d ribose do you take it? does it help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Aug 13, 2008.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

I was reading about it and noticed some people take it.
    I just wanted to see if it helped? What kind are you suppose to take and how much? I see it could cause diarrhea
    Does it help your energy level and your pain after any excersize. Do you recover faster?
  2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

Yes, I've tried it for 6 months - I bought it in pure powder form & take half a teaspoon in water twice a day. It's had had no effect whatsoever on me & I'm not buying any more.
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i just ordered it they say to take it 3x a day when you have fibro for at least the first month i think it is 5mg at a time they say also to take mag with it hugs charlene
  4. lmn

lmn New Member

What is it supposed to help with?
  5. charlenef

charlenef New Member

D Ribose for fatigue and fibromyalgia
    The use of D-ribose in chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia: a pilot study.
    J Altern Complement Med. 2006 Nov;12(9):857-62. Teitelbaum JE, Johnson C, St Cyr J. Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers, Dallas, TX, USA.
    This open-label uncontrolled pilot study was done to evaluate if D-ribose could improve symptoms in fibromyalgia and/or chronic fatigue syndrome patients. Forty-one patients with a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and/or chronic fatigue syndrome were given D-ribose at a dose of 5 grams three times a day for a total of 280 g. D-ribose supplements improved all five visual analog scale categories: energy; sleep; mental clarity; pain intensity; and well-being, as well as an improvement in patients' global assessment. Approximately 66% of patients experienced significant improvement while on D-ribose.

6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Anyone take the cheapest one from the store?
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

It helps me with energy. I take 10 grams a day (5 grams with breakfast and 5 with lunch).

I buy it from Swanson Vitamins, 300 grams for about $28.00.

I don't have FM so don't know if it helps with pain.

8. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i bought mine from viacost its like 27.00
  9. lmn

lmn New Member

Next step is to speak with my dr. and make sure it's ok with her. I'd love to get control over the physical symptoms, then maybe my anxiety will dissipate so I can stop the anxiety meds.
    God bless you all! :)[This Message was Edited on 08/16/2008]
  10. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i just took my first dose this morning
  11. charlenef

charlenef New Member

08/15/08 11:57 AM

Your source for the latest information on how to keep you, your family and pets healthy -- naturally!
    Supplement Articles Homeopathy Chinese Medicine Ayurveda Arthritis Women's Health Beauty
    Health Concern Articles Home Remedies Books & DVD's In The News Pet Care Pet Books & DVD's

Supplement Spotlight: Ribose

June 03, 2000 - By Lisa Turner — Vitamin Retailer April 2000
    Ribose, a naturally occurring sugar found in all cells in the body, is an essential ingredient in stimulating energy production. Ribose can benefit anyone from weekend warriors to working moms. Studies have shown that ribose boosts physical energy levels, reduces recovery time following exercise, increases performance and endurance, and reduces post-exercise stiffness and cramping. It also has applications in cardiovascular health, and studies show it can benefit those suffering from certain cardiovascular disorders, including ischemia (diminished blood flow to the heart).

What is it?

Ribose is a pentose (a five-carbon sugar) found in all cells in the body. It serves as a precursor to the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the primary source of energy required for all living cells. ATP, composed of adenosine joined with three molecules of phosphate, is vital in controlling energy charge in the heart and muscle cells, and in regulating the function of enzymes, electrolyte activity and other important cell functions.

Where does it come from?

Until recently, ribose was prohibitively expensive to manufacture, and was used primarily in the pharmaceutical industry. New bacterial fermentation processes that allow the conversion of corn syrup into ribose make mass production of ribose simpler and less expensive. Ribose is now produced through a sophisticated fermentation process with food-grade microorganisms, which use glucose to produce ribose. The ribose is then purified, crystallized, dried and milled.

How was it discovered?

Researchers have known about ribose metabolism since the 1930s, but its importance wasn't recognized until nearly 20 years later. Research on ribose metabolism began in the 1950s with early animal studies. In 1958, studies on humans began; the early focus on ribose was in the area of cardiovascular health. More recently, researchers have begun examining the effects of ribose on athletic performance.

What is it good for?

Ribose has two primary applications: cardiovascular health and athletic performance. When blood flow to the heart is diminished (ischemia), or when the heart is under low oxygen conditions (anoxia), the ATP stores in the heart are degraded rapidly. Supplemental ribose can rebuild ATP levels in the heart, and can improve the quality of life for people suffering from certain cardiac conditions.

