Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by budmickl, Mar 17, 2008.

1. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I can't beleive how good it's going to be this year!!!

2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I liked the young guy also the latin guy. All of the guys have a lot of personality! I am not familiar at all with Penn or the Radio host, but they seem like funny guys. Neither danced very well tonight, but maybe they will get better so they can stay around for a while.

The football player is hot too and dances pretty good!

Tomorrow we see the women!
  3. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I am excited! I am on the west coast, so I haven't seen it yet. I would love to be in the audience. My neighbor got in to a results show and had the best time!

We should keep a "Dancing with the Stars" thread going like last time. Thanks for the post budmickl. Kim :)
  4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

How fun that you got to be in the audience!! My neighbor also said the dance floor/set was much smaller than it seemed on tv. It sounds like my neighbor had a bit of a better view as they sat behind the judges a few rows back. Too bad the lights were in your eyes, I hope you were still able to see a lot of what was going on. Even though is was stressful, I also hope you were able to enjoy some of it, you lucky girl!

I grew up dancing, so I guess that is my fascination with this show. I thought the football player and the Latin guy(did he say he was an actor?) did the best for a start. I missed Steve Guttenberg's dance. It is awkward to watch at first, but it is fun to see the improvement as time goes on.

I hope everyone is enjoying their day and I will be watching the Ladies tonight. Kim :)

PS-Molly, my hubby doesn't like the show either. But he is a good sport about it (not making remarks) because he sees how much my kids enjoy watching it with me. Although they can not stay up for the whole thing usually because of bed time. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/18/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/18/2008]
  5. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I'm so excited! It's started for the women!!

6. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Molly-I hope you did get to hear it over the snoring, Lol!!

Well, we will all have to compare notes after the ladies are done dancing. Fun!!! Kim :)
  7. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I'm sitting here clapping like I was in the audience!!

8. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Well, I signed myself up to see if I can get tickets to be in the audience. I think you have to reply to your email within 4 hrs. or they move on, hopefully I will see it if it they do end up emailing me.

The girls seemed to do better than the guys. I had fun watching it last night. Kristi was really good, but I do think she has a bit of an unfair advantage with the skating background. They do dance on the ice in their routines. She was awesome though. The girl from Broadway sure had a lot of energy, fun to watch!

What do you guys think about the score they gave Priscilla Presley, I am curious to see what you all think.

Have a great day! Kim :)
  9. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Priscilla Presley actually got a good score for a first performance. I was just curious if anyone else thought Priscilla Presley's score was a little high. She got all 8's. She did fine, but I thought it was more of a 7. I was thinking maybe I need to go on the internet and rewatch it because I did not see what the judges saw I guess.

Steve Guttenberg is in some older movies like "Three Men and a Baby" and I think the "Police Academy" Movies.

I don't know if I will get tickets or not, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Good to know about the cell phones, I did figure everyone gets searched for security purposes.

Glad the board is up and running again. Kim :)
  10. kjade

kjade New Member

I missed the shows this week!! I didn't realize it was on until Tuesday, then I forgot to record it because I wasn't home & I watched American Idol later.

Why do they have to put all my favorite shows on around the same times?

Anyway, I heard about some of the people who are on this season....I think I know who all the guys are. Can anyone tell me which women are on? I already see Kristi Yamaguchi and Priscilla Presley, but I don't know who else there is.

How was Kristi? She was one of my favorite figure skaters growing up - I would think she would do quite well. (I was a figure skater most of my life too, and as part of my training, I had to take dance lessons).
  11. boltchik

boltchik New Member

The other girls were Monica Seles (tennis champ, she had a rough start), a Broadway star, whose name I forgot, but she was fun to watch with lots of energy, actress Marlee Matlin (I was amazed at how well she did not being able to hear the music, it was inspiring to watch), and Shannon Elizabeth.

How fun that you were a figure skater! Do you ever miss the days of competition? I competed on dance team in high school and continued to dance through college. I began when I was six. I really enjoyed it. My daughter takes tap now and I just love to go and watch. Some of the older girls are on competition teams and it just takes me back. Oh, to be able to do that again, fun!!

