has been about half of what it was in the past, even on the first day.

I can't say that the pain is gone, as it's only been a few days. However, my finger felt like it was broken last week and now I have no pain in it. :)
  5. tanyasue

tanyasue New Member

I was on it for about 4 months and then off and now back on again for awhile (I am not sure how long). It has helped my depression and has not been as bad as some of the others. I haven't leveled off and stopped caring about anything like I normally do on AD's.

My worst thing as headache and nausea, but neither lasted too long.The benefits of pain relief were worth it. I don't have the pain relief like I did when I first started it.

I haven't heard that about the heavy duty part, just that it is different than most because it has two different medications instead of just one. It peforms two different ways instead of one-that is why many people find it effective.

Tanya Sue
  6. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

I was on Effexor XR 150 mg for the last 2 or 3 years. I started feeling more depressed, we tried upping the Effexor and that made be feel cruddy. Then we added wellbutrin, which made me act wacky, I snapped a couple times within the first week.

Now I am on Cymbalta and I have to say the depression is better, but the pain is greatly increased, as is my lethargy. I don't know if I can stand to stay on it.

Has anyone taken both Cymbalta and Effexor together? After this, I don't know which way to go.

Lisa