Dan0248

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teach6, Nov 29, 2002.

1. teach6

teach6 New Member

I just read your two posts and thought it would be better to start a new one to you than hope you found my response at the bottom of a thread.

I wanted to let you know that people do get SSDI for FM, but it can be a long process. I'm living on LTD while awaiting my SSDI approval for CFS. FM, and a few others added in, too. I've also applied for disability retirement which will help with my insurance. Right now I am paying the full amount myslef.

As for your meds. Your doc is on the right track. I also take Tramadol and it has made a huge difference for me. Luckily it does not keep me awake. I think I would recommend your calling your doc and letting him know this is happening and ask if there's something else you can try that won't keep you awake.

That's assuming you weren't already having sleep problems before taking it. I also take cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) and it, along with Klonopin, Neurontin, and Trazadone help me sleep through the night. If you are having trouble sleeping, which most of us do, you will need to address that also. There are many here who are able to get by with OTC remedies for sleep or who use supplements. I've tried them, but needed more.

I hope this is helpful. By the way, welcome to the board. It is a great place to learn and get support from others who know what you are going through.

Barbara

2. teach6

teach6 New Member

I just read your two posts and thought it would be better to start a new one to you than hope you found my response at the bottom of a thread.

I wanted to let you know that people do get SSDI for FM, but it can be a long process. I'm living on LTD while awaiting my SSDI approval for CFS. FM, and a few others added in, too. I've also applied for disability retirement which will help with my insurance. Right now I am paying the full amount myslef.

As for your meds. Your doc is on the right track. I also take Tramadol and it has made a huge difference for me. Luckily it does not keep me awake. I think I would recommend your calling your doc and letting him know this is happening and ask if there's something else you can try that won't keep you awake.

That's assuming you weren't already having sleep problems before taking it. I also take cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) and it, along with Klonopin, Neurontin, and Trazadone help me sleep through the night. If you are having trouble sleeping, which most of us do, you will need to address that also. There are many here who are able to get by with OTC remedies for sleep or who use supplements. I've tried them, but needed more.

I hope this is helpful. By the way, welcome to the board. It is a great place to learn and get support from others who know what you are going through.

Barbara

3. dan0248

dan0248 New Member

Thanks for the reply, as I stated before this is all new to me. I have placed a call to my doctor and plan to talk about this and some of the other things I have seen and read on this page. I’m not a quitter; this will only make me look at other doors to try. As I said before I have applied for SSI to help me go back to school where I can learn some other way to support my family. I haven’t had a good nights sleep in so long that I really don'’ recall what it feels like. I hate taking drugs of any sort because of toxic build up in your system but there is a time when we must say enough is enough already. I have never drawn a day’s worth of unemployment until this Fibromylia has caused me to lose my job and I have worked in this field for over thirty-five years. What do I need to do for the SSI hearing and filing, I don’t have the money for Attorney so what can I do, I needed to know if some out there has applied for this a won. All I need is enough time and money to go back and retrain; I’m not ready to quit. So much for the short note that I planned to say was thank you for the reply.
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

To begin with, you will be applying for SSDI. It pays more and since you have worked up until now you meet the inital criteria for it. I would suggest you look under the disability button at the top of the page. There is lots of good info there to get you started.

Social Security Disability attorneys are not paid until you receive your award. You don't have to have one, but sometimes they can speed up the process for you. You want to use someone who does a lot of FM cases. That way they wil know all the little ins and outs of winning a case.

You also need to consider any other chronic health issues you have, such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, dysautonomia, to name a few.

Finally you need the support of a good doc. Before beginning the application process for both disability retirement and SSDI I sat down with my doc and had a long discussion about it and whether he would support me in my quest. He has been there for me 100%, which is what really can help.

Good luck!

Barbara