Dad's better now it's my mom (update)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alaska3355, Feb 12, 2007.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

My mom has had unrelenting back pain lately (the past 6 months) and had an MRI. It showed she has a degenerative bone disease and possibly cancer. It's quite a blow for them, now that Dad's heart has stabilized with his new pacemaker. We could use your prayers.......
    She had the bone scan and it showed the suspicious spot to not be cancerous....Yay! She also has some new pain medication, so she is feeling some better. Of course, she still needs to look at her options as far as the degenerative disc disease, but the news today is good! [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2007]
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very sorry to hear about your mother's degenerative bone disease. I will keep all of you in my prayers.
  3. Busyknitter2

Busyknitter2 New Member

I am so very sorry to hear the sad news about your mom. Please know that you are all in my prayers.
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

The doc that saw her yesterday must have been a little inexperienced- he started crying as he told her the news was bad. That would shake you up! Anyway, she left not really knowing what her disease is called and feeling rather hopeless. I have posted this on the worship board, but wanted to let people know here, too. You are all such great friends to me.
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

I will Be praying for your Mom and Dad!,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

do not live nearby........I'm in Washington state and they are in Arkansas. I'm hoping to fly down to see them in the near future- maybe in March. I'll keep you all posted. She has a bone scan scheduled for tomorrow (Thursday).
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

is having a bone scan today. I'm praying that there is no cancer- that the suspicious spot they are looking at is benign.
    Take care, everyone!
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I am so sorry. I do think the doc did sound inexperienced and who knows he may be off on the dx. Spinal stenosis can be managed a little, and often small tumors called syrix can be seen on MRI's and these can be removed and are actually non cancerous.

I read a story in RD aqbout a woman who was told she had inoperabvle spine cancer and she went to five docs, who all were grim, and said suregy would leave her paralysed and she had months yto live etc., before she found this one real expert in NY City who took one look and said, this is stenosis and syrix and a small operation will take care of it.

So let us know how it goes and always get other opinions from someone who specializes just in that one disease.

Love Annie Cromwell
  9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

The bone scan was postponed, due to mechanical difficulties. But I will pass along your words of encouragement.....they could use them!
  10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I realized that I put the update at the beginning- sort of don't see it up there. Anyway, my mom does not have cancer- yay! The spot on her spine that looked suspicious was only an irritation caused by her arthritis. So she still has degenerative disc disease, but not cancer on top of it!
  11. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Although DDD is nothing to celebrate, not having cancer on top of it is.

Nancy B
  12. Busyknitter2

Busyknitter2 New Member

What wonderful news about you Mom. She does not have cancer. Your prayers where answered. Glad to hear that she is feeling a little better. It has to be a relief to all of you.

God bless; Pam
  13. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm so glad both your parents are fine and that your Mum doesnt have cancer. I know 'fine' isnt the word as they still have serious conditions to cope with but they're feeling better and thats great.

I've been reading your post but wasnt able to reply as I just lost my own Mum.