Ribose can also improve athletic performance. Intense muscular contractions can cause a temporary lack of adequate blood flow and oxygen, creating a loss of the nucleotides needed to rebuild ATP in the cells. Ribose can rebuild ATP stores in the cells leading to enhanced energy levels, increased performance and endurance, shorter recovery time and less post-exercise stiffness and cramping. Additionally, it is possible that ribose may have potential applications in treating neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

The body uses ribose to manufacture glucose, required for energy production, and to form pyruvate, which enters the cells in an energy-producing process called the Krebs cycle. Ribose is also a key compound used to form nucleotides, essential compounds needed to produce energy for muscle cells, fuel metabolic reactions, synthesize protein, glycogen and nucleic acids (RNA and DNA), and transfer energy between cells to fuel normal activity. Ribose is also used to form cyclic nucleotides, compounds that are necessary for controlling electrolyte activity, including regulating the contraction and relaxation of heart and muscle cells.

How does it work?

The primary source of energy in the body is a compound called ATP, as described earlier. The "adenosine" portion of ATP is composed of a molecule of adenine and a molecule of ribose. The "triphosphate" portion of ATP consists of three phosphate molecules. When one of the phosphate molecules breaks off, energy is released. The ATP molecule then becomes ADP (adenosine diphosphate), consisting of adenosine and two phosphate molecules.

ATP stores are limited — in most cases, the body can hold only about 90 grams of ATP, enough to supply maximum energy for about 10 seconds. To overcome this limited ATP supply, the body uses various forms of recycling, including adding a phosphate molecule to the "leftover" ADP to form another ATP molecule. During aerobic metabolism, in the presence of sufficient oxygen, the recycling process works fairly well. However, during high- intensity anaerobic training like body building, the mechanisms differ. Under anaerobic conditions, cells get the extra phosphate molecule from creatine phosphate stores in the muscles.

It sounds efficient, but the ATP-creatine energy cycle can only supply about 30 seconds of maximum energy, because creatine stores are depleted rapidly. After creatine runs out, the body relies on a series of additional, complex reactions in an attempt to rebuild ATP stores. One of these is called the "myokinase reaction." In this energy pathway, two ADP molecules and one AMP (adenosine monophosphate, which contains one phosphate) molecule are combined to form an ATP molecule. Other mechanisms exist to help maintain ATR The salvage pathway uses ribose and AMP metabolic by-products to maintain ATP stores, or manufactures new ATP in a reaction called the de novo pathway.

What do studies show?

A number of studies attest to the effectiveness of ribose in promoting energy, both in cardiovascular and athletic performance applications. More than 150 peer-reviewed published studies point to the ability of ribose to boost ATP levels and improve performance of heart and muscle cells in the presence of impaired blood flow or reduced oxygen. Some highlights follow:

Studies have shown that significant reduction in ATP occurs during maximal exercise in humans. ATP levels in thigh muscle may be reduced by 13 to 37 percent following intense exercise, and up to 47 percent in other muscles, suggesting the usefulness of ribose to increase ATP stores.
    Ribose effectively increases ATP production in muscles. One study found that ribose boosted ATP production in both fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscles by 3.4 to 4.3 times.
    One study found that, following a heart attack, those patients who took supplemental ribose had normal ATP levels and heart function within two days. Patients who did not receive supplemental ribose showed depressed heart function after four weeks.
    One study induced myocardial ischemia in two groups of test animals, decreasing ATP levels by 50 percent. A test group of animals received ribose. In 24 hours, the ribose group had an 85 percent recovery of ATP levels, while no significant recovery was noticed in the control group.
    A small, unpublished study examined the effect of supplemental ribose on performance and recovery during and after high-intensity exercise. The study showed that peak power was 9.9 percent higher and mean power was 9 percent higher in the subjects who took ribose. Muscle biopsies showed that those taking ribose used their energy stores more effectively and recovered quicker after exercise.
    In a human pilot study (sponsored by Nutratech), athletes were given Ribocell ribose supplement. Preliminary results showed significant improvements in peak and average power performance. Currently, Nutratech is conducting the second phase of this study and adding 20 subjects.
    Is supplementation necessary?

