D-ribose vs Low dose naltrexone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by znewby, Apr 3, 2009.

1. znewby

znewby Member

There probably aren't too many that have tried both of the above, but I am wondering if those who have tried both would say you got more benefit from one over the other? Of those who responded well to d-ribose did you get a big lift from ldn as well? Thanks.
  2. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

I tried low dose naltraxone while I was one Valcyte and it did nothing. But then again, Valcyte just wiped me out. I might try it again.

I tried D-Ribose for one month and didn't feel that much, but the informal studies show good results. It seems to really work for some....give it a try for a month or two.

So to answer to your question...I didn't and I apologize.
    But good question
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have not tried naltrexone, but have tried D-Ribose (am currently taking it actually). It has made a very big difference for me. The dose does make a difference, though....too little and it doesn't help much, too much and I feel a bit like I do with too much caffeine (although not as bad). Of all the things I have tried (and there are a ton), the D-Ribose is one of three that has made a very obvious difference. One thing that is important to note, though, is that since it helps the mitochondria to produce ATP, along with other things, it likely won't help much at all if you are deficient in those other things (CoQ10, B vitamins, Magnesium, Acetyl L Carnitine).
  4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Ribose did not have an effect on my energy level that I was able to perceive. No side effects, but I cut it from my supp list after the bottle of powder was gone.

LDN on the other hand has made a major difference for me.

It may depend on whether you have causative factors more related to mito (ribose helps) or more autoimmune (as mine are, and as LDN is generally recommended for).

5. solipsist66

solipsist66 New Member

Hi.. I posted the other post asking about D-Ribose. I'm confused.. are LDN and Ribose comparable.. I guess I am confused why you were adking if people tried either. (Sorry I am fogged right now and I know nothing of LDN). I really don;t know much of D-Ribose, but I was reading "From Fatigued To Fantastic" and like half the book is about it.. so I was wondering how people did on it. I wonder if there are any drug interactions..

Anyway-- Which brand/from of D-Ribose do you all recommend? I would be more interested in a capsule than a poweder I think (mixing is inconvenient..haha)

Thank you all for your help!
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

There are not drug interactions with D-Ribose. It is not a drug. It's a sugar that normal working bodies can produce enough of, but those of us with ME can't. Also, even though it's a sugar, it does not effect the body the way that other sugars do, so even diabetics can take it.

As to LDN, it is a drug that can help the immune system. I don't know a lot about it, though. People often want to try one treatment at a time to better be able to see what is helping or not and/or what is causing side effects, herxing, etc. So that could be why the original poster asked which of the two has helped people the most....to try to figure out which one to try first.

As to capsule vs powder, I use the powder....I don't mix it with anything - it tastes great by itself, so I just scoop out a few spoonfuls - actually it helps get rid of the awful flavor of the B vitamins.....plus I take so many other supplements, I get really sick of swallowing pills - it's nice that this doesn't have to be a pill....and almost all the pills have other ingredients added, which ups the likelihood of having an adverse reaction - the powder is just straight D Ribose[This Message was Edited on 04/04/2009]