Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marlene35, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

Today I started taking d-ribose. I'm taking it in small doses several times a day. For those of you who have used it, how many weeks (months?) does it take before noticing an improvement in energy. Thanks.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I noticed an increase in energy within a day or 2. Also, caffeine increases its effect so if you drink coffee or tea, add it to that.

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I didn't get any increase in energy from using D-Ribose.
  4. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

I appreciate all of the replies. I can't drink anything with caffeine as it makes me too hyper to sleep. I imagine the caffeine in itself would increase the energy a little though.

I'm really hoping that this supplement will help as my energy has been very little during the past several months.

5. matieofleaves803

matieofleaves803 New Member

what is it, please
  6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I don’t feel more energetic when I take D-Ribose. I am able to do more before post-exertional exhaustion sets in. I have to take a small dose with food or I get low blood sugar.
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

d-ribose is a special sugar which the mitochondria use to make ATP, their primary source of energy. It's rather expensive in the health food stores, I buy mine on-line from Swanson Vitamins.

It helps many people (including me) with energy, and others don't notice a difference.

It has a very short half-life so my doctor recommends I take it 5 or 6 times a day (1/2 tsp. at a time). I do add it to my morning coffee.

When I first started taking it, I was taking one or two scoops a day and apart from an initial burst of energy for a couple of days, did not notice any benefit. However, I've been taking the 6 small doses a day now for a couple of months and its effects are still noticeable.

8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

D-Ribose does not affect candida.