Dad passed away, can't attend funeral...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pam_d, May 26, 2006.

1. pam_d

pam_d New Member

My friends here will understand this...I just got out of the hospital after ongoing chemo treatment for leukemia; while I was there, my Dad passed away suddenly.

I am too ill right now to travel to the funeral, a plane ride away, which is today. I know my family totally understands, but it sure is hard.

Many folks here have often had to miss significant events like weddings, funerals, births of grandchildren, etc. due to their illnesses not allowing comfortable travel, so I know you'd all understand.

My Dad was 91, a WW II veteran who served in Europe, Africa, and the Pacific. He was probably the nicest guy you could ever meet. At his age, he still worked a few hours a week as a business forms salesman, sold to a few banks and school districts....they loved him so much, they wouldn't let him retire!

I will miss him a lot. Thanks for letting me do my "crying" here today. I know my friends here understand, many have had to do "long-distance grieving"...

Hugs,
    Pam
  2. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Lots of hugs! I am so sorry that you are facing so many challenges at once.
  3. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a wonderful man. Even if you can't be their in body, you can be there in spirit. Just posting about him today, is your memorial to him.

Take care, Sally
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

What a joy it must be to know your dad was loved. I'll pray for you.
  5. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Your father sounds like he was a wonderful man. God kept him around a long time. The world needs more men like him in it.

I'm sure he wants you to fight the best battle you can with your health. I'm also sure he'll be right there beside you too.

Ill send a little prayer off for you and your family.

Eileen

6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

you and your family in your time of loss. Even though he was 91, I'm sure he'll be missed. Terri
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I will keep you in my prayers. It is so hard to lose a parent. God bless you.

Love, Mikie
  8. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Pam,
    I'm so sorry. I'm glad you have a place to come where people will understand. You will be in my thoughts.

Kathy.
  9. dellalvn

dellalvn New Member

Pam,
    I am so sorry to hear about your dad. If I could make a way for you to travel in comfort, you bet I would do it for you. Having never lost anyone close to me, I must admit, I don't exactly know how you feel but can imagine. I will be praying for you and your family to have peace and to be comforted by our Father in Heaven. I know your dad will be greatly missed and sounds like he was a fine example of a man. Della
  10. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I`m so sorry to hear you lost your wonderful father. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,
    Sandy
  11. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I am so sorry. It will be hard not to be at the funeral. Perhaps you can say prayers for him at your home.

Thank you for sharing about what a wonderful man your father was. How lucky you were to have someone so special in your life for so many years.

Please take care of yourself.
    Shana
  12. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Pam ,I am so sorry about your Dad.He is one of this country's Hero's and his service is greatly appreciated.
    Your sadness also touches my heart.I am a military wife.
    You know the song "I'm Already There" well your dad is home now .He will always be with you in your memories ,thoughts ,the faces of his children.We never loose them, they just go ahead of us to prepare a home for us and future generations.God bless you.I wish you a calming peace and a touch from an Angel
  13. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

Pam, I just lost my mother last month and I was unable to attend also. I did not feel guilty as I know that my health is so unpredictable that I have to allow myself these absences through no fault of my own. I have few good days and a whole bunch of bad ones. I try to make the best of the good ones. Sorry for your loss.
  14. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I am so sorry you have to go through so much at one time.

I can honestly say that I DO know how you feel...it happened to me in Sept 2005 with my Mom.

It will be hard being away but with me, I just had to accept my limitations and know that I was doing the best I could at the time.

Your Dad sounds like a wonderful man, I'm sure he had many stories to tell.

Please take care, concentrate on getting well and celebrate the life of your Dad as best you can.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  15. kbak

kbak Member

Bless you. Your there with your dad in spirit and love. Please take care. I'm so sorry for your loss.

K.
  16. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....for your very kind thoughts and prayers. I knew others here would understand, having been in this situation before. These illnesses do keep us from long distance travel.

I know my Dad would NOT want me to jeopardize my treatment right now, but it sure is hard not to be there to support my Mom and sister---they do understand, of course, and were adamant that I stay here and work on getting well.

Thank you again, good friends.

((((Hugs)))
    Pam
  17. board

board New Member

so sorry know how you feel just lost my mother on th 26 of last month thinking of you at this sad time jill
  18. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Pam,

I am so very sorry that your dad died. He would understand your not being there. I'm sure that doesn't help when I know, you would give anything to be there.

My dad died three years ago. I miss him so very much.

Your dad was a wonderful man and had so many achievement's in his life. The most important one being that he was a kind and beloved person.

You will be in my heart and prayers, as well as your entire family.

Grieving is a hard JOB. It doesn't go away in a matter of days, weeks, months, or years. Somehow it becomes a little more bearable. Somehow.

Love,

Kim
  19. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I am so sorry that you are going through this loss and the pain you are enduring.

God Bless You,

BlueSky555
  20. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You know he would understand but I know that doesn't make it easier.

Sometimes I just don't know how we stand the pain we must withstand. I don't know how we do it.

Take care of yourself and that will be your tribute to your Dad.

Marta