Daily migrainesadvice anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luvdogs, Sep 7, 2008.

1. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I am having migraines every day. The problem started when my thyroid was in hyper mode, so I thought that my thyroid was the root of the problem, especially since it was making me so sick at the time. But now my thyroid is gone (surgically removed), yet I'm still having migraines every day. If I take Imitrex, the migraine generally goes away, but my insurance only approves 9 Imitrex a month. So now I just take pain medication, but it doesn't work. I just have to wait for the migraine to go away naturally each day. Any and all suggestions are welcomed!
  2. znewby

znewby Member

You may want to think about what you have been eating lately. Do you have a food sensitivity or an allergy? hot dogs? antacids? msg in chicken from subways? frozen chicken mcnuggets? some b vitamins? sam-e. Any of these things will cause problems for some of us. If I had a migraine for a week I would definitely revisit my doctor. Wishing you a fast recovery.

3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Darn insurance. (don't get me started on that whole issue!!!)
    I can't imagine suffering from a migraine every day, you poor thing!
    Have you tried Topamax? Will your insurance cover that - or do you know?
    I don't have migraines per se - I have terrible tension and hormonal headaches, but know that Topamax is used for migraines.
    I take it for my Fibro.
  4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I was getting severe migraines every day for the longest time It was horrible. Since they came at roughly the same time every day,I thought maybe I could figure out what was triggering them off. I came to realize that I am allergic to yellow dye which was in the multi-vitamin I took at lunch every day--and something called annatto which is a coloring agent used in many products and cheeses. I even got a blazing headache after eating some cool ranch nachos!! Once I eliminated these items from my diet, the headaches went to virtually non-existent.

5. annade

annade New Member

This past month I have had an almost daily headache (sometimes it a bad tension headache and sometimes it is a migraine). I use Maxalt (I only get 9 as well and sometimes that is not enough). I have gone to Urgent Care a few times with a migraine and they give me a shot of a strong anti-inflammatory called Tordol(?) which has always reduced the pain or eliminated the migraine for the time being.

I have been under a lot of stress lately and feel like my headaches are probably more muscle tension, but from there they sometimes become a migraine. I have been taking Naproxen (a prescription anti-inflammatory given to me by my orthopedist for my back pain). Sometimes it takes the headache away, other times it does not and that's when I take a Maxalt.

You might want to go to the doctor that Rxed the Imitrex and see if you can get some samples of Maxalt (very similar chemical make-up to imitrex). A friend of mine has daily migraines as well and she takes daily nortriptaline(?) as a preventitive and it works great for her. I treid it and it did not work well for me.

Those are all the suggestions I can think of. Hope you get some pain relief. Migraines are nasty!

[This Message was Edited on 09/08/2008]
  6. kd2

kd2 New Member

i've had migraines most of my life . you probably need to be on a preventive med. midrin,topamax,etc.i have been on topamax off&on for yrs.works great for me
  7. singingirl

singingirl New Member

I had migraines every day also. I have been on Topamax for 2 years now and have had maybe 3 migraines in that time. it has worked wonders for me. See if your insurance will pay for it and talk to your doctor. I had a reaction to Imitrex and can not take it. The thing with Imitrex is you have to wait until you have the migraine before you can take it, topamax prevents them.
  8. msSusan

msSusan Member

One person mentioned that B vitamins could be causing headaches? Would you explain why you had a problem?

I have been taking a good quality, veggie formula for a few years at a low dose. It contains Inositol(33mg) which when I tried to take as separate supplement for sleep was causing headaches. (dose was about 125mg?)

I just stopped taking this B Complex to see if it affects my 24/7 headaches. Not migraine but muscle issue in neck.
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Must be something going around! I've had migraines for over 30 years but never had them everyday until now! Just the last 30 to 45 days.

I take Maxalt and it works but I don't think I should take it every day. I'm lucky in that my insurance will pay for 27 a month. Doc tried for more, but they wouldn't do it.

