Dad is in early stages of AD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by prairiegirl, Mar 24, 2003.

1. prairiegirl

prairiegirl New Member

Hi. I am new to this board but I have found it so interesting and helpful. My Dad has recently been diagnosed w/ AD at age 59. We do not know much about this disease or what to expect. I have been reading some of your entries and am amazed at the similarities to my Dad. We have noticed over the last two years that his personality has changed. He was diagnosed with prostrate cancer and had surgery 1 1/2 ago and since then he has never really been himself. He is so negative all the time. You try to have a conversation with him and he always ends up critisizing whoever you talk about. He is especially mean to my Mom. He swears all the time and he never used to. He is hoarding money but we can't understand why because he will probably not be able to enjoy his retirement anyway. It is really frustrating because some days he can be so good and then all of the sudden he is crabby and negative again. He is a very personal person and now it is even harder to relate with him. I have read on this board that medication can help with his outbursts but I know he would never relay to the doctor that he has them and he will not let anyone go with him to his appts. I have soooo many questions. How fast does this disease progress? My Dad drives 150 miles a day for his job and he recently told us that he has to stop and think really hard sometimes where he is going and why? Is it safe for him to still be working? My Mom and are so concerned but we do not know enough to even know where to begin. Thanks for listening and if you have any advice we would love to hear from you.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Prairiegirl, did you find the AD board? If not, please let us know.

I sure am sorry to hear about your Dad, that is so very sad.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. bejo

bejo New Member

My husband is in early stage of Alz.too.He did finally agree to go to the Dr. and was diagnoised last Oct.He won't tell me when he has problems I just have to catch them myself.His personality change is big too.People who knew him but not well don't really notice much difference,but it's there.If you want the Alz. message board go to the top and click on message boards, a list will come up and click on Alz.Don't feel bad,I'm usually lost too.(((((hugs for you))))) bejo