Only trace amounts of ribose can be found in foods, primarily meat, so supplemental ribose can be beneficial. Normally, the body produces whatever ribose it needs, but ribose levels can become depleted during intense exercise. Supplemental ribose can help increase ATP levels following high-intensity exercise or periods of diminished blood flow in the body.

How safe is it?

Ribose is generally considered extremely safe. Doses of up to 60 grams have been shown to be safe. A few reported side effects include diarrhea and mild, transient hypoglycemia at very high doses (more than 25 grams per dose). Most excess ribose is excreted in the urine.

Is it available in combination formulas?

Ribose is available in single formulations, and in combination with supplements associated with energy production, especially those that require optimal levels of ATP, including pyruvate, L-carnitine and other energy supplements. Ribose is most commonly combined with creatine which — as was noted — supplies phosphate molecules.

Because it's a simple sugar, ribose is rapidly absorbed and easily assimilated. It may be taken in various forms, but hot protein drinks should be avoided, since, when heated, ribose may react with amino acids in protein and can become less effective.

What's the recommended dosage?

It is generally recommended that ribose be taken every day, to maintain steady cellular ATP levels. A total of 3 to 5 grams per day is generally recommended, or 2 grams before and 2 grams after workouts. Serious competitors or those with cardiovascular concerns may take 5 to 10 grams per day, starting with the lower dose and increasing gradually. VR

Tullson P, et al. Adenine nucleotide synthesis in exercising and endurance-trained muscle, American J Physiol, 1991; 261:C342-C347.
    Stathis C, et al. Influence of sprint training on human skeletal muscle purine nucleotide metabolism. Applied Physiol, 1994; 76:1802-09
    Zimmer HG, Ibel H. Ribose accelerates the repletion of the ATP pool during recovery from reversible ischemia of the rat myocardium. J. Mol Cell Cordial, 1984; 16:9, 863-866.
    Zimmer HG. Normalization of depressed heart function in rats by ribose. Science, 1983; 220:4592, 81-82.
    Zimmer HG, Ibel H, Suchner U, Schad H. Ribose intervention in the cardiac pentose phosphate pathway is not species specific. Science, 1984; 223:4637, 712-714.
    Zollner N, et al. Myoadenylate deaminose deficiency: successful symptomatic therapy by high dose oral administration of ribose. Klin Wochenschr, 1986; 62:24, 1281-1290.
    Zimmer HG, Gerlach E. Stimulation of myocardial adenine nucleotide biosynthesis by pentoses and pentitols. Pflugers Arch, 1978; 376:3, 223-227.
    Sorlie D, et al. Release of hypoxonthine and phosphate from exercising human legs with and without arterial insufficiency. Acta Med Scand 1982; 211:4, 281-286.
    Cassarino, DS, Bennett JP Jr. An evaluation of the role of mitochondria in neurodegenerative diseases: mitochondrial mutations and oxidative pathology, protective nuclear responses, and cell death in neurodegeneration. Brain Rs Rev 1999; 29:1, 1-25.
    Klivenyl P, et al. Neuroprotective effects of creatine in a transgenic animal model of amyatrophic lateral sclerosis. Nat Med 1999; 5:3, 347-350.
    Tatton WG, Cilanow CW. Apoptosis in neurodegenerative disease: the role of mitochondria. Biochim Biophys Acto, 1999, 1410:2, 195-213.
    Sutton JR, et al. Purine metabolism during strenuous muscular exercise in man. Metabolism, 1980; 29:3, 254,
    Plilm W, et al. Effects of ribose on exercise-induced ischemia in stable coronary artery disease. The Lancet, 1992; 340, 507.
    Cheetham ME, et al. Human muscle metabolism during sprint training, J Appl Physiol, 1986; 61:1, 54-60.
    McCartney N, et al, Muscle power and metabolism in maximal intermittent exercise. J Appl Physiol, 1986; 60:4, 1164-1169.

The information presented at Vitamin-Resource.com is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace the services of a health practitioner licensed in the diagnosis or treatment of illness or disease. Any application of the material in this text is at the reader’s discretion and sole responsibility. If you have a persistent medical condition or your symptoms are severe please consult a physician. Statements on this web site about health conditions and remedies have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Search Health Concerns

12. ~jean~

~jean~ New Member

has anyone found one to be better/more economical then another?

Looking for a short cut to find what will work/cost less.