I'd check with the doctor about samples but if they give you samples of Maxalt make sure you don't take it within I think it's 24 hours of taking Imitrex. You cannot take both!

I have not tried the preventative meds because my migraines have always been every 4 to 8 weeks and I could manage. I just don't want to be on yet another daily med! However, if this continues much longer I will discuss it with doc when I go in in October.

Hang in there, this is just no fun!

10. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I have not been taking B vitamins, but I have been taking a new supplement called Kavinace, and I wonder if that's the culprit. I also think stress is a big big factor, and considering that my Dad just passed away, and I just had surgery, stress is probably a big player. But I had started having cycles of daily migraines before all this happened. I'm hoping now that my thyroid is gone, the daily migraines will gradually phase out. We'll see. I also need to examine foods I'm eating, especially those with artificial ingredients. I called my neurologist to make an appointment, but she doesn't have any appointments available until December! I'm trying to get my doctor to call in a prescription other than Imitrex to the drugstore, and I will see if my insurance will pay. Oh, and can you take both Topamax and Lyrica together? I would like to try Topamax; my sister is on it, but I hate to add yet another drug to my long list.
  11. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

I too have had daily migraines off an on for about 2 years and chronic migraines prior. I saw a really good PM doc at UCSF (Dr. Rowbotham). He was concerned because I was on too many different medications, as was my internist. He had me taper off Topamax (migraine preventative)because it obviously wasn't helping anymore. I also tapered off Trazadone and reduced Flexerel to 2.5mg. Then he sent me to the headache clinic.

The headache clinic doctor at UCSF (Dr. Nagy) determined the migraines were caused by pain medication overuse. I wasn't overusing pain meds, but for migraines regular use leads to rebound migraines. He wanted med to go off all pain meds (Norco & Dialadid). He said I could taper off, but it's quicker and easier to go off cold turkey. He had a schedule to go on Prednisone for 6 weeks including the tapering off time. The Prednisone was to help with the side effects of stopping the narcotics cold turkey. I didn't want to go on Prednisone, so I'm taking the slow route.

At this time I'm off pain meds during the day, except for a few fibro flares. I still take either Norco or Dialadid to help me sleep depending on pain levels. In the last 2 weeks I've only had mild head pain 2 days for very short periods. Today I had moderate pms migraine starting.

Dr. Nagy wanted me to start Neurontin for migraine prevention, but I had recently started Lyrica so I didn't switch. He also suggested Melatonin for sleep since I was having such difficulty.

Finding a really good massage therapist helps too. When I first started I had so much muscle tightness everywhere and now my neck and lower back have greatly improved. The neck problems contributed to the constant migraines too.

Accupuncture has worked for me too, although it took awhile before results were lasting. If I happened to just be starting a migraine the accupuncture took it away, even the severe migraines that escalated quickly.

Getting daily migraines under control takes a lot of work on our part and a good team of doctors working together with you. I first started tapering off meds in April and I'm still working on it. All these changes haven't been easy and hopefully it's all fined tuned soon.

I forgot to add I take Relpax for severe migraines.

Good luck,

[This Message was Edited on 09/08/2008]
  12. mezombie

mezombie Member

have helped me immensely. I took that route after trying everything else available. Some remedies did nothing, some I became allergic to, and for some the side effects were too debilitating.

I see a neurologist who specializes in pain for my migraines. He gives me Botox or Myobloc injections about every three months in the muscles around my temples, high forehead, neck and shoulders. He uses a very thin needle, so there is little pain, and also uses very little Botox. The injections keep me pain free for three months; sometimes more!

If you go this route, make sure you see a neurologist who is familiar with this and has done the procedure many times.

Insurance may cover this. Medicare did for me until recently.

Another source for all types of migraine relief is

I know what you are going through! I hope you get some relief soon.

take care,
  13. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Just taking OTC Excedrin Migraine? I take that when I just have a migraine that is just hanging on but not becoming a full fledge migraine. Also, I found Gatorade at the start of a migraine helps me as well.

