Cytomeglovirus! How is it connected to CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aussiegirl, May 17, 2003.

1. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl New Member

MY doctor said my blood tests proved negative to everything except cytomeglovirus.
    He said I have HAD it somewhere in my life...(I dont recall) and said it lyes dormant in your body and CFS can be the result of it.
    Anyone else know any more on this?
    I would really be interested!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

CMV is in the Herpes family of viruses and these viruses never leave our bodies once they infect us. Think of cold sores. When we get run down or go out in the sun, we can get a cold sore. This is a Herpes virus reactivating. All the Herpes viruses can do the same.

Viruses can also go "stealth" in the body, living below the radar of the immune system deep in our cells. They cleverly use DNA and RNA in a complex dance to avoid detection. Viruses like this can make us very sick.

CMV may have contaminated polio vaccines and infected millions of people. For most, it probably just goes into a dormant state, but for those of us with these illnesses, it can be a real problem.

Research is looking more and more to antiviral treatments. I recently had facial surgery and was required to take Famvir, an antiviral drug specifically for Herpes-family viruses. I went into a complete remission while on it. My doc and I are researching antiviral treatments.

I'm sure our medical professionals here can give you more info or you can look in our library or do a web search.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just so our medical professionals can see this and perhaps give you better info than I am able.

In the meantime, you might do a web search for more info.

Love, Mikie