Dangling Participles, goofy headlines, etc- know any?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Aug 11, 2009.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

I think sentences with misplaced phrases, lack of appropriate commas, etc. are hilarious... I got these from online but see them all the time in magazines etc.

Newspaper headlines are especially funny! - there are so many examples, but here's a few:

5th-Graders Get to Grill Lions

Dealers will Hear Car Talk at Noon

Drunk Drivers Paid $1,000 in 1984

Enraged Cow Injures Farmer with Ax

Eye Drops Off Shelf

Iraqi Head Seeks Arms

Is There a Ring of Debris around Uranus?

Juvenile Court Tries Shooting Defendant

Kicking Baby Considered To Be Healthy

Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers

Queen Mary Having Bottom Scraped

Reagan Wins on Budget, but More Lies Ahead

Smokers are Productive, but Death Cuts Efficiency

Squad Helps Dog Bite Victim

Stolen Painting Found by Tree

Two Convicts Evade Noose, Jury Hung

Two Sisters Reunite after Eighteen Years at Checkout Counter

War Dims Hope for Peace

William Kelly was Fed Secretary

Enfield (London) Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide

Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges

Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery Charge

Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft

Kids Make Nutritious Snacks

Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half

Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead

Lawmen from Mexico Barbecue Guests

Man is Fatally Slain

Misplaced phrases etc:

- The burglar was about 30 years old, white, 5' 10", with wavy hair weighing about 150 pounds.

- The family lawyer will read the will tomorrow at the residence of Mr. Hannon, who died June 19 to accommodate his relatives.

~ Mrs. Shirley Baxter, who went deer hunting with her husband, is very proud that she was able to shoot a fine buck as well as her husband.

- Organ donations from the living reached a record high last year, outnumbering donors who are dead for the first time.

- The dog was hungry and made the mistake of nipping a 2-year-old that was trying to force feed it in his ear.

- We spent most of our time sitting on the back porch watching the cows playing Scrabble and reading.

- Hunting can also be dangerous, as in the case of pygmies hunting elephants armed only with spears.

- The zoo workers watched the monkeys intently as they removed each other's fleas.

- For sale: an antique desk suitable for lady with thick legs and large drawers

- 3-year-old teacher need for preschool. Experience preferred.

- After hastily summoning an ambulance, the corpse was taken to the mortuary.

Personally I just wish the cows had been reading aloud so I could hear the story!

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Nice to see you are able to post funny stuff again.

Here's a slightly different kind of funny sentence.
    "Needless to say, it was needless to say, "needless to say".

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I actually found this in our local paper at the age of 16. Now I am lucky if I can remember what I ate for breakfast, LOL!!

"The gun was found by the body." should have been "The gun was found next to the body"

My dad was so proud of me he gave me $5.00, which I thought was a fortune. Unfortunately, right now, it is a fortune. The joys of being on disability.

He also told me he would pay me $10 if I memorized the titles of all the books of the New Testament. I never did but maybe I should hit him up now!!

Funny stuff!!