I've been suffering from daily migraines for many, many years and what has helped a lot is taking Tizandine (muscle relaxer) when I go to bed. It eases the muscles in the back of my head where the migraines start.

Right now I take Relpax for the migraines and they only give me six pills a month. My migraine dr. also gave me a small supply of Tordol that I can take for the migraines when I just don't have enough Relpax.

I was taking Topamax along with my Lyrica but the Topamax wasn't doing anything for my migraines. Also, has your dr. considered putting you on a Beta Blocker. I've heard these work great also for chronic migraine sufferers. Once again, they didn't do anything for me but you could always ask your dr. about these other treatments as well.

Keep us informed and let us know if you find something that helps.
  14. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Do you have any side effects with the Torodol? They gave me that at the hospital for a migraine and I had hullicinations (sp?) and horrible muscle spasms.

My DH was with me and he said almost immediately he noticed my legs jumping and my neck tightening. He could see it without even touching me.

They used to give me demerol at the ER but don't use it there at all any more. They use Benedril and Torodol or, shoot, can't remember the other one. But regardless, none of it works. My doc will give me demerol at the office. Guess I should plan my migraines for office hours!

15. kblackie55

kblackie55 New Member

i have been having migraines for years and the best thing i found is excedrin migraine. also bright lighting can cause migraines. i hope this helps.
  16. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

For now the migraines have stopped. I took my physician's advice and experienced one migraine fully with no medications. Evidently, it helps to go through the entire illness (migraine), until it ends. For some reason that stopped the cycle (for now). Also, I finally got my doctor call in something very similar to the Imitrex (something that starts with an "M"), and the insurance paid for it! So I now have 20 pills a month to cover migraines. I am so relieved. And yes, sometimes it helps to go through an entire migraine with no migraine pills. Painkillers won't help; you just have to tough it out. After that, you get some relief, at least for awhile.
  17. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I don't take Excedrin Migraine, because it has caffeine in it, and in the long run, caffeine makes my migraines worse. I took it once, and it didn't really help. It does help some people tremendously, but be careful about the caffeine!

I will look into the Botox injections (etc.).

Thanks for all the suggestions
  18. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

Hi LuvDogs -

Wow - I am hyperthyroid too - I have suffered from chronic, daily migraines since 2000.

I have been dealing with one for over 1 week now - tonight I took Frova, just one. It has seemed to help w/the intense pain, but I can still feel it in the "background."

Mold was the trigger for me - you can read my past posts on that subject. Screwed up my thyroid too, not to mention the CFS started amongst many other ailments related to CFS because of the mold. Could there be toxic mold in your home or workplace?

ABC7.com - they just had a story on yesterday about a surgical procedure for migraine relief. I missed the story on t.v. and haven't checked the website yet. Something for you to check out too! :)

Lately I have noticed my hormones (PMS) are triggering migraines because they are different than my "everyday" migraine. They are smack in my temple versus in my neck and up the side of my head. I plan to have my hormones checked as well.

I agree, too, with the diet. Certain foods, preservatives do trigger migraine for me. Perhaps you could do an elimination diet - chocolate, nitrates, artificial sweetners, provolone cheese, moldy cheeses, bananas - are some migraine triggers. I am a chocoholic - and being that chocolate is made out of "moldy" beans (search "mold diet" on your search engine), it is a no no for me!! :(

Hope this somewhat helps.

19. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Don't know what else to do,except keep taking the Maxalt or the Imitrex. Today was a bad one. I've got to stop this cycle.
  20. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

M A X A L T ! ! ! Someone else had posted about migraines and I responded and told them to try Maxalt.

I've had migraines for years and was given Maxalt and it was and is a "miracle" drug for me. Actually, if I catch the headache in time, I can take a small piece of one little pill and it will stop the headache.

If ANYONE has problems with headaches, PLEASE ask your doctor about Maxalt. Hopefully, you will be able to take this medication.

After years and years of waking up to nauseau, headaches, crying, walking the floor; what a miracle.

I'm glad that you finally have something, luvdogs.