So, of course Kristi did a beautiful job, and got all 9's on her first dance. A little unfair? I would have to say probably, especially since you mentioned dance classes as part of a skater's training.

I would love to hear about your figure skating days, did you take it very far? Did you like it or love it? Hope you are having a great night! Kim :)
  12. kjade

kjade New Member

Thank you so much for the update! I will be sure to watch next week! What a bummer I missed this week, but I appreciate your feedback.

To answer your question, I skated from the time I was very young....I can't remember exactly, but I think I was about 7 or so. Yes....I LOVED it so much! It was my life! I did compete....one of my coaches told me I was Olympic material! Sadly, I gave it up when I was 16...my parents separated, and other things were important at the time....certainly my skating wasn't one of them.

We had an empty lot next door to our house, and it had a little dip in it. In the winter, my dad would run the hose, and fill it with water, and when it would freeze over, I would go outside and just skate & skate on that "pond"! It really was my true passion.

Then in the summer, I roller-skated in the street. We lived on a dead-end, so I would just go into the road with my little Sony headphones (with a cassette I made myself) and skate for hours. I was in a beauty pageant when I was 12 - my talent was roller-skating (since I could not ice skate). I ended up being a finalist in the talent part only. I remember practicing that routine over & over & over in my basement.

The reason I had to have dancing lessons for skating was all about grace - I learned mostly ballet. Although I took jazz & tap lessons too. That is really cool that you were such a dancer all your life too! I cannot wait until my daughter is old enough to dance (she is only 2 now, and my older ones are boys so....) I can't wait to sign her up for ballet and gymnastics and jazz dancing....who knows? Maybe she will want to try skating? Although, so far she is pretty much a tomboy - she does not seem interested AT ALL in "girly" things.....she won't even let me do her hair!!

Anyway, yes, it probably is a little unfair for Kristi that she has the background that she does, but she should probably do very well. I will definitely be watching next week, so I can give my own "humble" opinion!! Thanks again!
  13. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Well, it sounds like you have a great love of skating! And to have the drive to get to Olympic material status must be an achievement in your life that you can be really proud of. You must have many great memories of your skating days. The memories you described sound wonderful.

I took ballet, tap and jazz also. :) Jazz was my favorite and that is the type of team I competed on. Tomorrow night I am going to my nephew's girlfriend's recital and it is jazz dance at the high school, so I am very excited to see it. I am taking my 6 yr. old daughter with me also, I think it will be a great way to enjoy some mommy/daughter time together.

So, your daughter is a tomboy. Maybe it is just a rebellious 2 yr. old thing and she will let you do her hair soon. She is a cutie, I saw the pic you put up of her smelling the flowers. Who is that in your profile now? My daughter can be a tomboy once in a while too. But I think she is just trying to copy some of the girls at school who kind of have the surfer girl look going, with the slip on shoes and t-shirts. Personally, I think she likes being a girlie-girl best, but kids are always trying out things that their friends like.

Gymnastics is fun to watch, maybe your daughter will give it a try. Mine also tried that last year, and she had a great time with it. I think it is great for overall coordination if you want to keep with it or try for other things later like sports or cheerleading or dance.

Well, I am getting kind of tired, so I think I will turn in. I've got a busy day tomorrow and if I don't get a decent amount of sleep, I pay for it. It is so nice talking to you. If you see this and have the chance to reply, I will talk to ya tomorrow. Good night :) Kim
  14. kjade

kjade New Member

Thanks so much for all the kind things you said! You are such a sweetheart! Yes, I was very proud of my skating when I was young.....I wish they had video cameras (like they do now...my parents had one of those 8mm cameras back then that recorded with no sound, and you had to watch the films on the projectors) - I don't have much video of my skating though. But I bet if I watched it now, I would just cry.....cause I know I will never do it again.

A few years ago, my family all decided to go ice skating for fun. I could not believe how weak I have become....I could barely even STAND on the skates, let alone skate so gracefully, the way I once had. It was so depressing....I feel like I am too young to feel so old!! LOL!!!! Do you know what I mean?

