1. laura_belle

laura_belle New Member

hi...i recently purchased d-ribose from life-extensions and they sent me a bottle of d-ribose tablets the vegetarian tablets..on the back of the bottle it says a serving is 5 pills. the servings per container is 20. it also says to take with food. now my question is for others who may be taking this....do you take all 5 at the same time with food...or spread it out...and eat 5 times a day and take one? or do you recommend taking less than it says...and does it still work? any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    thanks so very much in advance! have a great night!
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

came in tablets, I buy it in bulk and usually take 1/2 tsp as I feel I need it. Then drink some water after. Or sometimes just put the 1/2 tsp in the water and drink.

I can't comment on the one you purchased.

Overall it gives me a bit of a boost when I need it. I didn't take any today to come to think of it.

You can always call them and ask if you don't get an answer here. jam
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I buy d-ribose in the powdered form like Jam. I used to take about the equivalent of 2 tsp. a day, or 4 - 1/2 tsp. I'm now taking about 1 tsp. a day.

Dr. Sarah Myhill of the UK says that d-ribose has a short-half life and is better taken in small doses spaced out rather than one large dose. So I would space out the pills. Also, I have no idea what is the dose contained in one pill.

I think it would be good to compare the amount contained in one pill vs. powder form. It might give you a better idea of what to do.

She also says that caffeine increases its effect - I add it to my morning coffee.

Mary
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

It is of benefit to people with reduced muscle energy pools. People with Fibromyalgia reach the anaerobic threshold in their muscles earlier than normals also people with fibromyalgia ( and most with ME/CFS) have an abnormality in high-energy phosphate metabolism, as evidenced by significantly lower levels of ATP and ADP in affected muscles.

So, since ribose increases the synthesis of adenine nucleotides (ATP, ADP and AMP) you would expect it to help for those people. You need between 5 grams to 10 grams daily, preferably taken AM, midday and night, so about 2 grams per dose. ( a level teaspoon of the sugar would contain around 2 grams). The safe upper limit is around 60 grams per day.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/09/2013]
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Can't remember my dose but I do remember it did nothing for me.. good luck
  6. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I take 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp and it gives me a boost of energy to be out all day. It does help me.
  7. ...over the past few weeks since starting d-ribose and glycine. I started about 4 to 6 weeks ago and I don't know if its the combination of both or what, but I have noticed a boost in my energy levels. I still crash if I overdo though. Pacing is key. But I take a tsp of the d-ribose each morning with the glycine in a cup of tea... and it def seems to be helping. I like the powder form because I already take so many other supps AND it gets into my system quicker. Hope you find that it helps you too, laura belle. I would split up the doses if you have that many to take.

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    She'll :)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/13/2013]