Dallas FFC? Now confused about hormones!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Connie3, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Connie3

Connie3 New Member

I had a hysterectomy (complete) 18 years ago and have taken hormones since because of hot flashes.

Dallas FFC doc said to take progesterone at night, estrogen cream daily, and testosterone troche under tongue daily instead of the estratest H.S. that I have been on for a while. My bloodwork showed low estrogen.

My internist does not agree and said to take estrogen cream only. Now I am having horrid hot flashes again and feel the hormones would help me feel better and maybe help me to have less anxiety. Does anyone have any input on this?

You have all been so helpful.

Connie
  2. mariee

mariee Member

Hi Connie,
    See my answer #2 under ??? menapause and....
    There is a terrific website for those who have had/are going to have a hysterctomy...lots of info about HRT...pros/cons.
    hystersisters.com

I am going through the same situation....
    My SIL is doing very well w. her compounded hormone replacement...so very new though, I am hesitant. She is using at least 3 types of hormones..very similar to what your gyno suggested...
    So much research to do!
    Good luck to you.
    Mariee
  3. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I am on all three of them too. I go to the Dallas FFC too. I can tell you that I felt much better after I started taken them. I felt more normal and I felt much less depressed.

My doctor told me the testosterone just isn`t for your sex drive. It affects your drive, energy and interest in life. The reason they tell you to take the progesterone at nite is can make you sleepy. My doctor increases mine to help me sleep.

I too had a hyterectomy, I have no menopause symptoms at all on these three. Lack of any of these especially progesterone can cause anxiety.

I hope that answers some of your questions.
    Sandy
  4. Connie3

Connie3 New Member

Sandyz

Thanks so much for responding. Are you not afraid of what the Dallas Doc prescribed. I think I will go ahead and do what he said, but I really put a lot of stock into what my internist things.

Did the FFC put you on thyroid too. I am waiting to start that. Just not convinced, yet.

Connie
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

Is that you should never take 'only' estrogen if your progesterone is also low.
  6. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I was tested fine in estrogen at the FFC so I am continuing to take 1mg. estrace orally. Maybe the cream your using isn;t enough for you. I also had a hyster in 1998 - have been fine with estrace. This is also a bio-identical which Suzanne Somers mentions in her book.
    Good- luck!!
  7. elsa

elsa New Member

I have full faith in compounded hormone therapy. In fact it is the last push into remission for me.

Food for thought .... Your internist may not be up on the latest endocrine HPA axis dysregulation that we CFS/FMS'er pretty much all have. It's a cornerstone of the illnesses and has been researched extensively.

Also, your internist is not going to like compounded hormones ... For many reasons, none of which are risk/safety derived.

If he is in a mco, then so is a particular lab and so is a particular pharmacy and so is/are particular medications the mco negotiated on prior to all signing.

Naturally occurring compounded hormones do not do that type set up any favors. In fact, my insurance company will not pay for compounded hormone therapy if the insured is over the age of 18 years.

Look closely at that one ... that age cut off strongly discourages bio-id treatment at an age that for many reasons could benefit greatly from them. My insurance company would rather I take the synthetic, pharmaceutical brands that they have contracted with. I'm not ranting on this ... it just "is".

Please don't get me wrong ... I love my internist too. He did amazing things in treating the CFS/FMS infections, sleep and boosting immune system. He knows nothing about the last stage ... hormone treatment ... and luckily admitted it.

My sister is a Dallas FFC natural bio-id HRT patient ... she doesn't have fibro ... She is on many of the hormones you listed.

I am on the same treatment protocol as FFC patients, just don't go there. I am on T3, cortisol, tiny, tiny amount of biest, testosterone injection 1xwk, GH injection nightly and DHEA/Pregnenolone. I worked a 14 hour day yesterday ... went to the drug store and grocery afterwards , came home and fixed a light supper, payed some bills online and then got ready for bed.

A far cry from where I was two years ago ... or even 1 year ago.

Please look up fibromyalgia and the HPA axis ... dysregulation. Also look up compounded hormones .... life extention website has some good info, so does power-surge. I think you will find that the compounded hormones are safer for you.

Testosterone is also going to give you many cardiac benefits ... (fighting off cardiac illnesses) and help prevent osteoporosis. Biest is naturally occurring substance and a combination of two estrogens .... one of them protects against many typs of "female" cancers.

GH's benefit is too numerous to list, but you can look up Dr's Bennett and Chaney and see how the studies and practical application of GH has made a huge difference in many CFS/FMS patients.

My Mother is probably going to switch from her traditional ob/gyn and go see my sister's doc in Dallas. She has liked how HRT has made her feel all these years. She wants to go the safer route with compounding HRT ... which has been around for a long time. Suzanne Somer's book just makes it seem new.

Good luck with this. I spent untold number of hours researching our illnesses and the latest studies. Mapped together a treatment plan and found the best possible individuals to help me. I have been in early remission since June and probably just a "skinny minute" away from full remission.

Take care,

Elsa
  8. Connie3

Connie3 New Member

Thank you so much for the info and support. Now I understand so much more and feel more confident with the FFC in Dallas. I am starting on the hormones today and expect good things. I am waiting on taking the cortisol and thyroid. Think I will try just one thing at a time.

Thanks so much for your patience and support.
  9. BethW

BethW New Member

Hi Connie,

I am a FFC patient too but in Atlanta. Docs had been giving me Premarin since my complete hysterectomy in 1986 and then all the new studies came out that were so bad about Premarin couple of yrs ago. My gyn then took me off of it thankfully. But I began to suffer with hot flashes. I have also started the testosterone cream, Biest cream and progesterone tab at night. I haven't had any of those wet as water drenching flashes and can tell they are helping me. I am so thankful to get the natural compounding hormones which from what I read and the doc told me are backed up by studies as so very much safer. Let us know how you are doing. It's all a little confusing at first, isn't i? My confusion at the moment is my nausea and diarhhea from some of the supplements and trying to figure out which one or ones. I know how you feel. We'll get it all figured out though, and for me, getting even 30% improvement will be so wonderful. Maybe we can encourage each other?

BethW
  10. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Yes, I am on T3/T4 thyroid. I knew I`ve had a thyroid problem for years. I had a goiter for awhile, then it got full of cyst and nodules. I was never put on anything because my reading just passed. My doctor at the FFC said the regular doctors don`t know who to read some of tests.

Also years ago, they raised what was considerded normal on the thyroid test. Before you would have gotten put on thyroid medicine at a lower reading. That`s when all these people started showing up with Fm. The FFC doctor goes by what a normal number would be not just that you are in the range.

What they are trying to do is give your body what it needs, building it back up so it can heal and function normally. We won`t have to stay on everything they give us forever.

Good luck,
    Sandy