Daily Muscle and sometimes joint pain Do I have FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 4skis, Apr 25, 2006.

1. 4skis

4skis New Member

I recently noticed that I am getting daily muscle pain in my legs and arms (especially my left arm/hand which has a history of carpal tunnel). I also noticed pain in my knees and ankles. Its not excruciating, just kind of nagging. It moves from one place on my body to another. I have been going through kind of a lot of stress lately, have struggled with mild depression and sinus headaches. I don't have muscle weakness or fatigue or any other symptoms that I have noticed. I'm pretty worried but I think that FM kind of fits my symptoms. I mentioned it to my doctor and she kind of shrugged and said to take a multivitamin and get exercise (and start taking Zoloft for anxiety which I am resisting). Does this sound like FM to you pro's!
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

4skis:
    Many times Fibromyalgia is defined as 'severe pain all over the body'. I go by the word 'severe'. We can arrest that with pain killers, but all of the other weird symptoms are enough to drive someone crazy.

Your doctor could have checked the trigger points on the body and see how many you have. Then she could have made a better diagnosis.

You may now have to start going on the doctor merry-go-round that some of us have had to do to find a good doctor who can diagnose and treat our Fibromyalgia.

Have you tried a rheumatologist? Worked for me.

nyrofan
  3. 4skis

4skis New Member

Thanks for your response. I'm hoping that if it is FM I can nip it in the bud. I am 41 yr old non-smoker with no weight issues. I have started taking Calcium/magnesium/Zinc supplements and Acidopholus (sp?). I also wanted to up my intake of Vitamin C but am not sure what dosage to start with and how to increase it. I am only on day 2 of these supplements and have been having a little stomach/intestinal upset. Is that normal? I have also started exercising again. It's hard with small children to do it regularly, though. I haven't noticed any abnormal fatigue other than wanting to collapse in bed at 8:00pm. I recently had a physical and all my blood work was normal, including sed rate and thyroid test.

Is it possible that this is from some sort of virus in my body? I did not have any physical trauma recently (or ever) that I can think of. Just anxiety and stress.

I plan on taking these supplements for a month and seeing how I feel. If its the same or worse I will be more aggressive with my primary care doctor.

Any other opinions?
  4. maggie428

maggie428 New Member

Now that last message has be curious~~~~What about artificial sweeteners?????

Maggie
    [This Message was Edited on 04/25/2006]
  5. 4skis

4skis New Member

No, occasionally I may choose that over real sugar in my coffee but not on a daily basis. Although, hmmmmm, I used to have a diet coke habit (one per day) which I recently kicked to help with heartburn.
  6. maggie428

maggie428 New Member

Thank-you and I will give that some thought. Although I have cut down on these sweeteners, but not completely!

Maggie
  7. 4skis

4skis New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Kat, Wow that was a really thoughtful, well constructed opinion. The only thing that really fits with FM for me is muscle ache that moves around the body, not consistently in the same place every day. Sometimes it feels a little flu-ish. The things that don't fit: its not severe, its not worse in the morning, I don't have fatigue problems.

I do have issues with sleep disturbances but that is partially because my youngest child frequently wakes at night. I started to sleep with him (his bed or mine) so that I could get more sleep but I think that may have caused issues with my neck/back which may be exacerbating things. I am working on fixing his sleep issues but right now its in the 'gets worse before it gets better' stage, I think.

I am softening on the idea of taking Zoloft as I have been worried that I have so much anxiety over my health these days that I am not interacting with my children and husband. In the past few years, I lost my mother to cancer and then last year my 46 yr old brother had a mild stroke. So, I am kind of feeling constantly like I am waiting for the next bad thing to happen. My doctor prescribed Xanax for anxiety attacks but being a mother of young children, I don't have the luxury to just pop off to sleep anytime.

I see my doctor again on May 23rd so I will see how I feel on the supplements. If its the same, I am going to ask for add'l testing just to make sure there's nothing horrible-terrible going on. In the meantime, I have also started doing my yoga tapes again and blew the dust off my treadmill for a quick 20 minute walk when I can steal away from the kids.

Thanks again!
  8. skierchik

skierchik New Member

You might want to read a post titled "I have CFS & Fibro, If I Cure CFS, Will I Still Have Fibro??" by Wakemeup.

I posted some information that might shed some additional light to your ?. I got it from one of my CFIDS books. Let me know if this is you?

Hugs,

Skierchik
  9. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

Did you take any antibiotics around the time your pains began? Levaquin, cipro, avelox, tequin and other fluoroquinolones are notorious for causing muscle, tendon and joint pain.