Daily Crash & Burn

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Sep 25, 2003.

1. achy

achy New Member

No matter how well I sleep, no matter what meds I take, no matter what activity/lack of activity my body gives out around 1-2:00. I start to feel like I've been up all night and HAVE to lay down. If I fight it I start to really hurt and get spasms.
    I'm 42 and taking a nap everyday like a toddler and nursery school!! Needless to say I can't work anymore (applied SSD 1&1/2 yrs ago..still waiting for court date) And it seems like I can't get much done anymore. I go for a walk in the am...hten one chore like load of laundry or vacuum, eat lunch...finish the chore I started and it's nappy time.
    Do you get this way to? If you found a way to stop it please share....

Warm fuzzies...zzzzzzzzzz
    Achy
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You sound like me. I crash too, have to have the 'nap' like the kids........

I do find if I pace my work/activities, and rest inbetween them I last longer. But that nap is definately part of my routine everyday.

If I vacuum the floor, then I go sit by the computer with the heating pad draped over the back of the chair for half an hour.

Then I will go wash a batch of clothes, and do the same thing! Heck of a way to live, but hay, it works for me, and I do last longer and get more done too.

If I clean a closet or something I will 'get into' and forget time, I learned to use a 'Timer', after a half hour or so of work, then I go sit, or take an hour nap.

If I do not do this, then I will crash for days with awful pain.

I take the walk about 2pm, then take a nap right after.

(I could never take a walk in the morning, I would get lost in my own yard I am so goofy in the am!).

If you find a solution for this, let me know!!!!

Shalom, Shirl
  3. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

That was me for so many years, and still is if I'm too active. I learned a long time ago to just go sit down and relax for a while until I felt better after each job. I read the timer idea on flylady, but I don't have one. I just try to get one job done, then rest. The burning out in the middle of the day was the main reason I had to stop working - that and the morning's were getting too bad. I would have had to get up 2 hours before I had to leave - and sometimes that would almost be when I got to sleep!

When I was young, undiagnosed and raising small children I could only do one housecleaning job per day. The house was a disaster, and of course I caught a lot of flack for it. Nobody understood, not even my mother.

That's the strange part. At the time she thought she had MS but it was her routine to take a nap from 1:00 to 4:00 PM every day. (She turned out to have FM) I never remember a time in my life when she didn't have to take her nap. But she was up at 7:00 AM and her house was perfect, even when I was out of the house and not doing my part (my chores). She also did Dad's books, took and made his business calls, arranged his estimates and made full meals every day unless she had one of her "sick headaches".

She was on a ton of meds - they were for MS but they did the job. Later, when she was in her late 40's & 50's she even taught night school. I could not figure out why she had so much more energy than I did in my late 30's & 40's. I finally realized the reason just 2 months ago, 20 years later - she was on a wheat-free diet! She still took her tons of meds, of course, and now I can see what specific symptoms they were all for. I wasn't on anything but antidepressants and an anti-inflammatory. I think I was on all of them at one time or another.

I didn't stop crashing, or feeling like zombie every morning, until I came to this board and started doing some of the recommended things, like water, sea salt, magnesium and changing my diet. Now I'm still not ready to take on the world but I can get up and feel normal and I can get my work done without having to go take a 4-hr. nap (and I never really felt much better after I got back up). I just take some time to stretch out in my lounge chair and I'm OK again.

I'm just starting to feel better and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it not only lasts, but gets even better after I start treating the specific problems. I'm not trusting this yet but I'm so encouraged.

I identify with you completely, believe me!

JoAnn
  4. dizzymindy67

dizzymindy67 Guest

hi my worst times is in the morning. from the time the kids go to school and till about 11am. im no good to anyone. its not till about 3pm i get going. by then my day is pretty much shot, school's out and time to make dinner and husband coming home from work. its frustrating to not be able to do what you need to do on a daily basis, w/out resting periods and catching flack from hubby. i get so tired sometimes when im home alone i dont eat alot, because im too tired and sore to get up. that's just ridiculous, i know. my fatigue is horrific!! im ever been a morning person ever anyway maybe fibro. was going on then and didnt know it. thanks guys..... im new. dizzy!
  5. dizzymindy67

dizzymindy67 Guest

hi my worst times is in the morning. from the time the kids go to school and till about 11am. im no good to anyone. its not till about 3pm i get going. by then my day is pretty much shot, school's out and time to make dinner and husband coming home from work. its frustrating to not be able to do what you need to do on a daily basis, w/out resting periods and catching flack from hubby. i get so tired sometimes when im home alone i dont eat alot, because im too tired and sore to get up. that's just ridiculous, i know. my fatigue is horrific!! im ever been a morning person ever anyway maybe fibro. was going on then and didnt know it. thanks guys..... im new. dizzy!
  6. srobins

srobins New Member

I also take a nap around 2 p.m. everyday. I pace my work activities by planning my week, writing down what I would like to accomplish. Then, depending on how I feel, I take my "ideal work day" & pick out the high priority items & let the rest go if I don't feel well.

I have found with this condition that you have to become a master at time management & getting the most done out of what good time we have. I have the nap planned into my daily schedule!

Good luck to you!

Sandy
  7. leah9798

leah9798 Member

Morning is the absolute worst for me, it takes me a good 5 or 6 hours to feel half way with it, and then by that time I need my nap. LOL. If I don't take my nap I've noticed I get migraines and feel sick to my stomach. So, no matter how good I feel I still lay down and take a break. My hubby is all over me too. It's really hard. I just wish he would understand. I need my naps!!!!! LOL Leah
  8. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

When I was that bad, I found doing 15 minutes at a time is all I could handle. I also found laying down for 20 minutes (resting not sleeping) four or five times a day helped. Stop fighting it, that's using your energy for something unuseful. I haven't crashed and burned for a several months now, love feeling this good! Will do an update on my progress next week, will be three months of treatment!
  9. toots2

toots2 New Member

I crash and burn daily but have to say that vacuuming is the one thing that causes me the most pain. Mopping is almost as bad. Moving those arms back and forth along with my hips and legs moving is just too much for me. Fortunately, my husband does this for me as he hates seeing me hurt. There are things I can do but cleaning the house is not one of them. Toots