Damned Red Tide

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just haven't been able to get my energy back and my cognitive functioning has been sub par. Weeeeell, come to find out, the Red Tide continues and is now killing manatees. The media made it sound as though it was over with the fish kill. This stuff is a neurotoxin; no wonder I have felt so crappy.

I've filed tax extensions and am doing what I can, but I guess I'll just have to ride this out.

Love, Mikie
  2. layinglow

layinglow New Member

You are right Mikie!
    The Ciguatoxin Article that was posted on Immune Support a few months ago, led me to research this.
    The red tides caused by dinoflagellites are very toxic.
    They can become airborn in ocean spray, so stay away from the beach, and any seafoods gathered in that area.
    They are responsible for the following symptoms:
    Prickling Pain
    Stinging
    Burning
    Slow Brain Electrical Activity
    Abnormal Brain Stem Auditory Response
    Muscle Spasm
    Neuroexicability
    Locally increased Calcium Concentrations
    Diarrhea
    Damage to small and lrg. intestines (if consumed)

Residual Long term symptoms
    Aching limbs
    pruritus,
    Insomnia,
    Malaise,
    Painful Joints.

LL
  3. sugar_crystal

sugar_crystal New Member

Dear Layinglow,

Those symptoms sound suspiciously like the symptoms of FMS, don't they?

Has anyone heard about any more research using cone snail venom to help pain patients?

I've been enough of a guinea pig over the years. Using a neurotoxin to cure neuological problems seems strange.

LOL,
    Crystal

PS The new regimen I'm on now has me sleeping 8-10 hours per night and waking up feeling great. I still have numbness and tingling in my hands and feet and tender points from the waist up. But I feel better than I have in years. Funny how a pain killer allows you to feel emotionally again. That's not the only thing I'm on but after years of trial and error, I really do feel better. I really pray that it lasts.

You are all in my prayers,
    Crystal
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate the good wishes and info. I really do not believe Gulf Water seafood is safe to eat, not only because of the Red Tide, but mostly because it is so contaminated with mercury.

I live a couple of miles from the beach, but when the algae blossoms dry, they are picked up on the breezes and can blow inland for miles. This stuff is so strong that even a tiny amount will cause reactions in people, especially people with neurological problems.

LL, this is very interesting info. Thank you.

Jelly, I wonder about MW too. Hope he is OK.

Crystal, I'm glad you are getting some relief.

I think there really ought to be Red Tide Alerts, but I'm sure the local businesses and the tourist industry doesn't want to scare away the tourists. I would be very concerned if I or my child had asthma as I've had trouble breathing, but no asthma myself.

Love, Mikie