Dangers of Common Drugs (like Advil and Aleve)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Sep 16, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Dangers of Common Drugs

If you take pain relievers like ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve), you may want to consider the findings of two new studies. Researchers from Harvard Medical School in Boston report that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and selective cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) inhibitors are linked to increased risks to hearts and kidneys.

The new research backs up previous findings that led the FDA to pull two COX-2 inhibitors, rofecoxib (Vioxx) and valdecoxib (Bextra), from the market.

Scientists report that test of COX-2 inhibitors uncovered kidney problems and arrhythmia in patients taking rofecoxib (Vioxx) but not in patients who were taking other types of COX-2 inhibitors, "Indicating no overall evidence for a COX-2 inhibitor class effect," write the authors.

In a second study, researchers report their review of previous studies confirms the findings from randomized trials regarding the risk of cardiovascular events with rofecoxib (Vioxx). They also report that celecoxib (Celebrex) may not increase the risk of cardiovascular problems in commonly used doses.

The researchers also report their data contradicts claims of a cardio-protective effect of naproxen (Aleve), which a previous study claimed would explain the adverse effects seen in trials of Vioxx compared to Aleve. The researchers also report serious questions about the safety of diclofenac (Cataflam, Voltaren XR), an older drug.

2. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

These meds will become the ones that are abused, not the narcoitc pain pills that we sometimes are prescibed. But medications like Aleve and Tyelnyol will become over used and abused as they don't work effectly.

You can already see it starting to happen. I hear this from many people that I know who don't want to take something stronger like mild narcoitc pain pill. So they will take the 2 pills of tyelonyl that it says to take on the bottle and still they have pain. So what happens is they will take more and more till they have taken more than is allowed by the company that makes it.

You know that if one pill works , then 2 are better and well 3 make just make it stop hurting all day.

But it does not work like that. Medications like Ibpruphen are a anitflamority, These pills take up to 3 days minimun to 2 weeks to really work and get the best effect.

They were not meant to be used as some thing for instant relief, but that is what they have been prescribed for. When I leaened of antiflamorities I was told that they don't work for at least 2- 4 weeks as they need to get in you system to get the best effect for you.. And now they are over the counter medications and are to be taken for instant relief of pain. But that is not how they should be taken.

What happened to the 2-4 weeks that it really takes for this medication to really work at it's best and to relieve the pain your having from inflamataion. When some thing in inflamed it does not just start in one day . Most times your muscles get inflamed from over use. And that is what the Ibprehupn was meant to be used for.

Aleve was for arithits and it too was to take up to a couple of days minimun for it to get to the full stregnth needed to be in the blood stream. But it too is not used that way.

My Pain doctor told me that he thought that some day soon people will be usuing far more of the over the counter pain meds than are good for them. Because they are eaier to get. NO script, doctors visit and yet they are becomming abused as they get taken in dose's that are far higher than the manufacture tells you to take.

I have heard some people who think that if you take one Advil and it does not work then take 2 and it will be better and soon your taking more than if they have been in the prescribed doesage;s.

Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Rosemarie