Cysts? Anyone get these more now? What to do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Aug 21, 2006.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Seems like I've been getting cysts lately (fluid filled). There was a cluster in my leg crease. I broke those up and they didn't come back. Now, I have one on the inside of my upper arm. I keep breaking it up and it keeps coming back. Is this a fibro thing? Anyone know anything to take to keep from getting them? It's just so bizarre.
  2. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear CJCookie:

Not sure what kind of cysts you are talking about, but this is one that does not have clear fluid.

Ingrid

Sebacous cyst

Alternative names:

Epidermal cyst; Keratin cyst; Epidermoid cyst

A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac found just under the skin containing pasty- or cheesy-looking skin secretions.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Sebaceous cysts most often arise from swollen hair follicles. Skin trauma can also induce a cyst to form. A sac of cells is created into which a protein called keratin is secreted.

These cysts are usually found on the face, neck, and trunk. They are usually slow- growing, painless, freely movable lumps beneath the skin. Occasionally, however, a cyst will become inflamed and tender.

Symptoms

Usually a nontender, small lump beneath the skin
    Redness, tenderness, or increased temperature of the skin over the area may occur infection
    Grayish-white, cheesy, foul-smelling material may drain from the cyst

Signs and tests

In most cases, your physician can diagnose a cyst based on its appearance. Occasionally, a biopsy may be needed to rule out other conditions with a similar appearance.

Treatment

Sebaceous cysts are not dangerous and can usually be ignored. At times, they may become inflamed and tender. Others may grow large and interfere with day-to-day life. In these cases, you can have them surgically removed in a physician's office. Alternatively, small inflamed cysts can be treated by injection of steroid medications.

Expectations (prognosis)

Most cysts may be ignored or treated with simple surgery.

Complications

These cysts may occasionally become infected and form into painful abscesses. Recurrence after excision is also not unusual.

Calling your health care provider

Call your health care provider if you notice any new growths on your body. Though cysts are not dangerous, your doctor should examine you to ensure that skin cancer is not present.

3. misskoji

misskoji Member

I get many scysts. I guess I'm not sure that it is part of these DD's, but I've had them for a while now. Sometimes they really hurt! Sometimes, you may have to have them excised (drained or cut out) Just wanted to let you know you're not the only one hun...
    Deanna
  4. misskoji

misskoji Member

My pcp put me on daily amoxicillin for this, also acne, wich is related to having scysts. I take from one to three a day, depending on what kind of an outbreak I have. I've asked him if it would make my body more resistant to antibiotics, and he said no, not this way. So maybe that's something you could consider?

Deanna
  5. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I get them often but mine are mostly filled with blood, my family Dr isn't worried so I guess I won't worry either,
    of course I am talking about the ones I get inside of me.

and on the outside of my body..yes I get them too, I get them mostly on my knees or hands altho not sore but just a pain in the butt.

Ann
  6. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I will try the vinegar and apple juice thing. It can't hurt anyway.

I guess I should ask my doc - I just have so many complaints that I feel weird adding another.