Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by susigirl53, Feb 17, 2007.

1. susigirl53

susigirl53 New Member

Does anyone out there know if Cymbalta really does help with the pain from fibromyalgia? My doctors have been suggesting it for awhile now.
  2. brensjoy

brensjoy New Member

I tried it for 3 months but it gave me terrible headaches so i took myself off of it. My doc. says its the best thing on the market for pain and depression. It just didnt agree with me. It also made me feel very loopy, but i do know other people who says it does wonders for them. I dont know if it helps with the pain from fibro because i was so focused on my headache so i couldnt tell. I hope it works for u.
  3. pat460

pat460 New Member

I have been taking it for about 3 weeks. It doesn't help the pain but it has given me more energy and that is why I went on it. I hope it continues helping and gets even more effective as my doc ups the dosage(only 60mg a day now).
  4. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

For me it worked WONDERFUL for a while. Started with 30 mg, and (thinking I was taking it for depression and NOT knowing it helped muscles), within an hour my knots were melting away. Felt good for four hours. Doc soon bumped me to 30mg twice a day...YEAH...Felt GRRRReat for about a month. Then started getting a lot of break through pain...Doc bumped me to 90 mg. Still had break through...Oh, and 5 extra pounds per 30 mgs of cymbalta!!!

Anyway, weaning off now, no sense in holding on to 15 lbs of dead weight if my muscles are too weary to carry it!

Hope it works longer for you!

5. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I was on Effexor then went to 90 mg of Cymbalta. Now I am weaning off Cymbalta onto another anti-depressant. The cost (Cymbalta) was very high for me (even with insurance). I was on the Cymbalta for almost a year and I still had pain but I think it did help my hands somewhat. It wasn't worth the $ to me. Just remember we are all different and it may do wonders for you. I have chronic migraines so I cannot comment on it causing headaches. I did have balance problems while on it. I don't know if it is related? Good luck.
  6. jessica0123

jessica0123 New Member

CYMBOLTA has been a life saver for me. first I tried lyrica and then Cymbolta all my symptoms and pain went away 80%
    I have tried so s omany thing I love it
  7. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Well it worked immediately for me, but it has lost some of its effectivness over the last month or so. I am afraid of weaning off of it someday, but I'm going to give it a good try first.
  8. joni77

joni77 New Member

I have been taking Cymbalta for over a year and it definitely helps me. I have gained a little weight and am now trying to be more careful about what I eat. I've taken many different meds but this one helps the most. I am very sensitive to meds and able to take only the lowest dosage. I would recommend giving it a try. I also have neuropathy in my feet and use Lyrica for the nerve pain. Does anyone else have nerve pain related to the fibro?
  9. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

I have severe nerve pain. I didn't even realize it was part of CFS/FM as it never gets mentioned in the lists of symptoms but it was one of my first really bad signs that I was getting s i c k! Does it help you with your nerve pain, the Cymbalta? How much does the Lyrica help?

I am on a really low dose of Lyrica. Two times I forgot to take it and felt like absolute hell in a really weird way. Now I am afraid of upping my addiction and then finding out it did nothing special and having to go through the withdrawal. Who knows what this stuff does to us. Not th FDA. Not the drug company that puts it out.

The doctors are pressuring me to add Cymbalta too. Such a stew of stuff disturbing all my body chemistry! If I can get up and go back to work, fine, I'll drink rat poison. But to feel 20% better? I think I'd rather take a vicodin when I can't take it. Addicting too but at least it works!

I'd love to hear your experiences and views about both these drugs. Thanks.
  10. Luxuria

Luxuria New Member

It was just suggested to me by a friend to ask my doctor about Cymbalta for my pain. I go back to see her in March. I am on Amitriptyline right now and it does work a little but not like I would want it to. I'm encouraged to try Cymbalta now with all these posts. I hope my doctor says yes and it helps me. I haven't had any side effects with my Amitriptyline so hopefully I will be ok with Cymbalta too.

11. myjoy

myjoy New Member

I too, have found I feel better emotionally, and have a better outlook...but no help with the pain so far.

I take 30mg per day. I see my doctor on Feb. 26th. I'm not sure if he will up it some more then.

12. sunshine2u38468

sunshine2u38468 New Member

13. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

cymbalta has helped my hip joints and my left elbow but hasn't touched other things. I have only been on it for less than a month and am just experiencing some difficulties.. I did have a few days where I felt good emotionally but i was on 30mg of cymbalta and still on 20 of lexapro.. but now I am in the pits. Panic attacks, upset stomach, headaches, etc. Am on 60 mg.
  14. cinbad25

cinbad25 New Member

I have been on Cymbalta for over a year. It has been my only life saver! I take 60 mg. a day. I can say that at least now, I can manage my pain. It no longer consumes me! This is the only drug that I currently take. I feel like crap most of the time, but at least I can function. I like a clear head. I hope it helps you the way that it has me!! HUGS!!!
  15. Luxuria

Luxuria New Member

Anyone out there taking both Amitriptyline and Cymbalta? I know that taking the two together the risk for seizure is increased but still really rare. I'm just wondering because the thing my Amitriptyline has helped the most is the pain from Costochondritis and my really bad panic and anxiety attacks. I never never NEVER want to go back to that place again.

16. SarahEnglish

SarahEnglish New Member

I had a really bad panic attack last year and then afterwards started panicking that I would have another. It was soooo horrible. I mentioned it to an aunt who is a counselor. She said the way to cure panic attacks was to try to have one, you can't make yourself have one. The next time I started to have a panic attack, I tried to have it and it worked, I couldnt do it and I have never had another. It is worth a try. I hope this will help someone.
    Sarah E
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2007]
  17. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

18. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have a friend who tried it and it did help her feel better, but she had problems urinating and stopped the med because of that.

Take care,
  19. joni77

joni77 New Member

You responded to a post I made back in Feb about Cymbalta but I forgot to check the boards so just saw your reply. I have to tell you that the Cymbalta has made it possible for me to walk again. I do have problem sleeping and, just like someone else who posted, I have a problem of completing urinating at times. But the good so far outweighs the bad. I don't think my doc has been brainwashed by the ads because it is not part of Kaiser's formularies so they don't really want to prescribe it but do because my doctor gets an exception. Fortunately, I have to pay only a small copay. With the Lyric and Cymbalta, I've gotten some small part of my life back, but it is hard to lose weight. I'm always looking for something to nibble on.