Dangerous Resistant Strain of CDifficile

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, May 28, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just got this from my Yahoo Home Page. I also heard a segment on a TV news show. Nowhere does anyone mention that one absolutely must take probiotics to avoid this kind of upset of bacterial balance in the gut, especially when taking antibiotics. All the doc on TV said that the cure was to take more antibiotics of a different type.

When, oh when, are docs going to figure out that if one disturbs the balance of "good" and "bad" bacteria, one must replace the good bacteria with probiotics? Even better, taking probiotics as prevention for Leaky Gut Syndrome will produce a more healthy gut to begin with. If we can figure this out, why can't docs, with all their years of medical school, internship, and residency, plus years of practicing medicine? Perhaps "practicing" is the operative word here.

If I sound angry, it's because I have never had a doc tell me to take probiotics with anitbiotics and none of my friends' docs have either. I had to take Doxycycline for 2 1/2 years to control a mycoplasma infection and I never had gut problems from the antibiotic, nor other antibiotics I've had to take over the years. I've been on probiotics for many, many years. Good health, and good immune function, begin in the gut.

I'm posting this because so many of us take antibiotics and we often visit docs and hospitals/surgical units. We are at risk for just about anything and I'm hoping this will help us avoid this nasty strain of the C-Diff bacterium.

Love, Mikie

ATLANTA - The number of people hospitalized with a dangerous intestinal superbug has been growing by more than 10,000 cases a year, according to a new study.

The germ, resistant to some antibiotics, has become a regular menace in hospitals and nursing homes. The study found it played a role in nearly 300,000 hospitalizations in 2005, more than double the number in 2000.

The infection, Clostridium difficile, is found in the colon and can cause diarrhea and a more serious intestinal condition known as colitis. It is spread by spores in feces. But the spores are difficult to kill with most conventional household cleaners or antibacterial soap.

C-diff, as it's known, has grown resistant to certain antibiotics that work against other colon bacteria. The result: When patients take those antibiotics, competing bacteria die off and C-diff explodes.

This virulent strain of C-diff was rarely seen before 2000.

"The nature of this infection is changing. It's more severe," said Dr. L. Clifford McDonald, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention expert who was not part of the study.

There are other factors that play into the rise of C-diff cases as well, including a larger of number of patients who are older and sicker. "And there may be some overuse and inappropriate use of antibiotics," said Dr. Marya Zilberberg, a University of Massachusetts researcher and lead author of the study.

The Zilberberg study was based on a sample of more than 36 million annual discharges from non-governmental U.S. hospitals. That data was used to generate the study's national estimates.

The research is being published in the June issue of Emerging Infectious Diseases, a CDC publication.

Using other scientists' estimates, the study concluded that 2.3 percent of the cases in 2004 were fatal — about 5,500 deaths. That was nearly double the percentage of C-diff-related cases that ended in death in 2000.

Many of the people who died had other health problems. The study did not try to determine if Clostridium difficile was the main cause of death in each case, Zilberberg said.

But earlier research concluded the infection is the underlying cause of thousands of deaths annually, and the problem is getting worse.

C-diff has become an acute health concern in Canada, where it was blamed for 260 deaths at seven Ontario hospitals recently, and 2,000 deaths in Quebec since 2002.

The Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology is currently working with U.S. hospitals to study prevalence of the infection and what infection control measures seem to work best.

"This is not a time for alarm, but more a time for educating health professionals to understand this particular pathogen," said Kathy Warye, chief executive of the Washington, D.C.-based association.
  2. spacee

spacee Member

I have had C-Diff and I totally agree with the probiotics.

My sis in law came as close as you can to dying from MRSA of the lung this Jan. Her Infectious Disease doc has her taking probiotics! That is a first that I have ever heard of. He has her taking them through the next year past flu season to try to keep her from getting the flu which triggered the MRSA.

Another thing about the C-Diff. After being on two rounds of Vanco and one of Flaygl, I had a colonoscopy. I believe with all my heart it was the cleaning prep for the scope that cleared out the C-diff from me. I hope I never have it again (because of probiotics) but if I do...first thing I will do the cleaning prep to wash out my colon. And keep taking the probiotics.

3. many thanks for your post mikie.im saving it to read later.

just wondering if i should avoid anti biotics or not.my chest stuff is clear,but seems to have mold spores in it.

got them coming out my ears and finger nails too.

but i dont want to upset my good gut bacteria,that cranberry juice has helped out.

oohh god,im so unsure of what to do right now,but im still going to my doctor tomorrow for advice on the breathing/skin itching problem that im currently having.

petrol fumes outdoors are about killing me while bike riding.

love fran
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They put ABX into my drip prior to surgery. They do it now as prevention for the common infections in hospitals/surgical units.

ABX have been a miracle and a curse. Misuse by docs and patients have been the biggest problem. It wasn't easy to make the decision to take the Doxycycline long term but it was the lesser of two evils. Chronic infections simply suck the life out of one. Bacteria take over the body to use as a host environment, making one too sick to do much of anything. Lyme and mycoplasmas are two of the worst. Acute infections, like MERSA and C-Diff can kill. So can the flesh-eating form of Staph. Sometimes, we simply have no choice.