Anyway, how are you with your dancing? Are you able to do the moves now that you did back then? Have you ever tried ballroom dancing, like we see on the show? I keep seeing this ad in our local paper for ballroom dance classes - I would just LOVE to learn to dance like that, but I know dh would NEVER join with me, and I am too afraid to go it alone. I know it is all so much harder than it looks!

Isn't your daughter your youngest child? And don't you have 2 older boys? How was your daughter growing up with 2 older brothers? My sons (who are 8 & almost 6) really never want much to do with me. They are very into sports and video games...you know "boy stuff". So when I had a little girl, I was so excited that I would get to enjoy doing the "girlie" things with her. But since she has these older brothers, she is more interested in playing with their trucks and games then she is playing with her dolls! Although, she does watch me very intently when I am putting my make up on. The other day while I was getting ready for work, she was sitting on the floor playing with my make up. I didn't notice until it was too late, that she had put mascara and blush all over her face, clothing and THE CARPET!! Oh.....what a joy!! But you know how TODDLERS can be!

I am a little worried about her going to school. The boys don't have any trouble at all with school & friends & stuff. But I have heard from my friends with daughters that they act like teenagers now when they are only in 2nd grade! They worry about other girls, and get all upset about cliques and stuff....what happened to being a kid for awhile? One of my friends daughters started telling her when she was 8 (EIGHT!!) that she felt like she was too fat and wanted to go on a DIET!! WHAT??? I didn't even know what a diet was until I was 14 or 15!! I am in trouble!

Wow...I see I have written a really long reply. Sorry Budmickl - I know the thread is about "Dancing w/ Stars" - I didn't mean to hijack. But I tend to write very lengthy replies...sorry. I just don't know when to shut up!

Well Kim, I hope you had a good time at the recital (I just can't wait to go to those) and I hope you have a good evening. If I don't talk to you before Tuesday (when I will finally watch the show) I hope you have a nice Easter. Give those kids a hug for me!!
  15. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hello again! 8mm cameras? I know you are a young woman, are you sure your parents used that type of video camera, Lol! Hmmmm.....well, come to think of it, my relatives used to show those types of home movies when I was really little.

So sorry to hear that you can't do much skating now. Maybe someday, I hope! But I know how you feel. I took my daughter to the dance recital tonight, and we had such a great time. It was so fun to watch and she was really into it. When we got home she wanted to do some turns like the girls were doing in the show. I was teaching her how to "spot" her turns and I got dizzy, Lol!!! So, no unfortunately I can't do all of those moves like I used to. But I still like to dance!! I just have fun with it even if it's not like it used to be.

I think ice skating is such a beautiful sport. Do you still watch the competitions on TV? I love to watch it in the Olympics, ice skating and gymnastics are my favorite. You are so lucky to have been a great ice skater, that is something I would love to learn how to do. (Well, maybe I should have tried when I was a little younger!)

Yes, my daughter is my youngest, she is 6, soon to be 7. I am planning her birthday party. One of my sons is 9, and my stepson is 17. I know what you mean about girls who have older brothers and no sisters. Yes, sometimes she is into videogames and Pokemon. But then when her friends come over, she is jumproping and painting her nails and getting out her Littlest Pet Shop stuff. Your story about the make-up is hilarious, I can just picture it! Well, maybe the make-up fiasco is a hint of things to come-maybe she really will enjoy girlie stuff and the two of you can do each other's make-up and hair.

Girls are definitely more drama at school than boys are. But, I bet your daughter will be just fine. They also show their love for their friends in a different way than boys do, which is so cute. Sometimes when I drop my daughter off at school, she finds a friend, they wrap their arms around each other's shoulders and off they go. They always hug each other when they see each other. :)

I hope you have a great Easter with your family also. I guess we did get sidetracked on this thread. But maybe someone will start a new one when DWTS is on again Monday.

It has been so nice chatting with you. Happy, Happy Easter! Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2008]