Traditional medicine focuses on healing the sick instead of prevention. I believe it is as important to build up the immune system as it is to heal us once be become ill. That is why I simutaneously took colostrum, undenatured whey and probiotics. Later on, I took transfer factors but not for the mycoplasma infection.

I think we have to be the guardians of our own health. We can use docs to help us heal but we cannot depend on them totally for our well-being and good health and healing. If we can prevent illness, we are so much better off.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This has slipped over a couple of pages. I want to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to see it.

Love, Mikie
  6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

C Difficile is rife in the dirty hospitals here in the UK. A friend lost her mother and mother-in-law to it within a few weeks of each other.

MRSA is rife in them too.
  7. hi all,

in 1990,i birthed my last baby in my local hospital.

there was only two nurses to see to 8 birthing mothers,the nurses were very tired and stressed out.

i tore a blood vessel in my womb, when i birthed my son.

but didnt have to have a blood transfusion thank goodness.

and because other mothers were still giving birth,my vagina was packed with cotton wool.

my legs were still in stirups,my baby taken off me,and hubby sent home.

my bed was pushed into a store room,and the light left off.

the door ever so slightly open.

i was left in this state for one hour.

and it traumatised me.

im still afected by the thought of it to this day.

but trying to forgive and forget.

disgraceful treatment for new mums though.and ive read in my newspaper,that it still happens to them.

how horrible.

love fran
  8. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

I have had C-Diff 3 times and I nearly died the first time I had it! I was in the hospital for a week the first time. Then a week later was readmitted for a Staph infection from a contaminated PICC line the previous week! They had to give me Clindamycin for the Staph and Vancomycin for the C-Diff which wasn't cleared up from the first time! So, basically I had diarrhea nonstop for 5 months! So, I've been through the horror and fear and the terrible pain of one of the worst cases of C-Diff my doctor had ever seen. I was so bloated with C-Diff I looked about 8 months pregnant! And because of the Staph and then several bladdar infections and having to take antibiotics I had 2 more recurrances of it! My doctor started me on Probiotics while I was in the hospital and 7 years later I'm still taking them. If I ever get sick and need antibiotics, the doctor HAS to call my Gastroenterologist to ask what they can give me. Usually if it is a respiratory infection I go to my chiropractor and he gives me IV Hydrogen Peroxide to kick it, just so I won't have to take any antibiotics!! He has saved my life so many times! I am now terrified of antibiotics! I have had 2 surgeries since then and instead of giving me antibiotics after the surgeries they give me IV Vancomycin before and during the surgery so I won't get an infection. I won't ever be able to take antibiotics safely for the rest of my life! If I ever get a bad flu or pneumonia or something like that I would have to be in the hospital and given 2 kinds of antibiotics, one for the original infection and the 2nd for C-Diff! C-Diff is a Nightmare! Be safe and be very cautious about taking any unneeded antibiotics! And for sure don't take any antibiotic Long Term! This stuff is Deadly!

Take this threat seriously!
  9. hi all,

when i woke up from my 1995 hysterectomy operation,i couldnt pee.

id never before had to have a pee bag put into me,but at this operation in 95,i had to have a needle inserted into my pee department,and then my pee filled a bag,was emtied,and i filled another one.

the nurse said,,my goodness me,you were about to burst wasnt you?

anyway,just this year,in my newspaper,id read that the hospital have gotten rid of the needles used for inserting these pee bags into patients,as the needles were prone to the super bugs.

they,ve now bought a new type of needle,but i cant remember what id read,and didnt save the newspaper piece.

love fran

my chrnic fatigue came to me after this 1995 operation,and i was just eight weeks into my recovery when we moved to this run down,mold ridden council house.

a year after my operation a rheumatologist told me...

you,ve had fibromyalgia for many,many years,and now you have M.E/CFS.youve caught a virus that has traveled up your spine,and affected your brain.

we dont know where the virus came from,what it is,but we do know that you wont get better.this is the new you.

go and tell your family what i have told you,and tell them to help you with house chores.

if they refuse,then you should re asses your life,(leave them).
  10. wrthster

wrthster New Member

Thank you very much for posting this. I have tried to warn people on the board for about year who are on long antibiotic protocols of this very dangerous infection.

Everyone is so worried about fungal infections, and this in my opinion is far more serious. But none of the docs who administer the protocols either warn or test the patients who agree to do them. And that include the Lyme protocols.

Believe me, I was on Tindamax for 50 days because of this, and I am still not convinced it is gone.

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Who has responded. I am so sorry for those of you who have suffered so much.

There has been so much focus on MERSA, and rightly so, but this infection is dangerous as well.

The more we know, the better we can try to protect ourselves.

Love, Mikie
  12. hi all,

i read this piece in my newspaper,and thought id share it with you all.

the killer superbug " MRSA " can be beaten with garlic,scientists have claimed.

trials showed that allicin,a natural compound which gives garlic its distinctive smell,can cure patients suffering from the antibiotic-resistant infection.

in a trial,all 52 patients who took allicin capsules or sprayed a liquid on to their wounds,recovered fully within four to 12 weeks.

leader dr ron cutler,of the university of east london,said " this is a breakthrough in the fight against MRSA "

the infection officially kills almost 2,000 hospital patients a year,although experts believe the true toll is closer to 5,000.

a spokes person of the charity MRSA ACTION UK,said "we welcome any new developments in the fight against infection ".

love fran